S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Default A2a 2013... 38, 50, 87

Whos ready for it? 3 weeks away I think... I haven't seen much buzz on here about it, so I figured I would make a post.

I think (imo) we all need to look at the 38 as a alternative. A lot of people are scared of 87 miles(I am, lol). There are quite a few that love the 87 and do it with no problems, but I think to many people forget about the 38 also.. Its less than 12 miles more than a marathon, and we all do marathons right? Who planning on attending?

P.S. I will have a booth at the expo, and will be casting, have wheels, frames, packages, etc...
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
skategael

Jimmy- this is unrelated but wanted to say PROPS on the Speed Rev boots--I skate with Tash & her boots are absolutely gorgeous

Wish my last year or so has not been so crapped out physically cuz I really wanted to be one of those people who skated marathons, but my back & knee have kept me barely even able to skate indoors most of the time, let alone be able to get outside & train for a marathon (Northshore is the one I really want to do--at least once!)

Have a great time in Atlanta for all who go! Friends who have done it in past years have said it is a great (if grueling) time-
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
ese002

I'm in for 87 and planning to be casted for new boots. I hope to do better than at Duluth. ('Could scarcely be any worse). I'm hoping that my very weak downhill pace line practice this year doesn't bite me.

I think the 49 might actually be easier than the 38. It is longer but, with the exception of Silver, the hills in the second half are much less daunting.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Hans

Default 60% chance of rain :-(

Just checked on weather channel app and it looks gloomy. Any clothing suggestions you guys like? I've got some arm sleeves and an old Hyper wind breaker, but at 60* and raining this may be grueling. Btw I'm only doing the 38. Not as young as I used to be
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM   #5
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Just checked on weather channel app and it looks gloomy. Any clothing suggestions you guys like? I've got some arm sleeves and an old Hyper wind breaker, but at 60* and raining this may be grueling. Btw I'm only doing the 38. Not as young as I used to be
IT looks like the rain will be in the afternoon... at least that's what it said yesterday.. I have a few pairs of armwarmers, and I have knickers too that ill put on sale there!
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
gopherfan

Early in the week the A2A forecast was good, yesterday it was bad, but now it is looking good again with the rain pushed out to Monday. Wind 7 mph from the SE isn't great for those that continue on from Dacula to Atlanta (EDIT: I was thinking SW - wind directions are backwards inverse intuitive to me. SE would be nice from Athens to Dacula and a slight push to Atlanta).

If anyone is headed back to Athens after the race and has room, I'm looking. I'd like to do the 87, but would prefer to spend Saturday with my nephews in Columbia, SC and then drive to Athens Sunday morning.

Last edited by gopherfan; October 1st, 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I was wrong
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM   #7
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Early in the week the A2A forecast was good, yesterday it was bad, but now it is looking good again with the rain pushed out to Monday. Wind 7 mph from the SE isn't great for those that continue on from Dacula to Atlanta.
I'm showing 10mph from the East through Dacula and from ENE through Stone Mountain.
The course is approximately WSW into Atlanta so that's not too bad.

Not that I put much stock into weather forecasts this far out.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
I'm showing 10mph from the East through Dacula and from ENE through Stone Mountain.
The course is approximately WSW into Atlanta so that's not too bad.

Not that I put much stock into weather forecasts this far out.
Oops, I was thinking SW. SE would be great headed to Dacula and not so bad to Atlanta. Looking at a few other sites, I see some forecasts from the E like you mentioned that would be pretty awesome. A few years ago I remember some of the downhills being a little hairy with a tailwind.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Tallmarsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
I'm in for 87 and planning to be casted for new boots. I hope to do better than at Duluth. ('Could scarcely be any worse). I'm hoping that my very weak downhill pace line practice this year doesn't bite me.
What, you've been in a pace line since the last October? You've had downhill (or any hill) practice? Wow, I wish I were in your shoes (skates). I think I've been with other skaters in speedy mode once this year on a flat rail trail. Hills? In Detroit? Between this and the thin wheels I run (which are great for everything else) I sometimes have to step out of pace lines on the downhills (I can remember a time when that wasn't the case) and I usually end up doing 40 miles or so slolo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I tend to go to the local goodwill store in September and buy a disposable coat for around $4 and wear it at the start and for a few miles until the blood starts to circulate warmly. I have a professorly looking brown sport coat that I bought last year but didn't need so I may be sporting it at the start. Not as impressive as the guy that makes a costume out of a cardboard box, but it works. I tend go into it hoping that its garbage day (Sunday seldom is) and I can leave it on top of a can, but tend to actually leave it as neatly as possible at the end of someone's driveway where a garbage can might go.

Mark
Tallmarsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #10
Tallmarsk8

There is a second 2013 A2A thread at

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=49542

Moderators might want to stuck the two more togetherly.

Mark
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #11
gopherfan

Tropical Storm Karen
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Tallmarsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Will that increase the east wind? Will it cause the cars to hide in their garages?
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #13
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Blah... its not gonna get to atl until sun afternoon/night!