S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old February 4th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #1
princessfluffhead

Default Quad speed skating in South Florida????

For a while there was a Stardust Speed Club out of Greenacres, but they left. No clue where they went. I am looking for a speed club anywhere from Martin County southward. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #2
xlracer

Stardust is still around. If you are in South Fl you are in an area that has more teams and more skaters in close proximity to each other in the country.
I can get you a list.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #3
xlracer

OK here you go.
Stardust - Tampa
SunCoast - Port Richey
Team Fl - Tampa
South Fl Blades - Ft Pierce
Team F.A.S.T. - Vero Beach
Super Wheels - Miami

Stardust and FAST have multiple coaches and skate at multiple rinks. All of these teams are inline teams but every single one of their coaches started on quads. If you go to usarollersports.org look in the resource tab you can find more info on these team and the coaches and contact info.
Good luck.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #4
princessfluffhead

Thanks. I was looking for quad rather than inline. I had gone to the usarollersports link but they had names and no numbers or rinks for Stardust out of Lantana, which seemed to be the closest. I guess I better put on my big girl panties and grab some inlines. sigh
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
xlracer

Dont remember seeing any Stardust folks at Quad Nationals but Team FAST had skaters for the last few years skating Quad Nationals. Good luck and yes you probably do need to get on the inlines if you want to compete again.
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
jwilson29

Wow Stardust in Tampa is still around. I skated with them for a little while in 83 or 84 before the new skating center in Carrollwood opened (which is long gone now).
jwilson29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #7
princessfluffhead

Any info or thoughts on speed clubs for kids. I have a 9 year old who is really into skating and is on quads and wants nothing to do with inlines. There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on for boys his age organized skating-wise around here unless you like artistic, which he does not. Since I could not find anything for me, I decided to give derby a go, but that's all girls too.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #8
xlracer

This might work for you. I was coaching the Nashville Roller girls and my youngest daughter was eaten up the the whole derby thing. She was 9 at the time and there was no Jr Derby yet. She liked the race part of the game and I knew there was a speed team in the area. I did not take her to a practice. The first thing I exposed her to was a meet. It was a small league meet maybe 60 or 70 skaters. A few months later we went to another one.
Different league but still a small meet so that it would be to overwhelming. I continued to coach and she skated lots of sessions on her quads. When her next birthday was coming around she told me she wanted some speed skates.
Soon after those skates were purchased she started skating for the Sprinters Speed Club that was a little over 3 years ago.
She still has her quads and they are a very nice pair of skates but she rarely skates on them anymore. She was the same way when she first tried the inlines very doubtful and uneasy but she took her time and learned how to do it right before she learned how to do it fast.
Bottom line here is let him experience the race without having to be in it. Those teams in South Fl have a league and have a meet just about every month leading up to Regionals. Renee Hildbrand has a lot of success with kids. She has been the coach for many a kid that has gone on to huge success at the world level. Good luck finding a program.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9
xlracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson29 View Post
Wow Stardust in Tampa is still around. I skated with them for a little while in 83 or 84 before the new skating center in Carrollwood opened (which is long gone now).
Not only is Stardust still around, the Tampa Classic still happens every spring.
They even have a race dedicated to Greg Marshall.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #10
princessfluffhead

That's a great idea. I plan to take your advice.
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #11
gbrouillard

@ xlracer - Speaking of Greg Marshall, I read about him passing and was really saddened by that. I had the pleasure of racing against him at a couple of speed meets and that guy was incredible. Somebody stated he was still skating at the time, was he still quad speed skating into his 50's.
gbrouillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #12
xlracer

I think his daughter skates. Some of the best two man relays I got a chance to watch had Greg and John Pennington skating against Tim and Tom Small and the Roycraft Brothers. Man there were some great skaters in Florida back then. Tim Sasser kicked my butt every time I raced him so did Bobby Green.
Old February 5th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #13
gbrouillard

Any of those guys still skating in the veterans division? I thought about sending John Pennington a message, but I just casually new him, and I doubt he would remember me. It was so long ago.

Last edited by gbrouillard; February 5th, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Needed to.
Old February 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #14
xlracer

None of those guys are still skating. The most significant skater IMO that is still at it is Buggy Allmond. He has been at it since 1959. I only know of one time since 59 that he did not skate and that was during his suspension in the 70's. He does not skate quads anymore so the Esquire Men dont have to worry about him.
I will try to get a list of names. My Daughter has nationals Programs from the last two years.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #15
gbrouillard

Cool, thanks xlracer.