S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old March 16th, 2016, 03:44 AM   #1
purlingwood

Default outdoor build ideas

So far, i got riedell 220 in 9 wide and atom pulsr 65wheels. I got sure grip super x size 7 plates laying around.

I am 5'10" 190 lbs. Id like to skate in tennis courts and occasional asphault bike paths. Im getting artistic lessons weekly, but rythmn skate mostly.

My indoor skates are 297's on mistral plates with cheapie pacesetter wheels.

I prefer 8mm axles.

If you could advise a plate and placement, that would be great.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I like to toe in and heel out. So basically my toes can sit slightly pointed outwards while my skates roll straight. The axle sits as far forward as I can get it without flipping the plate backwards or running NTS.

Since I have a bit more inline placement on the plates of my quads I can skate at about 20 to 25mph with my quads and 25 to 30 in my rec inlines on a sprint.

If your going outdoors, the plastic plates do a fine job, they are cheap and help dampen vibrations better than metal plates do. Richard glues skates together, and I have done 1 skate which does a fantastic job outdoors. I didnt glue the plate to the boot to follow Richard, but to help with the firmness and resistance to torque for virtually no cost.

All I did was sand the sole of a size 10 carrera, took the largest probe plate available(size 9 i think) and sanded the top where it will meet the plate and applied a super thin layer of shoe goo to the boot and the plate. I used a c large clamp , a wrench and a piece of wood to put on the trucks so a lot of pressure coukd be used to press out excessive shoe goo. That excess was smeared around the plate and boot merger like caulking for sinks and crap. Let it dry/cure for 2 days then removed the clamp.

Athletic shoes do a really good job for mounting plates. Soccer, football, rugby, virtualky anything that has good lateral supports. They all are very lightweight, and can be found for very cheap compared to skate boots. Also you can usually try them on before you buy them

After they fit super good and are broken in well if you want a stiffer lateral reinforcement, shoe goo and a layer of canvas do a good job too. The reinforcement is pretty much custom if its laid on a shoe thats already fitted to your foot. I did a repair on a kids GT50 at the rink and she talked about how crazy comfortable it is now.
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Fancy-Kerrigan

Plate placement.....
With a size 9 boot and a size 7 plate (7 inches from axle to axle) It seems that there would not be a great deal of space in front of or behind the plate to play with placement.
I skate a men's size 10 paired with a 6.5 inch plate. Hubby mounted it perfectly more toward the back. I have a very easy time getting up on my toes and staying there. As I get older I find that a shorter plate is a lot more fun. I've tossed around the idea of going with a 6.25.....maybe when I win the lottery
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #4
purlingwood

I went with the 7 plates on my 9 boots. I'll see how they work. I like short plates on the rink. I might like not falling due to a pebble or twig more.

If i don't like them, I'll try another.

I did notice how much easier it is getting on my toes wirh the mistral plates on my indoor pair.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlingwood View Post
I went with the 7 plates on my 9 boots. I'll see how they work. I like short plates on the rink. I might like not falling due to a pebble or twig more.

If i don't like them, I'll try another.

I did notice how much easier it is getting on my toes wirh the mistral plates on my indoor pair.
What is it about a long wheelbase plate that will keep you from falling over road debris?

My experience has been that when rolling over stuff in the road I want to be able to have my weight over my back wheels and in some cases lift up a bit on my front axle. A longer wheelbase plate would make that more difficult to do. I skate the same size plate inside and out.....so I know how it will react. I hope it works out for you. I just don't understand the logic behind it.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:25 AM   #6
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
What is it about a long wheelbase plate that will keep you from falling over road debris?

My experience has been that when rolling over stuff in the road I want to be able to have my weight over my back wheels and in some cases lift up a bit on my front axle. A longer wheelbase plate would make that more difficult to do. I skate the same size plate inside and out.....so I know how it will react. I hope it works out for you. I just don't understand the logic behind it.
Yes, taking weight off the front axle with body lean to rear helps, but as long as the mounting doesn't locate the rear axle way too far back to the rear end of the plate, then that should not be a hinderance for pushing weight down on heel, behind the rear axle in order to lift weight off off the front of the plate.

Think of a long wheelbase plate as a pry bar, and the front wheels as your hands on the end, trying to pry up your weight on the front end of the plate to go upward and over road debris or projecting surface imperfections.

The greater the wheelbase length, the greater the leverage the front axle/wheels to lift the front end upward and over stuff, with the back axle/wheels being the fulcrum against which front pries the weight of the skater upward.

Yes, if you lean back more on the rear axle, then the front axle/wheels don't need to be pried upward as hard since the rear lean lowers the weight on them.
However, the longer wheelbase also helps, especially if the length takes the front axle position further forward to help resist the braking effect and forward pitching that happenswhen front wheels stick on something.

The better a skater is outdoors with shifting their weight rearward on demand, the less they need to rely on the longer wheelbase and forward front axle as options to resist face plants.

-Armadillo