S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM   #381
Ancient1

Welcome.

When I was in the USAF, I heard the same thing. Cool, ain't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc787n View Post

Skate on the Post roller rink...not bad...Some Soldiers stare and state, "I had no Idea you could do that on roller skates".

Life is good, life is grand...
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #382
rc787n

yes, certainly is, theirs a female Airman also that comes to the rink once in a while to practice figures...Im on FT Lewis, WA..nothing like seeing 2 military personnel in just uniform bottoms , tan shirt with uniform blouses off with skates on...but makes my lunch time a fun one...the post has been pretty cool with using the rink whenever....since theres a coffee shop/restaurant attached to the rink, it opens up at 0500, so it makes for a crowd that watches.

BTW everyone I'm Ray
rc787n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM   #383
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Howdy Ray, Welcome to the forum.I hope you can teach us a few things while you are here. Thanks for your service in the armed forces. I was in from 1961 - 1967. My only regret is I didn't skate back then. Still surfing helped keep my muscles in shape for the time being.
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #384
KiwiCowgirl

Default Hi Everyone!

Hello,

I've been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks waiting for my user account request to be accepted. Now it has I can do some posting!

I am 29 and live in Wellington, New Zealand. I started skating when I was 4 or 5 years old. I did some basic artistic stuff for a couple of years (completed patches but no competitions) and then my little brother and I switched to speed for another 2 or 3 years. We both gave up as teenagers.

When I was at University my roommate and I did some ice figure skating (again, just patches, no competition) but when I left uni I also left one of the only ice rinks in NZ.

Last year a friend of mine talked me into trying out for Roller Derby and I did a fresh meat training course. I've figured out that derby isn't really for me, but I've also realised that I just LOVE skating. So I have decided to go back to artistic. I have had one lesson at our local skating club and loved it but it was Hilarious! I felt like Gulliver on a rink where the average age must have been about 7. It doesn't look like I can get private lessons until I've gone through the patch courses so I'll just have to deal with feeling like an uncoordinated giant for teh time being.

I have ordered some artistic skates (EDEA Preludio boots, Roll Line Variant M plates). They arrive in about 3 weeks and I just can't wait!

Anyway, that's me.

J
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #385
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Welcome, KiwiCowgirl. I know what you mean about being Gulliver at the rink. When I resumed roller skating in 1989, I took group lessons with about twenty children, average age about 10. I was the only adult.

Today, after all the twenty plus years of skating; I've the most fun when skating with children. It just keeps my heart a bit younger. I feel like one of them.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #386
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiCowgirl View Post
Hello,

I've been lurking around this forum for the past few weeks waiting for my user account request to be accepted. Now it has I can do some posting!

I am 29 and live in Wellington, New Zealand. I started skating when I was 4 or 5 years old. I did some basic artistic stuff for a couple of years (completed patches but no competitions) and then my little brother and I switched to speed for another 2 or 3 years. We both gave up as teenagers.

When I was at University my roommate and I did some ice figure skating (again, just patches, no competition) but when I left uni I also left one of the only ice rinks in NZ.

Last year a friend of mine talked me into trying out for Roller Derby and I did a fresh meat training course. I've figured out that derby isn't really for me, but I've also realised that I just LOVE skating. So I have decided to go back to artistic. I have had one lesson at our local skating club and loved it but it was Hilarious! I felt like Gulliver on a rink where the average age must have been about 7. It doesn't look like I can get private lessons until I've gone through the patch courses so I'll just have to deal with feeling like an uncoordinated giant for teh time being.

I have ordered some artistic skates (EDEA Preludio boots, Roll Line Variant M plates). They arrive in about 3 weeks and I just can't wait!

Anyway, that's me.

J
Welcome!

When I started this year, it was just me and a bunch of kids (some of whom belonged to me). I'm in the art club now (as is one of my children) and sadly, I have zero peers. There are a lot of little ones, a few college girls (two who are on the world team this year), me at 34 and then everyone else is closer to retirement age.

Have fun with it. I love it even when I am the only one out with the kids.

S
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #387
KiwiCowgirl

Yeah, it really was an experience. Some of those kids are really good and they have absolutely no fear. I'm sure that I'm going to have a lot of fun at my group lessons.
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #388
hamtaro
love quads, inlines...hmm

unless things are radically different up in welly, once you join a club you should be able to book coaching lessons no matter how good you are. thats how its always been down here in chch. never ever heard of having to do patch (what is this patch thing?) courses to get private lessons
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #389
KMA

At my rink you have to be in the three star class to get private coaching, or be me and find one on your own that the rink does not know about. My daughters are in two star, so there is no private coaching for them. I suggested to the club that maybe they could offer something during a session. They are thinking about it. Meanwhile I have found a friend to teach my daughters. He is great.

I guess I am lucky there are several of adults that seem to be my age (more or less). I am at least not the only giant in my lessons.

Welcome to the forum
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #390
KiwiCowgirl

Hi Hamtaro,

I asked at the rink about coaching when I first signed up, but the ladies there said that you need to do the group lessons first. I'm really happy just doing the group lessons for now :-)

When I did artistic and figure(ice) as a kid the first classes and assessments were called 'Kiwiskate' and you got a little badge when you passed one. Now I guess they are called 'patches'. That's what they teach in the group lessons. I'm not sure what level you have to get to to be able to have private lessons.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #391
hamtaro
love quads, inlines...hmm

good luck with your lessons

it shouldn't take you long to get back into the stride of things, you never really forget how to skate.
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #392
KMA

You are correct, I don't think you forget how to skate, but for me, now I care if I get hurt. I don't want to miss skating (or I guess work).
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #393
Thrillerman

Default Hi there

Hi, I am Steve from the UK (another brit)

I got into skating a bit late at about 28 years old (now 56) and have never competed. Been in 2 clubs along with my son who was about 13 at the time and left both of them due to bad experiences. I can't say more on that topic but my son stopped skating at 18, sold his skates and says he will never go back to it. Such a waste because he has a lot of talent.

So, In January this year I set up my own club. I coach beginners and we have another coach for advanced. We do figures, free and dance and I am loving it!

Fantastic to see people come in unable to stand up on skates and in a few months they are doing basic dances, 3 turns etc. Huge confidence booster.

We skate in a sports hall as the nearest rink is 20 miles away and the rink owner has no interest in clubs etc. Although they do have a dance night once a month.

My skates are quite old but not as old as me. Atlas plate, not sure what model but it has a jump bar. Belati boots. Panther wheels.

Aside from skating I love live music. Played in a band for years as front man and bass player. Taught hundreds of people the 'zombie dance' based on Micheal Jackson's 'Thriller video' for a charity record attempt. (hence the user name)

So HELLO everyone.
Thrillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #394
Ancient1

Hi Thrillerman,
Welcome.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #395
rwsz

Steve welcome to the boards, you can learn a lot here and give some too i am sure. enjoy
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #396
Thrillerman

Thanks Jim and Rick, good to be here.
Thrillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #397
Lourdes

Default Hello

My name is Lourdes. I am 35 years old , I am married to Dan Schallock, and have 2 kids. We all started skating at the same time, about 9 months ago, but they are all much more advanced than me. I have psoriatic arthritis on my right ankle, which has made it some what difficult to jump in to skating full force. About the same time I started skating I also started my Embrel (miracle drug) treatment, so I can walk normal and skate comfortably.

Shortly after I started skating Dan found for me a pair of Harlick skates on Craig's list. They were figure skated, so that is what I have mostly been working on that and a little dance. I am very happy with my figure work, although I still have a ways to go, my ankle rage of motion has increased =)

This Christmas, Dan found me a pair of Ridell boots on Snyder plates, also on Craig's list, but unlike my Harlicks these are not broken in yet... Ouch!
I am really looking forward to braking them in and learning some turns and maybe some jumps. I find that the toe stop gives me quite a bit more confidence when trying new things.

My short term goals are to get more comfortable going backwards, to get better at the mohawk turn and to learn the three turn...I really want to learn the three turn, but again I have to get more conformable going backwards.

This afternoon I will be working on the Heat Molding process for my new boots. I will let you know how it goes on a new thread.
Lourdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #398
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes View Post
My name is Lourdes. I am 35 years old , I am married to Dan Schallock, and have 2 kids. We all started skating at the same time, about 9 months ago, but they are all much more advanced than me. I have psoriatic arthritis on my right ankle, which has made it some what difficult to jump in to skating full force. About the same time I started skating I also started my Embrel (miracle drug) treatment, so I can walk normal and skate comfortably.

Welcome!!! It's so nice to see you here. I have rheumatoid arthritis and Enbrel is my miracle drug as well. Though the injections have been unusually painful lately that I'd almost swear somebody replaced it with Draino or something equally caustic.

I find that the toe stop gives me quite a bit more confidence when trying new things.

I know just what you mean. I use my pair with toe stops for new scary stuff, too.

My short term goals are to get more comfortable going backwards, to get better at the mohawk turn and to learn the three turn...I really want to learn the three turn, but again I have to get more conformable going backwards.

Me, too! I'm working on the Mohawk and it's improved hugely. The three turn, not as much.

This afternoon I will be working on the Heat Molding process for my new boots. I will let you know how it goes on a new thread.
Good luck with it. I haven't tried that process but I know lots of people have had really good success with it. I can't wait to hear how your progress is going.

S
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #399
Lourdes

Thank you Sarah. It is nice to finally meet someone to share the my love of Skating + Embrel with
Lourdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #400
Ancient1

Hi Lourdes,
Welcome to the family. If you have questions, just ask.

I have to ask about your name. It doesn't sound English, but it does sound north eastern european to me. I could be way off, but I am very curious. It is a beautiful name by the way.

Best of Luck and Have fun,