S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #1
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default So how big is quad speed in USA

I keep seeing the threads and posts about Anabolix getting wheels ready for Nationals.

I was wondering how "big" is quad speed still in the US.

As you may or may not know, quad racing was "killed" off when inlines came in. And it is only in the last year that any quad racing has returned (but only road). And there is only at best 10 of us.

Would be nice to see what sort of numbers you guys get.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Randy Edwards
Senior Member
 
Randy Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,273
Default

in my part of Ohio atleast 30 we actually have organized speed meets but it is on a recreational level right now

a skatelogger actually wins this race


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKVQqHWsd4
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #3
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default Lol

Are my eyes playing tricks or are people actually racing in jeans?

Man that would get so hot!

Nice video though, thanks,
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Randy Edwards
Senior Member
 
Randy Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
Are my eyes playing tricks or are people actually racing in jeans?

Man that would get so hot!

Nice video though, thanks,
yep its just a rec league right now that league consists of 5 of the 21 rinks in my 45 min driving radius

if i was guessing there is atleast 600 nation wide but only a handful does nationals everyone else is doing just what you see in the videos

the good news is it seems it is building every week and getting more serious
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #5
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Edwards View Post
yep its just a rec league right now that league consists of 5 of the 21 rinks in my 45 min driving radius

if i was guessing there is atleast 600 nation wide but only a handful does nationals everyone else is doing just what you see in the videos

the good news is it seems it is building every week and getting more serious
Lucky you having 21 rinks in a 45 min driving radius.

We have 1 and the next closest is about 2hrs away.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #6
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last
 
BackofthePack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SoCal USA
Posts: 554
Default

Wow, nothing against those skaters but talk about a brutal reminder of how far this sport has come from when I raced just a few short decades ago.
__________________
A man is what a man does when it counts the most.
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #7
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last
 
BackofthePack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SoCal USA
Posts: 554
Default

Ok, I just watched some of the other vids and I guess all things considered I should give them props for getting out there and giving it a go. You have to start somewhere and it looks like they're doing a good job locally of promoting the sport.

On a side note, no one teaches/uses a down start off the line? And how many laps is an "endurance" race
__________________
A man is what a man does when it counts the most.
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left
 
Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackofthePack View Post

On a side note, no one teaches/uses a down start off the line?
The down start is not really used all that much anymore in our 'league'. I need to start working on it again.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:01 PM   #9
dirttrail1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Cool Hello Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
I keep seeing the threads and posts about Anabolix getting wheels ready for Nationals.

I was wondering how "big" is quad speed still in the US.

As you may or may not know, quad racing was "killed" off when inlines came in. And it is only in the last year that any quad racing has returned (but only road). And there is only at best 10 of us.

Would be nice to see what sort of numbers you guys get.
We have about 20 coming on a regular basis . There are more that show up on occasion. Chack us out on Facebook if you want.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clemmo...9762552?ref=mf
dirttrail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left
 
Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
I keep seeing the threads and posts about Anabolix getting wheels ready for Nationals.

I was wondering how "big" is quad speed still in the US.

As you may or may not know, quad racing was "killed" off when inlines came in. And it is only in the last year that any quad racing has returned (but only road).
Quad speed is starting to get a little more popular. Inline speed is starting to drop off. The inliners are complaining that the quad meets are stealing all their skaters.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #11
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
I keep seeing the threads and posts about Anabolix getting wheels ready for Nationals.

I was wondering how "big" is quad speed still in the US.

As you may or may not know, quad racing was "killed" off when inlines came in. And it is only in the last year that any quad racing has returned (but only road). And there is only at best 10 of us.

Would be nice to see what sort of numbers you guys get.
Quad speed is pretty small here. Our Indoor Quad Nationals is about the size of a regional league meet and it is open qualification (no qualifying, just show up). Inline may be dropping off, but I haven't seen quads get much bigger either... at least in our region. In terms of outdoor skating... quads are almost dead here. It is a rare thing to see people show up for marathons with quads on.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #12
xlracer
Senior Member
 
xlracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,135
Default

The only quad racing here in America is indoors. The numbers are coming back up but as yet there is only one big indoor quad meet every year and that is held on the last day of the US National Championships. There has been a good turn out for the last two years and it may be even bigger this year. They may have to take it to a seperate Venue if it does get any bigger.
Right now they set aside one day for the event but if it gets much bigger, it will have to be a two day event and I dont know if USARS is willing to put out more funding to extend the event another day.There is also a proposal floating around to increase the number on Novice Races from two to three distances. Doing that would add another day and a half to the event. Speed already runs from Saturday through Friday for inlines. If we add three more days.....ouch! That would get pretty expensive for a coach. National is in 5 weeks. I will give you a head count when we are through.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Randy Edwards
Senior Member
 
Randy Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,273
Default

From what i'm told next years OBSL meets will have quad events
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #14
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Quad speed is starting to get a little more popular. Inline speed is starting to drop off. The inliners are complaining that the quad meets are stealing all their skaters.
Lmao. Guess they know how we felt now.
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Nicola Lee
Niki07
 
Nicola Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 21
Wink Where are these quad skaters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
The only quad racing here in America is indoors. The numbers are coming back up but as yet there is only one big indoor quad meet every year and that is held on the last day of the US National Championships. There has been a good turn out for the last two years and it may be even bigger this year. They may have to take it to a seperate Venue if it does get any bigger.
Right now they set aside one day for the event but if it gets much bigger, it will have to be a two day event and I dont know if USARS is willing to put out more funding to extend the event another day.There is also a proposal floating around to increase the number on Novice Races from two to three distances. Doing that would add another day and a half to the event. Speed already runs from Saturday through Friday for inlines. If we add three more days.....ouch! That would get pretty expensive for a coach. National is in 5 weeks. I will give you a head count when we are through.
Hi there, could you tell me where these quad speed skaters are then please ?
Niki07
Nicola Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #16
xlracer
Senior Member
 
xlracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,135
Default

So you want a list of the teams as well? I can do that. I can tell you now that most of them will be from the mid-west.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #17
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough
 
Bill in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Posts: 6,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola Lee View Post
Hi there, could you tell me where these quad speed skaters are then please ?
Niki07
Here you go:
http://assets.usoc.org/assets/docume...on_Results.pdf


From here:
http://usarollersports.org/events/1782
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #18
xlracer
Senior Member
 
xlracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,135
Default

For most of the younger skaters at quad nationals its a day of fun after so much hard work during the week. The real serious skaters are the upper divisions. The last two years the largest group has been Master and Veteran Mens. These are old school quad racers that are still really serious about it.
We will have four or five skaters stick around that last day to race quads but all of the kids will be on skates that are borrowed from yours truely here.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #19
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!
 
cojaco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
For most of the younger skaters at quad nationals its a day of fun after so much hard work during the week. The real serious skaters are the upper divisions. The last two years the largest group has been Master and Veteran Mens. These are old school quad racers that are still really serious about it.
We will have four or five skaters stick around that last day to race quads but all of the kids will be on skates that are borrowed from yours truely here.
What are the age requirements for Master and Veteran Mens?
__________________
We are the QUORG! You will be assimiskated. Skating Inlines is Futile!
Colin Coakes,
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #20
susanmcp
Senior Member
 
susanmcp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojaco61 View Post
What are the age requirements for Master and Veteran Mens?
Master's is 35 + and Veteran is 45 + and Grand Veteran 55 +

The divisions are actually in 9 year increments (ie. 35 - 44) but after Senior you are allowed to challenge down so these are the minimum ages for these divisions.
susanmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.