S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #361
oldskate

Default could we put this in the new thread

A new thread was started for discussion of skates. Can we keep this one to introductions of skaters
oldskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #362
bunnymonkeybff

Default Hi

Hi, Im Maggie. I used to figure skate some but gas prices got to expensive and my parents couldnt afford to take me anymore. This year at my schools suprise skating party at a roller rink i realized i could do some of my figure skating moves on the roller skates. I do not compete and dont plan to because i ride and that costs a lot. I am getting a pair of new riedell skates and am super excited. I will be able to skate at my local rink when i am home but while i am at my school i can use the gym.
bunnymonkeybff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:37 AM   #363
bearingsandblades

My name is Dennis Sample. I competed from the late 70's through the late 80's. I started my career in Marion, IN at the Idyl Wyld roller rink with Sheryl Truman as my coach. I later began taking lessons from Jim Harmer at W-Wheelers skating club in Alexandria, IN. Here I became great friends with Bryan Denney. I won 5 national titles with this club in freestyle and pairs . I won pairs with, first Dolly Nowak in Elementary and then again with Shannon Tuggle in Freshmen pairs. Some of the coaches I remember from my day included: Tim Able, Ron Jealsy, Jack and Ingrid McManus, and Bill Ferraro. Some the competitors from my day included: Greg Smith, David Cox, Tommy Boyd, and Hans Scholl. When I wasn't practicing I was watching videos of Tim McGuire, Rick Monturo, Rick Elsworth, and John Arishita and Tammy Jarue. In 1989 I switched to ice skating to skate pairs. My coach was a world pairs roller skating champion named Jack Courtney. My pairs partner during my short ice skating career was Cathy McKee.

I have been totally disconnected with skating for the last 15-20years but am beginning to really enjoy inline marathon skating. This is how I found this forum. I still have some contact with Bryan Denney and Steve Evans but that is about it from all the friends I had way back in the day.

I have been married for 17 years with 2 great boys who can't believe that their dad used to wear those outfits. (lol)

I hope some of these names jog some memories. If they do... let me know!
bearingsandblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM   #364
Ancient1

Hi Maggie,
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the new skates and have a lot of fun.
Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnymonkeybff View Post
Hi, Im Maggie. I used to figure skate some but gas prices got to expensive and my parents couldnt afford to take me anymore. This year at my schools suprise skating party at a roller rink i realized i could do some of my figure skating moves on the roller skates. I do not compete and dont plan to because i ride and that costs a lot. I am getting a pair of new riedell skates and am super excited. I will be able to skate at my local rink when i am home but while i am at my school i can use the gym.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM   #365
Ancient1

Hi Dennis,
Welcome! It looks like you started about the time that I stopped. Have fun and best of luck.

Jim (The Ancient One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearingsandblades View Post
My name is Dennis Sample. I competed from the late 70's through the late 80's. I started my career in Marion, IN at the Idyl Wyld roller rink with Sheryl Truman as my coach. I later began taking lessons from Jim Harmer at W-Wheelers skating club in Alexandria, IN. Here I became great friends with Bryan Denney. I won 5 national titles with this club in freestyle and pairs . I won pairs with, first Dolly Nowak in Elementary and then again with Shannon Tuggle in Freshmen pairs. Some of the coaches I remember from my day included: Tim Able, Ron Jealsy, Jack and Ingrid McManus, and Bill Ferraro. Some the competitors from my day included: Greg Smith, David Cox, Tommy Boyd, and Hans Scholl. When I wasn't practicing I was watching videos of Tim McGuire, Rick Monturo, Rick Elsworth, and John Arishita and Tammy Jarue. In 1989 I switched to ice skating to skate pairs. My coach was a world pairs roller skating champion named Jack Courtney. My pairs partner during my short ice skating career was Cathy McKee.

I have been totally disconnected with skating for the last 15-20years but am beginning to really enjoy inline marathon skating. This is how I found this forum. I still have some contact with Bryan Denney and Steve Evans but that is about it from all the friends I had way back in the day.

I have been married for 17 years with 2 great boys who can't believe that their dad used to wear those outfits. (lol)

Old December 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM   #366
rwsz

Quote:

Dennis welcome to the forum. i have heard your name in the past but i wasnt connected with skating when you were. i am a parent of a now retired mens single skater. I know Greg Smith well, he is a bones rep now. i also know Tim Able as he once gave my son a lesson in like 1991 or so when he started and he was there for a wc mens single skater Eric Harne. many of the names you mention i seen skate Tammi for one and i know Jack McManus as a judge. Ron was a great coach too. enjoy the forum and good luck in your new skating endeavors.
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #367
Tkeplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Hi Dennis,
Welcome! It looks like you started about the time that I stopped. Have fun and best of luck.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Hi Jim.....

I knew Bryan Denny and skated for Jim Harmer 1977-79. Skated nationals in 79 just as I entered the military. I recently got back in touch with Jim. He is teaching in the Cleveland Ohio area and still skating. He is one of a kind.

Tom Keplar
Tkeplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #368
Tkeplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
You could be my new hero, "46 and looking for a double axel"..

I probaby had the worst single axel ever. I just couldn't hack the take off.. Doubles everywhere else, in cluding a double Bokle.. But I never got the left outter forward take off ??? Brain lock I think??

Now at 68 I look for other peoples double axel's :-D

.....some people get the double axel some do not. i had a hell of a time and just couldn't get it. should have stuck with the boeckl

Tom Keplar
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #369
bearingsandblades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeplar View Post
Hi Jim.....

I knew Bryan Denny and skated for Jim Harmer 1977-79. Skated nationals in 79 just as I entered the military. I recently got back in touch with Jim. He is teaching in the Cleveland Ohio area and still skating. He is one of a kind.

Tom Keplar
You hit the nail on the head when you said Jim is one of a kind!! lol. I spoke with him couple of years ago when a skater friend got married. I think he said then that he was in Cleveland. Bryan is now in Florida and has two daughters. One of his daughters is an amazing pairs skater. Got second last year at nationals (saw it on TV). Hands down should have won but you know how that goes. The other daughter I hear is really good also but quite a bit younger. Thanks for responding to my post!!
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #370
tilly

Talking

Hi, everyone. I'm Mary Ann Gazzola, owner/operator of the Skate Factory in Ghent NY. Started skating in the street in Brooklyn NY as a kid, later at Hillside Roller Rink. Session skater, and remember being amazed at the end of each session that a bunch of kids would come out, dressed alike, & all do the same steps to music. I had no idea there were lessons or dances! They were doing the dance specials. Time passed, & I decided to get back in shape after my 2nd kid was born, so started skating, then taking lessons. Gotta tell you, starting training & competing as an adult, I always felt like a fish out of water. But I liked the training, the zen-like state of concentrating -- and that 2nd kid, Joe, who was waiting while I took lessons turned out to be some terrific skater himself. Now I don't skate too often, but like to get my skates back on every now & then & surprise the kids who only see me working. And I teach group lessons every winter. Turns out I love the business end of skating. (And I'm reading your rink turn ons/offs & checking our rink against your comments)
As a good mom, I'm posting another thread "Vote for Joe" in the Main Skating Forum. Please go there.
tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #371
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilly View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm Mary Ann Gazzola, owner/operator of the Skate Factory in Ghent NY. Started skating in the street in Brooklyn NY as a kid, later at Hillside Roller Rink. Session skater, and remember being amazed at the end of each session that a bunch of kids would come out, dressed alike, & all do the same steps to music. I had no idea there were lessons or dances! They were doing the dance specials. Time passed, & I decided to get back in shape after my 2nd kid was born, so started skating, then taking lessons. Gotta tell you, starting training & competing as an adult, I always felt like a fish out of water. But I liked the training, the zen-like state of concentrating -- and that 2nd kid, Joe, who was waiting while I took lessons turned out to be some terrific skater himself. Now I don't skate too often, but like to get my skates back on every now & then & surprise the kids who only see me working. And I teach group lessons every winter. Turns out I love the business end of skating. (And I'm reading your rink turn ons/offs & checking our rink against your comments)
As a good mom, I'm posting another thread "Vote for Joe" in the Main Skating Forum. Please go there.
Mary Ann welcome to the forum. enjoy and i am sure you contribute quite a bit too.

Ciao Rick
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM   #372
Tkeplar

Default Skating Friends of Jim and Mary Harmer

Hi Dennis and Everyone,

I have started a new group on facebook....

"Skating Friends of Jim and Mary Harmer"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=233511156901

Jim won and placed at nationals many times in the 1950's and early 1960's including senior mens singles.

He has taught some 100 national champions, approximately 300 placements and thousands more.

Plus teaching a number of skaters who have been on the world team.

I recently had a nice long chat on the phone with him and he told me about Bryan's Daughter and we talked over old times past.

If you know Jim & Mary why not sign up and say hello?

Kind Regards

Thomas Keplar

email: thomas.keplar@optusnet.com.au

Placed 6th, US Nationals, Intermediate Mens Singles, 1979 Fort Worth, Texas skating for Jim Harmer.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #373
bearingsandblades

Default Tell him HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeplar View Post
Hi Dennis and Everyone,

I have started a new group on facebook....

"Skating Friends of Jim and Mary Harmer"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=233511156901

Jim won and placed at nationals many times in the 1950's and early 1960's including senior mens singles.

He has taught some 100 national champions, approximately 300 placements and thousands more.

Plus teaching a number of skaters who have been on the world team.

I recently had a nice long chat on the phone with him and he told me about Bryan's Daughter and we talked over old times past.

If you know Jim & Mary why not sign up and say hello?

Kind Regards

Thomas Keplar

email: thomas.keplar@optusnet.com.au

Placed 6th, US Nationals, Intermediate Mens Singles, 1979 Fort Worth, Texas skating for Jim Harmer.
Hi Tom Keplar

I don't have a Facebook acct. so could you tell Jim I said Hi!! I spoke to Bryan on New Years through text msgs. He said his dtr would be competing on Jan 16th and could use a lot of prayers. I told him I would spread the word. See if you could get Jim on this forum. I would like to make contact with him via phone sometime.

While skating for Jim, out of Alexandria, IN, 1st elementary pairs, 1st elementary freestyle, 1st freshmen freestyle, 1st freshmen pairs, 3rd freshmen figures, and 3rd Junior pairs. This was from about 1980-1986... I think. Have some great stories involving Jim. He had a way of getting your 100%.

Thanks Tom... By the way, where are you from?
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #374
AlwaysOnArtSkates
Roller Wannabe

Default Total newbie roller skater...

Hi all! Finally, I am here on the forum!! Not s ure which forum to post under, but I do love art skating, so I'll post here...

Now, my introduction... if you're on Facebook, some of you may have friended me already! Anyways, I'm Craig from the MD/DC area and I am a new disabled roller skater. I aim to learn to roller skate as part of physical therapy and as a goal for myself. Ever since seeing roller skating on Sesame Street as a kid, I have wanted to roller skate since forever!

I am joining this forum to meet new skaters and to glean as much info as I can... I have so many questions about balancing/rolling and more...

I got myself an awesome pair of art skates (SP Teris) and I want to meet more skaters in the DC area, particularly skaters who prefer to use artistic skates! I am looking into taking group classes at the rink and I also want to have a skate buddy to help me skate/encourage/teach me and we can have fun and friendship. I'm always wanting to practice, whether it is at home on carpet or at the rink on the practice area...

The art skating community has been so nice and supportive to me and I can't wait to make new friends! So, if you're a local skater nearby MD/DC/VA or an artistic skater or use artistic skates, or would like to discuss meeting and helping me out to roller skate... drop me an email! I would love to chat and get rolling on my practicing... I have 4 small goals for now...

1. Learn to balance/roll on roller skates (with and without help)
2. Eventually, I want to be able to roll around the rink in for public sessions
3. Attend a Halloween costume roller skating party!
4. Be able to skate well enough so I can throw a roller skating party on my 35th birthday!! (thats 2 years from now)

Now, I need to find those other threads... so many questions... but my first question is what's the best balance exercise I can do ON skates other than having my roller skates laced up and getting used to them?

So, like I said... hi guys!!
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #375
AlwaysOnArtSkates
Roller Wannabe

Default Hello?

No replies? For sure, being a disabled skater, I thought I'd get SOME replies... I tell ya... MD/VA is a dead zone... the adult/family skating community here is pretty small... AWESOME but still small...

C'mon, say hi peoples!! I need all the advice I can get!
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #376
Nostalgic

The first balance exercise is being able to stand up without falling and breaking your tailbone. Keep your center of gravity, the point midway between your hip bones, over the center of your skates. If you are standing on two feet it is the point midway between your skates. If you are on one foot your center of gravity should be directly over the arch of your foot. After that the next easiest is probably the scissors. Push your feet outward and then pull them back inward. You roll your feet outward slightly as you push outward and roll your feet back inward as you pull your feet together. This will start you moving without your needing to lift your feet. Skating is a gliding motion so you have to get the walking sensation out of your head.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #377
Ancient1

Craig,
I will start a proper post to continue this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnArtSkates View Post
No replies? For sure, being a disabled skater, I thought I'd get SOME replies... I tell ya... MD/VA is a dead zone... the adult/family skating community here is pretty small... AWESOME but still small...

C'mon, say hi peoples!! I need all the advice I can get!
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #378
Ancient1

Default Lets Help Craig Learn to Skate

Hi Everyone,
A new skater has come to us asking for help. Here is the new thread to help Craig.

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24871
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #379
Tkeplar

Default Hello Dennis Sample

Quote:
Hi Tom Keplar

I don't have a Facebook acct. so could you tell Jim I said Hi!! I spoke to Bryan on New Years through text msgs. He said his dtr would be competing on Jan 16th and could use a lot of prayers. I told him I would spread the word. See if you could get Jim on this forum. I would like to make contact with him via phone sometime.

While skating for Jim, out of Alexandria, IN, 1st elementary pairs, 1st elementary freestyle, 1st freshmen freestyle, 1st freshmen pairs, 3rd freshmen figures, and 3rd Junior pairs. This was from about 1980-1986... I think. Have some great stories involving Jim. He had a way of getting your 100%.

Thanks Tom... By the way, where are you from?
Dennis,

I have not checked in here for ages, so I missed this, sorry.

I will mention to Jim about this forum......

Seems everyone who ever skated any time for Jim has "stories"

As for where I am from.....

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio and skated for Jim primarily out of Ohio. Joined the US Air Force in 1979 and have been travelling ever since. I now reside with my partner in Melbourne, Australia.

Best Regards

Tom Keplar

thomas.keplar@optusnet.com.au
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:00 PM   #380
rc787n

Default Hello

New to the forum...currently a Soldier in the US Army and have been in since 1996.

Skated Pairs/ Singles Artistic skating in Waterbury , Ct till 1996....joined the Army...Missed it for so many years, but Both the Army and College took so much of my time up...After 3 tours of Iraq I decided to strap on some skates and have some fun.

Skate on the Post roller rink...not bad...Some Soldiers stare and state, "I had no Idea you could do that on roller skates".

Life is good, life is grand...
rc787n is offline   Reply With Quote