S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #441
Ancient1

Welcome back Jayson
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #442
rwsz

Jayson welcome back, i think you can help a lot here so dont be a stranger. also post on your skaters and how you handle them and bring them along. could be helpfull to many here. see ya on facebook lol
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #443
kzarah

Default Hey Amy

I used to come to this site a lot looking for people. I at one time posted on fours. I found the nationals results for novice fours. Jackie Fosgate, Mike Dorso, my self and Carol Simons of course were listed. I wanted to post it on Jackie's wall on facebook. Then I saw this post. I have already said hey on facebook.
Weren't we nice kids. We (all of us) really where really were good kids and skaters.
I didn't have good parents they were horrible people. I failed two grades in grade school. My parents said nothing. Apparently they didn't care. I was never offered help. None of use were ever encourage and basically they didn't like us. I remember before my first competition skating for John Harris (the best in the business) that I was going to compete for the first time with John as my teacher. I was so happy he was my teacher. Anyway I was told I couldn't go. My parents hated the roller skating. They said I would never win and it was a waste of time. It brought shame and embarrassment to them and all of my trophy's on the TV to rub it in. I went anyway. When I got home I got beat with the belt (not unusual) and was told I could never skate again or even mention it. That was the last time I was beaten and from then on I never told them I was going to a meet or practice I just did it. No Kidding, I would at 14 and 15 years old just go to a competition for three days and never tell them I would just come home three days later with trophies. It wasn't that I was gone three days and not knowing where I was that bothered them. They didn't care about that. But I was skating and that brought humiliation to white the white trash that they were.
See all of those pitchers really do take me back. The reason I mention the horrible parents that taught us nothing and neglected us (9 children) is in looking back, and I am sincere, I learned things like manners, and how not to behave and was cared for and driven to practice and meets. To me I realize that it was your mom, the Longenbergers, Simons, Smiths, and of course Claire Kerner that raised me. When we would go to competitions I would go to Sunday Mass in what ever city were were competing. Eileen Simon would make sure of that and so would Clair Kerner. You lived close to me so I usually went to practice with. I can still see your mom with one hand on the wheel with her body twisted to shake and finger and say, "If you don't knock it off. . . " Remember me to your mom and tell her I love her and thank her.
Remember when you were pretty small especially compared to you. We used to play around at pairs. Man I could do anything with you. You were so little i could through you around like a foot ball. You were fearless. You would do anything. Cartwheels, Extensions, Air Planes. I really thought all those years that one day we would skate together. I wonder if John Thought the same. I have say that when you were about 3 feet shorter than me and we would whip around the rink and they you were in the over my head. We would have been so good. You would do anything I asked. One time we even did a pretty fast throw axle, which is no big deal except you were so little.
All of the kids we skated with were fun. There really wasn't anyone I didn't like. Bullwinkle what a sweet little girl she was. She did not get all of the attention but I bet she did know what a precious sweetheart she was. Jackie was Gigit to me. She should have had a surf board. I figured Lorri must have became nuclear physist or something like that requires a lot a brains. On facebook I saw your family photo could not help note what a pretty young lady Lori became. I hope all of you are well.
We laughed a lot then. Getting old can really suck. I want to be a kid again and go skating. I will be 58 this summer.
I wish you had some videos or pictures from back then. I remember the first year skating fours with Jackie and her partner was Don Earls. Someone took a video (8 mm) I would love to see things like that. I never got to see the double axle unfortunately. I remember way back then, shortly after I quick skating someone telling me that you placed 2nd at nationals and landed your double Axel. I think it might have been Janet Kerner. She said your double axles were so effortless that you might think it was only a single Axel. I would love to see a video of you winning 2nd place.
Anyway I am going to hunt some more for that program that list us. I want add that to me there was nothing more important than skating and I thought of it night and day and then dream of it. Skating saved me from a life that I could only dread. You and all the people we skated with have no idea what a healthy, positive, and happy world for me.
Only the Best Memories.
kzarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #444
Ancalime

Post Intro

Hello everyone,

I have been hanging around this forum for a while as a guest, but a few weeks ago I registered. I have been doing artistic roller skating and figure skating for 3 years now as an adult hobby skater;-) I joined 3 clubs in Essen and Duisburg Germany in order to have enough training! Club fees are not that expensive so I manage that quite well;-))) and I need skating as an alternative to my job, I am a freelance translator for English and German and sit at a laptop all day. The postive side is, I can decide for myself when to go to the roller or ice skating rink as both are very near to my flat;-)....

I skated as a girl...we did aggressive skating already before that was invented;-) on our village streets and I always wanted to do more, join a skating club, but this wasnt possible living on the countryside on a vinery with very busy parents who couldnt roller or ice skate at all. None of my family did that ever with exception of an aunt but she stopped when she was 18. when i visited her in Toronto and told her that I had selected the same hobby now she was quite happy;-)))

So I tried out ice skating as well in school when we had skating days there, loved it instantly (no props for me ever, hate them to see on the rinks, they are so bad for people learning to skate) and had to wait until eventually I studied at university to join an adult skate group at last. Adult skating was then known a bit 10 years ago in germany, before that nobody knew anything about it that it was possible to start this sport as an adult and be good at it and learn all of the basic skills. During my university and working times I skated off and on, but after my mother's death I decided to change town, my job and also to join a skating club in the town i selected! First I lived in Toronto for 4 months and also skated there in a Meetup Group...that was cool and got me going on skates, but then i decided to move back to germany and i chose Essen in NRW to live. I have done a good choice with that town as they have clubs for both roller and ice skating, I met a lot of people there and skating is great for networking which is absolutely essential for freelancers! i even hooked up another translator to skating and we both joined a club in the neighbor town of Duisburg to do even more skating! LOL

I have taken part in some show skates already and I now am interested in doing figures and all basic skills, and also dance steps...

In ice skating I will go to a workshop in berlin to work and learn with Le Patin Libre in the summer, they are geniuses and I am looking very much forward to it;-)

my skates I use are Risport boots (Size 275 mm, B), Mistral plates, and Fox Light wheels, on the ice I am with Jackson Freestyle, Aspire Ultima blades...

I am selling my inline plates again as it didnt work out for me at all...well you live and learn, they are size 17, Snow Whites.

I do a bit of freestyle inline with Ultrablades from Canada ...nothing special but they fit me comfortably for fun street skating...I adapted the wheels a bit to do freestyle slalom;-)

thats all for the moment..i will put an ad for my inlines later in case I dont sell at this weekend when my roller skating club holds a competition where I volunteer and help out at the rink!
Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #445
rwsz

welcome to the forum, hope you can learn something here and also contribute. enjoy skating both roller and ice if you like. better then sitting at the comp at nite as you do it most of the day.
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:43 PM   #446
batonstar

I am an adult skater, having taken it up because I now have the time since giving up competing and coaching baton twirling .

I skate in the UK for Retroskate in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk (the biggest club in the UK so I'm told). The club is fairly new, been set up for about 4 years. I also skate at Waveney Roller Skating Club in Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I have now been skating for about 2 years and loving every minute. I take part in competitions for figures, dance and free. I have a competition in 5 weeks time when I will be doing my 1st ever duo and trio dance competition as well as solo.

My current skates are Edea Preludio, with Roll line Variant plate and CS Star Wheels for free and Roll Line Grease wheels for dance, but I am looking to buy a new set up of Edea Overture boots, Mistral plate and would like a set of 4 blue/4 grey Giotto wheels for freestyle.

when I am not skating, I work in a children's nursery for 0-5 year olds, I play the snare drum in a marching band (which I only took up August 2012), I play the alto saxophone at home, like shopping, playing on internet and the Nintendo 3DS console
batonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM   #447
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalime View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been hanging around this forum for a while as a guest, but a few weeks ago I registered. I have been doing artistic roller skating and figure skating for 3 years now as an adult hobby skater;-) I joined 3 clubs in Essen and Duisburg Germany in order to have enough training!
Welcome, another member from Germany

I'm second head of an artistic skating club in Berlin.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #448
Ancalime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
welcome to the forum, hope you can learn something here and also contribute. enjoy skating both roller and ice if you like. better then sitting at the comp at nite as you do it most of the day.
Well, I have to sit and type something into the forum in the evening...;-9 at some point. But practice was wonderful today....first warm sumemr night at an outdoor rink in a park is quite something. i worked on my cross rolls forwards and backwards. the latter just starting.

"When hell freezes over, should I bring my skates?" (Toller Cranston)
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #449
Ancalime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Welcome, another member from Germany

I'm second head of an artistic skating club in Berlin.
great....I will be in Berlin at the ice skating workshop in July perhaps we can meet at the Erika-Hess stadium?;-)))) I still dont know whether to bring my quads as well;-))) Half of my suitcase will be full with skates.....

Old June 9th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #450
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalime View Post
great....I will be in Berlin at the ice skating workshop in July perhaps we can meet at the Erika-Hess stadium?;-)))) I still dont know whether to bring my quads as well;-))) Half of my suitcase will be full with skates.....
Berlin is a great city for roller skating. Depending, when you are in Berlin, you could have a chance to skate in our wooden floor training hall.

You can contact me, if you want: dr.rollerskate@gmail.com
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #451
rwsz

Quote:
Berlin is a great city for roller skating. Depending, when you are in Berlin, you could have a chance to skate in our wooden floor training hall.

wow thats a huge floor,,,,,,it is laid different then they lay them here in the usa.
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #452
Ancalime

Quote:

Wow this looks very inviting. Ok, thanks for the email, I'll keep it in mind and bring my roller skates as well;-))) Will that training hall be open in the summer holiday, though? wooden floors are great to skate...until now I only had the luck once and just inofficially...our usual gym where we train once a week has got a PVC floor and very often people forget to change their shoes during their classes during the day and the floor isnt very clean;-( our outdoor rink has an epoxyd layer which is quite nice to skate on but I need other wheels than Fox Light for it as they stick a little too much for doing 3s or pirouettes...

Old October 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM   #453
Sir Aaron

Hello all. I've joined the ranks of artistic skaters. I'm taking lessons now from an artistic skater who competes regularly. I'm a male, 38, living in Houston, TX. I hadn't skated since I was a teenager (maybe once or twice as an adult). My oldest daughter, soon to be 7, had been exposed to skating at her preschool (field trip). She also got a pair of outdoor roller skates and wanted to learn. I decided the best thing to do was to go to a local skating rink.

That progressed to lessons every week to buying the family their own skates to taking private lessons. And now I'm taking some superskater II test and will enter the advanced/competition class soon. The girls at the rink (all girls) all seem genuinely amused by me taking lessons and actually seem to miss me when I'm not at their lesson (because I was late and had to show up for the basic or intermediate classes).

Both of my daughters (6 and 3) have learned to skate and really enjoy it. It's been fun to skate with my kids, encourage them, and do a physical activity as a family.

I was an athlete for most of my life and until I was a father of two girls, wouldn't be caught dead doing artistic type roller skating. Now I find I enjoy it (it challenges me athletically in ways other sports don't). Plus, I've lost enjoyment in sports such as basketball and softball because of the total lack of fun displayed in many of these leagues now. Not to mention, if I play basketball that is time away from my kids whereas if I'm practicing skating at least we are at the same place at the same time (even if we aren't in the same class).

I don't know how long I'll keep it up. Honestly, I do feel a little awkward being the only male out there but on the other hand I think the other parents are missing out. I don't know what I'll do when my kids decide to go all in on another sport and give up skating! I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #454
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
Hello all. I've joined the ranks of artistic skaters. I'm taking lessons now from an artistic skater who competes regularly. I'm a male, 38, living in Houston, TX. I hadn't skated since I was a teenager (maybe once or twice as an adult). My oldest daughter, soon to be 7, had been exposed to skating at her preschool (field trip). She also got a pair of outdoor roller skates and wanted to learn. I decided the best thing to do was to go to a local skating rink.

That progressed to lessons every week to buying the family their own skates to taking private lessons. And now I'm taking some superskater II test and will enter the advanced/competition class soon. The girls at the rink (all girls) all seem genuinely amused by me taking lessons and actually seem to miss me when I'm not at their lesson (because I was late and had to show up for the basic or intermediate classes).

Both of my daughters (6 and 3) have learned to skate and really enjoy it. It's been fun to skate with my kids, encourage them, and do a physical activity as a family.

I was an athlete for most of my life and until I was a father of two girls, wouldn't be caught dead doing artistic type roller skating. Now I find I enjoy it (it challenges me athletically in ways other sports don't). Plus, I've lost enjoyment in sports such as basketball and softball because of the total lack of fun displayed in many of these leagues now. Not to mention, if I play basketball that is time away from my kids whereas if I'm practicing skating at least we are at the same place at the same time (even if we aren't in the same class).

I don't know how long I'll keep it up. Honestly, I do feel a little awkward being the only male out there but on the other hand I think the other parents are missing out. I don't know what I'll do when my kids decide to go all in on another sport and give up skating! I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Man, does this sound familiar, I skated for a a couple of years, had an injury, and when I was better, the kids...(at the time girl age 3) was curios about dance. long story short, couldnt afford my sports, and their sports, so went with their sports...... glad i did, kept her out of trouble for the next 20 years, and I ended up in her sport....lol (tap dance) for 8 years..........son took karate for 15 years.......

now that both kids are out of their sports, i had enough money to go back skating...........

Take care of the kids, they are you have.............you wont regret it, skating can wait.......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM   #455
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post

Aaron, I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't skate. I do know it would seem like a life sentence in no fun land.

When my wife suddenly passed away in 1989, our son was attending a weekly home schooled, children's skate session. Every Friday she took him to our local rink. For $2.00, they were treated to an 1/2 hour lesson, taught by a *professional, and 1 1/2 hours of free skating time.

Since I did not want my son to miss out on this important time of the week, I took over getting him to the rink. When I went there for the first time, my immediate thoughts were, "I can't just sit around for 2 hours, I like to skate, why don't I join in the fun." We learned; shoot the duck, backward skating, mohawk turns, three turns, spins, T stops, and much more. It was an incredible blessing to have been at the right place at the right time. When bad things happen, good things in life help take away the sting. Learning to skate, being at the rink, the rhythm of the beat, the good Lord put me skater's heaven.

Twenty four years later, and I am going stronger than ever. The skills you will develop, the friends your will make, the time spent with family at the rink are irreplaceable. Keep it up. Maybe you'll still be shooting the duck at my age, 70.

*Doug Ely is the professional instructor at the famous Moonlight Rollerway, Glendale, California.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #456
Sir Aaron

My thing is that I love athletics. I used to play basketball and softball. But I can't do that with my daughters. I'd have to join my own leagues and that would take time. At least with skating, even if we aren't technically in the same class, we are at the same place at the same time. And when the lessons are over we can skate together in session skating.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #457
CraigO

Hi All... Craig here from Melbourne Australia.
I introduced myself on another forum topic around 2008, after reconnecting on Facebook with skating friends from my early teenage years, concluding the post with something along the lines of "makes me want to lace on a pair of skates and take it up again".
Fast forward to 2012... Started going along to the Wednesday adult dance class at Caribbean Rollerama and met the class coach, Elfie. She encouraged me to compete again after a 30 year absence from the sport. Also at the class were (some) members of the Pacemakers precision team and they invited me to come along to a few of their training sessions.
Took up competing again this year and had an absolute hoot! Not sure what I wanted to focus on (still don't) so tried it all - figures, free, solo dance, CSD and precision.
It's been a great season (Australian Nationals finished on Friday) and am looking forward to what next year has in store.
(Most of) the faces have changed and the sport isn't quite as big as it used to be but the friendliness of the people and the excitement of training and competition (jitters and all) are still there.

Great to be back in the Sport!

Last edited by CraigO; October 7th, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Wrong year! No biggie tho!
CraigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #458
SixSkate

Default Hello From Toronto. 1st post (and it's a double post, sorry admins)

Hey All,

My name is Lino Micheli. Live in Toronto, Canada. Been trolling the site for info and finally have an account so here i go. Have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks for the great information.

Recently took up skating. I think the last time I had skates on I was maybe 12 years old. I'm 51 now so quite a hiatus. Started with a pair of Chaya Park Skates. Spent a bit of time on those on an outdoor rink getting comfortable on them and managed a few basic skills. Crossovers, backward skating, mohawk turns, and backward crossovers. Started lessons about three months ago at Scooters Roller Palace working mostly on waltz exercises. Kinda tough, not gonna lie. Circles over and over....
Decided it was time for a more appropriate style of skate for what I was doing at the rink so found these. Before and after pics included. Not sure if Flickr is the way to go for photos so hoping someone can try the link or offer an opinion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161167...7661291711197/

Older Riedells. Not sure about the model. Would love some insight if anyone has an idea. Sure grip classic plates, weber wheels (now team roller bones). All new king pins and cushions and am just getting used to them.
SixSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #459
Ancient1

Welcome Lino

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSkate View Post
Hey All,

My name is Lino Micheli. Live in Toronto, Canada. Been trolling the site for info and finally have an account so here i go. Have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks for the great information.

Recently took up skating. I think the last time I had skates on I was maybe 12 years old. I'm 51 now so quite a hiatus. Started with a pair of Chaya Park Skates. Spent a bit of time on those on an outdoor rink getting comfortable on them and managed a few basic skills. Crossovers, backward skating, mohawk turns, and backward crossovers. Started lessons about three months ago at Scooters Roller Palace working mostly on waltz exercises. Kinda tough, not gonna lie. Circles over and over....
Decided it was time for a more appropriate style of skate for what I was doing at the rink so found these. Before and after pics included. Not sure if Flickr is the way to go for photos so hoping someone can try the link or offer an opinion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161167...7661291711197/

Older Riedells. Not sure about the model. Would love some insight if anyone has an idea. Sure grip classic plates, weber wheels (now team roller bones). All new king pins and cushions and am just getting used to them.
Old December 6th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #460
larryoracing

Smile Welcome,Welcome, Welcome and more welcome...lol!

The Sure Grip Classic is an excellent plate for the Artistic Student. I highly recommend it. Since the plate had Webers wheels on it, the person using the skates was probably a figure skater/went around the black circles painted on the skating surface and did turns.

I don't particular like the Team Roller Bones wheels, but they are OK. Probably would like the Bones wheels a little better.

I wasn't able to view the photos, but the boots are probably 220's or 297's which are fine. Great Boot.

My first skates were the Sure Grip Classic skates. You can still buy them. If you start to jump with these skates they might be a little weak and you will start bending things and have to go to a stronger plate, like a Snyder, Atlas or modern day Roll Line.

Thanks for posting.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote