S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

Default Getting back in...

I've been out of the game for a while (15 years) and finally decided to start skating again. About 8 years ago I got a call from my mom saying that she had put my skates (Riedell 595, Laser, Labeda Sprinter Oranges, ?Bearings?) in her yard sale and poof...I suddenly became $20 richer.

Now that I'm trying to get back in to some speed skates, I've been watching ebay, craigslist and the for sale forum here pretty steady (yes I've been lurking for a while). I think used is the best way to go since I don't live anywhere near a rink and I'll be doing mostly outdoor skating on tennis courts. I plan to speed skate (as best I can on the courts) for exercise, and who knows, if I feel good about it I may make the nearly 2hr drive to Wilmington and see if Cape Fear Speed will let me practice with them occasionally.

I want to make sure I get a boot that fits and since Riedell is what I know, I think I'd like to stay with that. But then again, if a different boot was available in my size, I would certainly consider it. Problem is that I really don't know what size I need and I can't remember what size I had previously. Yes I measured and used the Riedell stick, but don't feel real confident with that. Measured twice and got 2 different sizes. I really want to try a boot on, which is where I'm at now. I nearly bought a 7.5 595 on ebay last week, but backed out because I wasn't convinced it would fit. If there was anybody that lived within a couple hours of me (28570), had a boot around my size (7-8), and willing to let me stick my foot in it, I'd consider making the drive. I feel like if I go to a rink there will be a bit of obligation to buy. I'm just trying to get boot size right now...still doing my research on the plates and wheels. I'm going to post in the WTB forum as soon as I get a better handle on the boot size.
DiscoStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2
ThommyBoy
Quad Speed since 1981

Default Welcome Back

Welcome!

That is a true Mom HORROR story you got with the $20.oo Garage Sale story, funny they might pop up on eBay keep an eye out.

As to Quad speed you came back at a great time as there is a lot of stuff out, and a lot coming out too, so your choices are wide for everything from plates, boots, wheels and bearings.

Go bathe in the DocSk8 sub-forum for a while, as that man is, ...well THE MAN.

As to a boot size I'd go to the Riedell site and follow the instructions to print out a foot sizing if you want a Riedell. Bont will custom fit with a foot outline so they will be perfect for a bit less cash, but alot more patience[ think 1/4th a year].

Also many dealers will let you try on a new boot before mounting to make sure it fits.

I would also go used as there is a TON of great stuff weekly on eBay and here.

Cheers, THOM
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

Thanks Thom. Even though I've been lazily lurking for the past couple months, I have spent the past 3 days swimming in this site and half of that has been in DocSk8's forum. I think I'm going to have to take a leap of faith and buy a boot based on foot measurement alone. If it doesn't fit, then it goes up for sale. Given my situation, I guess that's my only choice since I want a used a boot.
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #4
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

I just bought a pair of used Riedell 595's with Laser's. It's a complete setup, but I know I'm going to replace the wheels with some good outdoor wheels. The bearings are a complete unknown. I'm so eager to get these things I can't stand it. It's a Happy Festivus miracle!!!!!!!!
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

Got the skates today and I'm a little disappointed. Busted open the box and tried them on...they were a little snug. And since they didn't have laces or insoles, I knew I was screwed. I bought what I was told was a size 8 and they are in actuality a 7. I would file a Paypal dispute, but it's not worth the hassle. At this point I'm thinking I'll just sell the boots and keep the plates. I did remove the plate to confirm the size so when I do sale the boots the buyer will know exactly what size they are getting.

Oh well, sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the fire hydrant. My search continues...
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

I've seen something like that happen on Ebay with inexperienced sellers. They see a "7" stamped on the plate and assume that is the size of the skates.
Sorry for your new skates not working, but check out the sales forums I thought I saw a 8 there little while ago!
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

I was actually going to snag a pair of bonts that got snagged two hours ago...
but the seller has these http://shop.ebay.com/varnerd1/m.html , listed also, well Worth your time to research and figure out your size, A heatable, mold able, inexpensive boot that won't cripple your Achilles tendon
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #8
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

Well, I bought a pair of nearly new 395's a couple of weeks ago and was ecstatic. Since my search began, I really wanted either the 595 or 395 boots, so I pulled the trigger. I took another chance knowing they might be a tad tight and I bought them even though they were a size 7. The boots were newer than expected and not even broken in. Slid my foot in and felt the toe box crushing my big toes. Dropped them off at the cobbler for a little stretchy stretch and 1 week later...better than before, but still crushing the big toe. I skated 2 laps at the tennis courts and had to take them off. My big toe on my right foot felt like I had dropped a brick on it the rest of the day.

On a brighter note, I strapped the 595's back on and took them for a spin at the local tennis courts. For some reason they didn't feel as bad as when I first tried them on a month ago. Skated for 30 minutes, doing some slow pacing with the intermittent hard couple of laps and felt ok. I gotta say, it's been quite a long time since I skated, so I'm truly happy to have started skating again on the 1st day of the new year.

It looks like I'll skate the size 7 595's until I run across some 7.5 or 8s.