S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #21
INRI

Did anyone notice Mike Miller in the Open Skate Male 70+? Don't know who he is but he's in some serious shape for any age.

Mike who is at least 70 years old skated the half marathon in 46 min flat! Talk about a stud!
INRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #22
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INRI View Post
Wow Chris that's a blazing fast time!! Congratulations!!Do you log your skates with an app such as Endomondo or Strava, etc? If so perhaps you could post your skate online? I for one would be very interested to review your skate and to learn from it.
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a GPS or a smart phone, so I haven't been able to track my skates. Maybe next season
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #23
INRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have a GPS or a smart phone, so I haven't been able to track my skates. Maybe next season
I appreciate the reply Chris. Thank you, and again Great Job!
INRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #24
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Jim, how did you do? You make it through both parts of the race?

Glad the rain held off. There were a couple of wet spots, though. Ended up being a fun race. I did the best I could to stick with the lead pack in the open division. I lost them on the hill 9 miles in because I was at the back of the pack and couldn't hold on. Managed to finish around 43 minutes, which was just a little slower than I was hoping. Still a great race, though.
Congrats on your 2nd place finnish in your division! Yes, I finnished both parts, no problem. My biggest concern was how to pace myself during the skate so I'd have enough left to run a 5K. After I did the half in Chicago, I asked myself if I could now run a 5K. My answer was no. So I took it a little easy during the skate, aiming for 5 minutes slower but surprisingly I was 21 seconds faster than my Chicago time. But then so were several other skaters I knew who also did the half in Chicago. Apparently the St. Paul course is faster although I couldn't see any real difference.

I was slow in the run though. I know that because there were several who finnished behind me in the skate who passed me during the run, and I passed nobody during the run who was faster than me during the skate. That was to be expected since I only recently got back into running. Next year I hope to be faster in both.

I really loved the whole thing. There is something extra euphoric about doing two of your favorite sports during the same race. Skating with skaters, then running with runners, and doing both with fellow duathaletes. Same with approaching the finnish line twice. First with skates then later with shoes and both times with 7 guys banging on drums for a good mental boost.

You get more of a total body workout with a duathalon too. Work your legs and butt during the skate then give your joints a workout with the run.

I hope the concept of skate/run duathalons catches on. St. Paul has shown that there's interest in it and I think it could work with other races too.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #25
Alyosha

http://www.skinnyski.com/

Lots of nice pictures here. Scroll down a few posts to find a couple photo sets from the race.
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #26
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Jim,

Thanks, that one shocked me. I left early to spend time with family and honestly thought there was no chance of finishing that far at the front of the pack. They use my first name, though, which I am sure confused some people as I go by my middle name, Andrew. I just wanted to get all the points for NROC if possible. No hope there since I am not doing Duluth this year.

Congrats on finishing the Duathlon. I don't know if I have an interest, but to each his own. After finishing, I don't know if I would have been able to run a 5k, I commend you on that.

My helmet cam video is posted on YouTube. Just the race. I am still working on getting my video editor working and will post the overlays once I get them finished. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQ1qiWg47o
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #27
ThePerambulator

Thanks for posting the video! Fun to relive the race. Anyone seen a video from the Pro wave?
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #28
Jim

Another thanks for posting the video. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Alyosha

http://www.goraceday.com/event/overall/24/

For those not on the mailing list, the race results have been updated such that clicking on a name will bring you to a quick video of that person finishing the race. It's hard to see much of the skaters but its a neat idea.
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #30
shesk8

If you luv'd one lap of 13 miles, you really would have luv'd 2 laps!

But the MN STP marathon days are long gone. MN ST P had upwards of 1600 participants when it was a full marathon. In 5 years it dwindled to 1100. Now as a 1/2 marathon it's dwindled from over 800 to meager 373 in another 5 years. Sadly, it's still losing skaters. Compare this drop to to Northshore which used to draw 3000 to 4000+ this past year total participants was 1417... gasp! a drop rate of 100 skaters per year with MNSPT does not seem so bad by comparison to northshore's participant drops.

Personally, really liked the MNSTP event as a marathon, was well organized, had both 1/2 and full options, absolutely fun course, logistics, etc. When the event was cut to 1/2 marathon it was not easy to justify flight costs for a 13 mile race event, so we opted out as did many others, and the decline in numbers show.

I had asked organizers in the past why they cut the marathon, they claimed it was too costly due to the 500 participant loss in 5 years. They were at 1100 skaters that prior year. They also snidely replied suggesting I put up $20 K to sponsor it? Personally, that response and attitude did not win me over, and won't get me to do another event put on by these organizers ever.

"Please sponsor it for about twenty thousand and we will " ...adam

Killing off the marathon event reflects in participant #'s, but interestingly also shows how overall the total event numbers (runners & skaters combined) did not really change significantly for the organizers over 5 years either. So, did they make the right choice to kill the marathon skate?

They sited the main reason to cut the full marathon was due to numbers of the full going from 1600 to 1100 over 5 years. While that was a 500 loss, it still brought 1100 skaters (@ average of $70/head x 1100 = $70,000 total). Anyone curious to see where the your race entry money went? Well, the 1/2 marathon has now gone from 866(2008) to now a mere 373 in 2012, reflecting another 500 skater loss. ($70/head x 373 = $26,110). Won't be terribly surprised if we see the 1/2 marathon skate disappear altogether before long. Certainly, the extra $50,000 more than easily would have covered logistics of the marathon: an extra 1-2 hours of course time road closures, rental cops, & porta-pots, park rental (permits, insurance fees more/less unchanged for arguments sake), money well spent to keep the sport alive in my book. But organizers made decision to kill the full distance based on the anticipated $$ higher money they could get from opening it to runner participants. While $70K income for skater entries seems a staggering amount, organizers make far more on more on the running numbers in the 2000-3000 range - it's about the money, not the sport. The event ultimately yielded to runners, and with safety issues now an apparent factor (logistics of having both events on the same loop course) they opted to cut short the marathon skate as to not to let the event drag out an extra 1-2 hours necessary to clear the course for runners, and that is why the marathon went away.

But, all that said, one has to ask: how many total runners does MSTP draw for the 1/2 run? How does that compare to skater loss of the full marathon? Interesting #'s:
2010: 762runners + 431 skaters: 1193,
2011: 726 runners & 246 skaters: 972,
2012:916 runners + 373 skaters: 1289.
A 3 yr average shows 1150 total, still hoovering around 1100 total participants is not bad. But, if the skate were still a full marathon event would that still be a valid total # for participant skaters over the past 5 years? Hard to say with skate event participation dying off in all directions. At the end of the day the Q remains: was it worth killing a well attended skate marathon to make the event into a 1/2 skate & 1/2 running marathon?

Next time you attend a skate event with "full" skate marathon either stand alone or combined with running and/or cycling categories, be sure to thank your organizers for making it work! I certainly applaud the folks putting on stand alone skate events (Apostle Is, Napa, Houston, a2a, etc).

If you get different numbers/facts let me know. I can include the conversation with organizers of MNSPT if requested. Searching date bases results will provide participant #'s.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #31
ThePerambulator

I have heard several people say now that they don't want to make the trip to MN for just a half marathon, which I think is reasonable.

I've been tossing the idea around of putting together another skating event for the next morning after the MN 1/2 race. I was thinking something similar to the Bear Creek race that is going on in Houston next month. Several shorter races -- maybe a 1mile time trial and a 10 mile road race or something.

If you could come to St. Paul for the MN 1/2 marathon on Saturday, would you stick around to go to a Sunday skating event in the area? Would it be enough for you to come for the weekend if you got to skate several times instead of just once?

I don't want to compete with the MN 1/2 Marathon -- I want to make it grow! I think it is possible for more out of state skaters to make the trip if they think they'll get their money's worth. The race organizers win because more people come, and skaters win because they get to skate more. Any thoughts?
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #32
Jim

I would stick around for another race on Sunday, especially since it wouldn't cost much more to stay in a hotel for two nights rather than just one. I know of one hotel in the area where its actually a few bucks cheaper for two nights.

But its not necessary to have a two race weekend to get me to come. The fact that St. Paul has the only skate/run duathalon in the country that I know of is all the incentive that I need. Another race just makes it an even greater weekend.

That's just me though. I talked to a guy from MN at Northshore this year who said he always skated the the StP race when it was a marathon, but stopped when it became a half. I found it strange that he wasn't willing to drive a couple hours for a race, but after talking to him for a while I got the idea that he was boycotting it. He wanted a whole marathon, not just half of one. I have to wonder how many more there are like him out there who aren't going just because they're mad at the organizers for that reason?

I also talked to a girl from Mnpls at NSIM. I asked her if she did StP this year. She said she never heard of it. I think I convinced her to skate it next year.

My guess is that your Sunday race will help the Saturday race, but I can't say that for certain. It will be interesting to see if the Bear Creek race helps or hurts the Houston race. So far I havn't heard one word from either of them of even a mention of the other's race much less helping them to promote it, so I don't know what's going on in their heads.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. Best of luck if you decide to do it.
Old October 9th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #33
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

ThePerambulator, I will be moving to Rochester, MN, at the beginning of November from Chicago. I would love to see a group of shorter distance 10k races all around the Twin Cities and Rochester areas. I think 10k races are great ways to get rec skaters out to events. Most people will come out for local races. Team Rainbo basically carried the 10k we had in Wooddale, Illinois, this year that was part of the festivities for a crit cycling race. More of these events would be great marketing for larger races. Let me know if you need a hand setting up the races, I would be interested in helping out with a Minnesota Road Skate sprint series.
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #34
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
Compare this drop to to Northshore which used to draw 3000 to 4000+ this past year total participants was 1417... gasp!
here is a listing of the finisher numbers. you can bet the starting numbers were a bit higher.

NSIM'12 participation
elite - - - - - 353
A,B,1-6 - - -1417
combined - - - 17
1/2 - - - - - -376
rollerski - - - - 72
runner 1/2 - -160
- - - - - - - 2395 total 'finishers'

I tend to think that events like this are becoming more and more 'elitest'... available to increasingly fewer individuals with the disposable income to register for, get to, and stay over for these things. Maybe work hard to drive down the overall cost to keep the event alive rather than do a big money grab that eventually kills off the cash cow? Legitimate discounts for lodging, food, gas?
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #35
shesk8

bj, thx for the correction. the way result are listed it's hard to see total number of participants.

re: event costs rising I agree, when entries are $70-80 1/2 marathon or $100 full marathon it's hard to justify, let alone all other associated costs. And, little do we see real hotel discounts for event participants. This past summer we hosted 2 events - we usually get close to 50% hotel rate discounts for those participating - every little bit helps. It's tougher with airfare and car rental, but there are good deals out there, for both, if planning in advance.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #36
bjvircks
Major Trouble

sorry to be such a grinch about costs... but I think I see a rapidly widening gap between groups of folks just getting by and folks with more money than they can spend and it bothers me. I'd like to see these activities available to everyone.

to increase participation...

How about restructuring pre/post race activities to foster interaction between people. Look at the explosion of online social media. the overall event is more than just the race. Perhaps construct crude kiosks for people to post notes for each other. This sounds kind of old fashioned, but how about some 'mixers' or informal working sessions. This won't sit well with the 'serious' skaters... but what about a 'best outfit' award? My wife almost went to a LT time trial wearing a superhero mask and cape.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:51 PM   #37
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

I'm actually doing this one this year (2013) because over the course of the past year I have also become a runner; I'm registered for the duathlon.
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #38
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Who is racing next weekend? I am hoping to do what I couldn't do last year and stick with the lead pack all the way through. I want to see if I can best my time from last year around 43 minutes. Sort of need to make up for a less than stellar performance in Chicago last weekend.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #39
ThePerambulator

I'll be there, also hoping to redeem myself after Chicago.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #40
Alyosha

I'm there - hoping for good weather and a good turnout.