S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #61
VioletBuckle
Most Ill

Doc,
Very cool that you are an ex-motorhead and vinyl geek! I have never worked on cars but would love to race an autocross or touring race..now if I could just get a sponsor for that Porsche 911 or Mitsubishi EVO

I am locked into a serious vinyl collection 400+ with 2 decks and mixer. I can attest that analogue audiophiles can geek out over equiptment just as hard as those of us with serious SEDS..I think I am in stage 1 and 2 currently.

Speaking of SEDS:
"We had twelve bags of skates, seventy-five 7mm ball bearings, five sheets of high powered tack cloth, a salt shaker half full of Rit-Dye, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored Shamans, Twisters, Low-boys, Poisons, Creepers... and also a quart of Speed Cream, a quart of gum stops, a case of Buds, a pint of raw mineral spirits and two dozen laces.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious SEDS collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."
VioletBuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #62
Howell Family
Geriatric Member

i have full blown seds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTB-Roll Line Giotto 150-170mm...PM me
Howell Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #63
passthefire

Default SEDS

I admit I am one looking at spending close to 700 on a new set up. Roll-line plates and Riedell 220 boots with Bone swiss bearings(already have bone super elite wheels) . In 1978 spent 125 on my current skates which I priced out to be around 350 toady..
passthefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #64
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS

Default SEDS The early stages

Doc,
I am in the early stages of SEDS, thanks to the work that we did on my skates last week . I have been going back and forth as to what I should do about my cracked hanger on my Duper Deluxe's.

Option 1: Do I resurrect my original Chicago Gold medalist plates? Add my current 297 boots, Bones 103A wheels and Fafnir bearings?

Option 2:Or do I have the Snyder hanger and one of my cups on another hanger fixed and stick with the setup?

Option 3:Or do I have them fixed and change out the wheels and bearings to the Qube ceramics and the Dubz wheels?

Or option 4: Put my Gold Medalists back on, retire the Snyders and just go with a new Jam skate set up?

At least now I know what I am dealing with, SEDS.

Now I can seek professional help.....Hey Doc when are you available

-Jim
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #65
Rinkrat63
Level IV SEDS

Default SEDS Another version

As an owner/operator I am beginning to develop another type of SEDS. I have 500 pair of rental skates and 140 pairs of blades. I have parts and pieces from our former owners that could date back as much as 40 years.

I am just not sure where to start on the re-org of the skate room and the set up of the maintenance schedule. Doc has seen my skate room and has already done a little foraging in it for parts. My skate room and parts inventory has serious rabbit hole potential.

-Jim
Rinkrat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #66
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Wink You are so easy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkrat63 View Post
Doc,
I am in the early stages of SEDS, thanks to the work that we did on my skates last week . I have been going back and forth as to what I should do about my cracked hanger on my Duper Deluxe's.

Option 1: Do I resurrect my original Chicago Gold medalist plates?

OK They need resurrected.. After that who knows..

Add my current 297 boots, Bones 103A wheels and Fafnir bearings?

We could....

Option 2:Or do I have the Snyder hanger and one of my cups on another hanger fixed and stick with the setup?

That gets pricy.. The pivot cup requires a hanger change as well.. Maybe we get ya new World Dominator... probably be cheaper..

Option 3:Or do I have them fixed and change out the wheels and bearings to the Qube ceramics and the Dubz wheels?

Depends on how they roll now.. You said you tried it... What do you think??

Or option 4: Put my Gold Medalists back on, retire the Snyders and just go with a new Jam skate set up?

Hmm, That could be an option..

At least now I know what I am dealing with, SEDS.

Yeah.... It's hard to avoid with all the sk8 room time you have..

Now I can seek professional help.....Hey Doc when are you available

-Jim
I'm no further away than Mars.. But you knew that..
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:21 PM   #67
KMA

My custom dance harlicks are ready today. I am taking a half a day off work to pick them up.

OOOOOOOO....

I am very excited. My friend and team dance partner was there when the last parts came it, and he texted me at recess then Harlick called. I actually answered the phone at work (I am a teacher and I do not answer unless it is an emergency or Harlick).

Ginger at Harlick knows every skater who skates in Harlicks by name, and how they are connected to and in the skating world. She is one of those old fashioned receptionists who connects everything, and everyone. I love going there and getting all of the latest gossip.

OOOOOOOOO

2:30 cannot come soon enough...

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #68
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
My custom dance harlicks are ready today. I am taking a half a day off work to pick them up.
2:30 cannot come soon enough...

Katy
Congrats.. It must be nice to have such a focused case of the dread disease...
Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #69
scrapdaddy

Default edit

edit

Last edited by scrapdaddy; December 25th, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #70
dchall360

Default out of control lol

first it was recreating the 122 with sure grip classics with bone wheels i had-then changing plate to pro lines -then changing wheels to power plus -then 595 boots with laser-now girl friend started skating so now she has 395 redline 495 redline 595 redline and a 695 all deals i couldnt pass up all with lasers - 4 sets of purple wicked lips 1 yellow 1 reds- a set of atoms slimline dragster- now im looking for a pro line for her 595s...........she said no more skate stuff-but i keep looking at this forum... i cant help it lol
dchall360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:38 AM   #71
KMA

I just noticed that my signature says custom harlicks then bonts. Maybe for christmas it needs to say custom bonts, or a racing boot.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #72
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I have it real bad SEDS and STEDS (Stereo Equipment Deficiency Syndrome).
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM   #73
RiedellSk8r

Holiday what kinda stereo stuff do you have. im into audio too but mobile audio, my current setup is the ipod touch 8gig/Denon C-751 Earphones/Fiio E5 Amplifier/Fiio L3 LOD
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:51 AM   #74
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I have like a lot of vintage Kenwood, Fisher Sony Realistic Pioneer and Bose most of these is from 70s 80s and early 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiedellSk8r View Post
Holiday what kinda stereo stuff do you have. im into audio too but mobile audio, my current setup is the ipod touch 8gig/Denon C-751 Earphones/Fiio E5 Amplifier/Fiio L3 LOD
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #75
scrapdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
I have like a lot of vintage Kenwood, Fisher Sony Realistic Pioneer and Bose most of these is from 70s 80s and early 90s.
ah, my shop setup is old pioneer quadraphonic amp with 4 bose 501's
house is nad 7 channel amp, sony es reciever and polks
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #76
NorCal03

Default What have I gotten into??

Oh, *expletive… Just joined the forum (first post) and after spending the last few hours reading 6 pages of this “Ask DocSk8” stuff I got to this thread (working from old to new postings) Just came back to skating - 30 years off. Bought wife skates, currently trying to buy skates for my nieces and nephews plus I have already hit up Doc on a possible new build for me. Right out of the box, I am ‘Full Blown Stage 3’

I may need to seek professional help.
NorCal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #77
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Oh, *expletive… Just joined the forum (first post) and after spending the last few hours reading 6 pages of this “Ask DocSk8” stuff I got to this thread (working from old to new postings) Just came back to skating - 30 years off. Bought wife skates, currently trying to buy skates for my nieces and nephews plus I have already hit up Doc on a possible new build for me. Right out of the box, I am ‘Full Blown Stage 3’

I may need to seek professional help.
Good luck mate.
Say good bye to your wallet, and budget for about $600 a month from here on in (if you are lucky).
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #78
RoseB325
Masshole

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rose and i'm a SEDSaholic, stage one. My eyes are bleeding from searching the internet. It's been over fifteen years since my last pair of good skates (Riedell 595 kangaroo leather boot) but kids are draining my accounts before I can.

Let us all join keyboards in prayer, LOL

God, grant me the serenity to accept a boot that's not made as well as it used to be,
Courage to break in until my foot is a bloody stump,
And wisdom to know the difference.

May you all be well soon!
RoseB325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #79
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseB325 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Rose and i'm a SEDSaholic, stage one. My eyes are bleeding from searching the internet. It's been over fifteen years since my last pair of good skates (Riedell 595 kangaroo leather boot) but kids are draining my accounts before I can.

God, grant me the serenity to accept a boot that's not made as well as it used to be,

Or, get a Bont...
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #80
BrokenAngel
Dicey Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseB325 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Oh Thats GOLD!!
BrokenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote