S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old November 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
hippykesh

Default Banked Indoor Tracks?

ANyone ever skated a concrete indoor banked track? pretty much skate to your maximum speed and if your leading the pack, dont stack,,,,......

I wish I could get your guys some photos of my local rink never skating anything like it,, massive banked indoor track...

cheers
kesh
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM   #2
oldkiwi

Where are you at??

I used to train at the Campbeltown indoor banked track South of Sydney and also occasionally venture over to the Bankstown banked track. I believe they are gone now.

Haven't seen an indoor banked track here in the States though.
Closest thing I know of are the covered 200m banked trackes in Gijon (world champs were there in September), Weinfelden (Switzerland) and the new one in Southern Germany which is only 1 hr from Weinfelden.

cheers oldkiwi
oldkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
ultrask8

Also several in Italy, and I think in Korea too. They also just had Asian Championships in China on a spiffy new indoor banked track.

Ultrask8
ultrask8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
hippykesh

Default Hey Brother.

Hey man,

I lived in campbelltown, I skated there from age 8 to about 18, talking late 80's through the 90's,,, It was such an awesome rink never experienced anything like it...been trying to find some photos to share with fellow members on here so can grasp how cool it was,,

all the best

steve
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Hot Lips

I'm confused - your current local rink has a banked track? Or are you talking about the former Campbelltown one? 'Cos if there's an open rink with a banked track within derelict-Beetle-driving distance of Sydney, I'm there ...
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #6
oldkiwi

G'day Steve...then you probably skated with Brett Smith, Mark Whitby, Clary, Peter Edmonds and Me (Johnny Pelzers) back in the day. Did you always wear a singlet???
I also lived in Campbelltown at Bretts Mum's untill I went and raced full time in Europe in 1987.

cheers oldkiwi
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #7
hippykesh

Default Hey those names are familair

Hey I think I knew you guys, I was younger then though, so around then I was just starting out, loved that place though was my second home.. and yeh I had a few singlets in my warbrobe

and Yeh I was talkin anout Campbelltown Track, I live in QLD now, the Campbelltown rink is now a Warehouse, you know those cheap stores like crazy clarks style,, ahh so ****!

steve
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #8
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Was it originally built for Derby??
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #9
oldkiwi

Nope...SPEED.
Derby wasn't around in Australia back then, don't know about now.

cheers oldkiwi
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkiwi View Post
Nope...SPEED.
Derby wasn't around in Australia back then, don't know about now.

cheers oldkiwi
Thanks--sounds like a good find.
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #11
hippykesh

Default unique

This rink was something a speed skater dreamed about having,,, it was perfect,, Im trying to track down photos from my youth to show you guys,, if I do find em,, please refrain from dissing me about my 80's styled clothes oh and my hair mum used to cut it!!!

steve
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #12
cass38a

The old Cambeltown rink was the best. It had a slik concrete floor with straights about 25 to 30 meters long and then a bank at each end. You could use rock hard wheels and just go flat out. My favorite thing about it was it didnt have any hand rails so there was never little kids out on it.

The old Bankstown rink was also pretty cool but was more like a light beer version of the campbeltown rink. It also had a second rink upstairs which was flat and kept the kiddies of the banked track.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #13
flemo004

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and think it is really cool there are so many Aussie skaters on here.
As soon as I saw banked track mentioned, I had great memories of Campbelltown come flooding back. The old Campbelltown rink was the best. In the early 90's, when Sue and Gary Weber owned it, I had to privilege of living there, upstairs where the offices used to be. My room had no windowns and a sloping roof, but it was awesome being able to drop down the bank and have a skate whenever I wanted.
It was also the best track to race on, and a real shame that it became a Clint's Crazy Bargains! I think there was a "bit" of mismanagement from the last owner - along with some personal issues - and that was truly the end of an era. The last night was good though, seeing a lot of old faces - Brett Smith, Pete Edmonds, Stephen Whyte, Neil Spooner, etc.
Man I miss skating the way it was here, and finding this forum has only made me miss it more!
flemo004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #14
AussieScott

Default Campbelltown

Yep I sure do remember it well.
Once place where inlines didn't have such a big advantage over us quad skaters.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #15
Rich71

How about this, if we all keep talking we can get it happening again.
Its good to see a few more of my Aussie mates. I'm sure we all know each other, i spend my whole youth skating at Campbelltown. Wednesday night training, Friday and Saturday night skates and Sunday road training. I was an intermediate in 87 and raced along teammates Lee Moise, Adam Smith and the likes of Robbie Bugo. Brett Smith took me to the races and i even tried to buy a Layland P76 off Whitby. Clary- i think owned a Green Mini. I also remember the last 5 laps of the speed skate - where if you could hold of Bretts mammoth pass on the inside you were sure to win, maybe. However if Whyte turned up it was scrapes for second.

Now those were the Days

Cheers Richard NSW 309

P.S Stayed tuned quad may come back if we can get the numbers
Rich71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #16
flemo004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich71 View Post
How about this, if we all keep talking we can get it happening again.
Its good to see a few more of my Aussie mates. I'm sure we all know each other, i spend my whole youth skating at Campbelltown. Wednesday night training, Friday and Saturday night skates and Sunday road training. I was an intermediate in 87 and raced along teammates Lee Moise, Adam Smith and the likes of Robbie Bugo. Brett Smith took me to the races and i even tried to buy a Layland P76 off Whitby. Clary- i think owned a Green Mini. I also remember the last 5 laps of the speed skate - where if you could hold of Bretts mammoth pass on the inside you were sure to win, maybe. However if Whyte turned up it was scrapes for second.

Now those were the Days

Cheers Richard NSW 309

P.S Stayed tuned quad may come back if we can get the numbers
I probably raced against you, as I was racing against Leigh Moyes in intermediate in 87, and I worked at the rink.
Why on earth would you want one of Whitby's P76's??? Funny the day he and Steve McGurr were at Chullora getting ready for a run off, Whit - P76, McG - RX7, and just as McGurr let the clutch go he mounted a concrete planter box and left his car balancing on it. Funny stuff!!
My intro to the bank track was when Brett pushed me into the wall at the grandstand end, I fell to the floor and slid down the bank. Lesson learned and I never made the same mistake again.

Stay tuned for the comback, I have spoken with Bugo and he said he would love to have a skate again - he is massive now days!! Quite frightening - and there seems to be enough interest to shoot something through to Skate Aust and see if they will back it.
I don't think we could get the likes of Boxhead and Spooner, but after talking to Spon about skating the other week, he started trying to track his gear down, so maybe he will surprise everyone...
I know AussieMatt is going to Emu Plains and trying to get some names and numbers of people who are interested, so if you are on board, let us know - if you can lend a hand to get it all up and running, that would be really cool also.

Any idea what happened to Clarrie, and what about Zoz???
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #17
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

I spoke briefly to the NSW Speed VP Daniel Thompson at Nationals. He is prepared to sanction quad races and run them *IF* other people are prepared to put in the effort of organising the rest e.g. venue, officials, equipment rule books, etc.

In other words, there is at least one person attached in some capacity to a state body (i.e. and the national body) who can 'pull strings' in favour of quad racing in Australia.

Good news indeed I thought.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #18
flemo004

That's what he was saying to me also, and I have passed this on to guys in NSW, so hopefully they are prepared to get in and give some help.
I have told him, while I am in QLD, if there is anything I can do to help out I will.

With the grim rink situation, they will more than likely going to be try and get some road events underway, so if anyone knows of a good netball complex or 400m velodrome, pass the info on so Daniel can see what he can do.

Nice one on the medal front at Nat's Merlin, good job!
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Jesse

Check this out...
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Rich71

Hi Flemmo, i was at nats in Brisbane and went to all the meetings, as NSW team manager. I also skated, i think after reading this board "Merlin' might have been in my grade. I was NSW 11. Daniel later told me about rumours of quads making a comeback. Its a pity i didn't speek to you and Merlin ( is that you Graig). Anyhows all good news. By the way, 309 was my old number in the day.

Cheers Richard
Rich71 is offline   Reply With Quote