S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 16th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #61
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadster View Post
This has been a very long post, and it may not be of much interest to most people, but I just wanted to share my own personal experience (seeing as there is so little discussion available on topics such as these).
  
Quadster, this is the best post I have ever read on SLF - no contest.

As someone familiar with long posts (that put most people to sleep), I must say that I was so totally drawn into your precisely and eloquently written project summary, that I could almost feel your new inlines on my own feet, even better than I felt the only ones I ever tried many years ago.

While I thought I knew nearly everything there was to know about quads, your post further expanded and clarified many areas of that knowledge.

Since I have effectively no skating experience on inlines, being unable to wear them from severe ankle burn scars received in a childhood accident, I have always wanted to know how skating them would feel compared to quads.

Thanks to your post, I now have a pretty good sense of some of the many ways that quads and inlines feel and roll differently.

I also applaud your dogged efforts toward succeeding with getting exactly the right inline skate build to best suit this comparison project and to best match up with your skating skills & styles. They really look sweet too.

Posting the video links was totally icing on the cake, and I look forward to watching them many times. Nearly everyone in the SLF community could certainly find something useful and interesting in your post, and I advise all members to read and enjoy it.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; December 18th, 2015 at 05:27 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #62
Quadster
Smooth Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Quadster, this is the best post I have ever read on SLF - no contest.
Wow. That is high praise, indeed. Thank you!

Quote:
While I thought I knew nearly everything there was to know about quads, your post further expanded and clarified many areas of that knowledge.
From what I've read of your past posts, you seem to have spent considerable time trying to gain a really in-depth understanding of the details and mechanics of the skating process. Therefore if my post has in any way managed to impart anything in addition to the wealth of information that you've already amassed, then I'm pleased to hear that.

Quote:
Posting the video links was totally icing on the cake, and I look forward to watching them many times. Nearly everyone in the SLF community could certainly find something useful and interesting in your post, and I advise all members to read and enjoy it.
The specifics of exactly how a trick is executed is very important in a discipline as technical as slalom; and video is obviously the most useful way to illustrate that.

There are countless slalom videos on the web, but most of them are full competition rounds. Finding good clear examples of individual tricks is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (so that was another reason for me choosing to add the video links that I did).

Thanks again for your kind words. I do hope that people will go back and watch the various links that I embedded into my post, and perhaps be encouraged to attempt some of the moves for themselves. Slalom (particularly in the USA) does not seem to get the attention or recognition that it deserves, so any new interest that can be generated is to be welcomed.
Quadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #63
mass_quads
Addicted

Just discovered this thread. I didn't even know this type of skating existed. Alex can shred!

All the talk about wheels inspired me. I Just finished turning down some Rollouts I had laying around. I went with 34mm width with a 1/4" corner radius. Can't wait to try them out.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #64
Oicusk82huh

After 2years of ice/figure skating, I'm back on track here...slalom on quads.

On page 2 of this thread, Quadster tells about a French skater and the type of skates he uses. I'm looking up the Roll Line Matrix frame and wondering what the Kingpin angle is.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 04:29 AM   #65
Oicusk82huh

I think I started this thread about 3 years ago!

Slalom on quads is amazing!

The fun thing about quads is that almost all rhythm skating moves can be broken down into a slalom move.

Here's what I've found

QUAD SKATE MOVES = INLINE SLALOM SKATE MOVES
Ohio slow stride = Nelson
Grapevine = Mabrouk
The Dip = Grand Volt
Old school grapevine = Crab Walk
Shoot the duck = Foot Gun
crossed toe spin =Swan

There's about a million more moves that I don't know the name of on quads, but when I'm teaching them to the kids, I alway use the slalom name....Stroll, eagle, crazy.

I've said it before, I'll never be the best at cone skating, but I'm still so in love with it. The local rink has a FANTASTIC new owner, that lets us put up cones all night long. SO NOW ALL THE KIDS ARE FINALLY ABLE TO LEARN!!!!!! AND EXCITED TO LEARN!!!!! Slalom life is complete on quads and inlines.
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:06 PM   #66
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

That is awesome!

If you keep at working on yourself and focus on being your best, there is a good chance one day you will be the best

What wheels are you using right now?
Old March 22nd, 2018, 08:30 AM   #67
Oicusk82huh

I'm on radar varsity plus. (I just like the shiny chrome rims)

I want more slide. My rhythm skating friends recommend either the All American Dream, or the Harmony FoMac. I just can't decide, and everyone's idea of the perfect skate is SOOOOO DIFFERENT!!! Any recommendations?

A few years ago Quadster was on this forum. Are there any other quad-slalom skaters on this forum? Mort, Maybe?
Old March 22nd, 2018, 07:55 PM   #68
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
I'm on radar varsity plus. (I just like the shiny chrome rims)

I want more slide. My rhythm skating friends recommend either the All American Dream, or the Harmony FoMac. I just can't decide, and everyone's idea of the perfect skate is SOOOOO DIFFERENT!!! Any recommendations?

A few years ago Quadster was on this forum. Are there any other quad-slalom skaters on this forum? Mort, Maybe?

We don't do slalom here, we skate sessions. Bobbing and weaving in and out of people skating. Personally I find it much more rewarding. I just don't usually have time to go, and when I do have time, we don't have cones. Also, when we go skate outdoors, typically there will be several of us, and we just haul ass around the local college campus. Urban skating, but without the grinding/sliding on ledges and rails.

If you want slide get a loose bearing and hard wheel. Example would be darn it with C7 stamped on them, or bones reds are pretty loose. If you have 7mm axles, go with 8mm bones reds and use axle sleeves to get more play. The additional play let's the wheels chatter/vibrate across the floor
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:45 PM   #69
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I can, and do skate cones on inlines and quads. Inlines are dedicated Powerslide Hardcore EVO slalom skates. Quads are more Derby oriented semi-speed setup.

Just FYI. I know the thread is old. There are at least two of us here who can skate cones on either style of skate. I was an expert skater on quads for the first 25 years, then switched to inlines exclusively for the next 25 years - speed, hockey, distance, cones, recreation. Never touched a quad in all that time. Took me about a month (30 hours) to get really good on quads again. Now I can switch back and forth on a whim. Takes me about 60 seconds for my brain to make the adjustment.

Somehow I like the quads and cones better. Can't tell you why.
Old June 8th, 2018, 09:42 AM   #70
Oicusk82huh

Hey Joey, looks like it's just you and me left here in the wasteland!

A few years ago I was trying to get better at inline slalom skating, but there were no slalom skaters where I live. Going to the city was getting pretty expensive. I decided to enroll in some ICE skating lessons (figure skating). I figured that since my upper body was giving me problems, that a professional figure skater was probably my best option for learning control. I figured that if I could learn good body mechanics, that I'd be able to apply that to inline skating through cones.

The ice captured my heart like nothing else ever had. The coaches were strict and I started ice skating 5 days a week because I could not get enough of it. I set some personal goals and was able to achieve them. Slalom inline skating took a backseat to my new love...ICE SKATING.

TWO YEARS goes by and now I was like, wow, what happened? Two years ago I had bought quad skates to learn slalom on quads, but never even wore them. Ice skating had stollen my soul at the exact same time.

So I decided to put on those quad skates and try something new.

BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! I like the quad skates better than anything I've ever skated! THEY HAVE AN ACTUAL EDGE, JUST LIKE AN ICE SKATE.

IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THAN EDGES? ANYTHING???? NO!!!!!!!!!

So there it is. My whole story. I ended where I began when I was a little kid. Back on quad skates. I can incorporate everything, my OBSESSIVE PASSION FOR INLINE SLALOM SKATING, AND MY MEGA OBSESSION WITH THE EDGES that I learned to live for in ice skating. All of my favorite aspects of skating (slalom inline and figure skating on ice) all come together on quads.

I still enjoy inlines for outdoor skating, but they have no sway over the quads. Slalom on quads.
Old June 8th, 2018, 10:04 AM   #71
Derrick

Quote:

BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! I like the quad skates better than anything I've ever skated! THEY HAVE AN ACTUAL EDGE, JUST LIKE AN ICE SKATE.

IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THAN EDGES? ANYTHING???? NO!!!!!!!!!
Now, if I could rotate in the air better, like an axel, I might have a close contender. And spininnig as tight as I can get, is pretty close. But still, nothing is as good as the edges.
Old June 8th, 2018, 01:49 PM   #72
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Hey Joey, looks like it's just you and me left here in the wasteland!
Apparently not! Derrick made an appearance! Finally.

I have a similar story to yours. I used to play roller hockey. One by one my team mates were lured by the ice rink until there was no more roller hockey. The ice rink was beyond my means to get to so that was that. The Sirens failed to dash me upon the frozen rocks! But...

Now the similar part. You know I recently rediscovered quad skates (last November) and have been dedicating myself to becoming an expert on them once again after a 25 year love affair with inline skates exclusively (25 years on quads before the inlines). Well, now I'm kinda hooked on the quads and have a $500 pair of inline slalom skates gathering dust. Yeah, I can easily switch back and forth but I am really enjoying standing on a platform instead of a blade while skating. I have even started using the quads for street skating again. Yeah, the inlines are probably better EXCEPT when the ground is wet. My inlines are fatal on damp surfaces and the quads don't care. Plenty of grip.

Funny you mention "edges" because I was feeling that my inlines would lose their edge very easily on wet surfaces but since the quads had no edges this was not an issue. All four wheels just slide a little bit - easy to control and even a bit fun as compared to gritting my teeth on inlines when slick out.

So the "edge" you mentioned - are you actually on the edge of two wheels? Or is it something else you are feeling on four wheels? Very curious.

=====================================

And if you are looking for online support, join us over at Endomondo! Endo is an online fitness community where most people track their workouts with phone apps or GPS devices, but this is not necessary! You can easily track your slalom time with a simple wristwatch or clock and upload that info to the website via laptop or phone. And you will acquire lots of friends who skate (not slalom tho) who will all encourage you through likes and comments regularly along with challenges you can join. I created some time-based challenges especially for people skating in rinks, around cones, in skate parks, etc. Strictly time spend skating. You might enjoy the company!

https://www.endomondo.com/

My name at Endomondo is Joey Brooks.

https://www.endomondo.com/profile/35663751

My skating time challenge you might find helpful is this one for June. I renew it every month so you can join up for July and start with zero hours like everyone else will have to:

https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/37190014

Endomondo has a free level. It is very useful. $30/year adds features and removes advertisements.

Fitness sites like Endomondo, Strava, and many others is partly why no one is here. Also, Facebook groups play a large part. There are likely a few dedicated to slalom if you have a Facebook page of your own. I don't bother with Facebook. Endo is enough. So you should at least join and take a look around.

Great to hear from you at any rate! I still get notifications from this string on Skatelog so use this now and then if you don't do Endomondo and I will drop by and catch up.

Cheers and good skating!

Joey
Old June 8th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #73
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Funny you mention "edges" because I was feeling that my inlines would lose their edge very easily on wet surfaces but since the quads had no edges this was not an issue. All four wheels just slide a little bit - easy to control and even a bit fun as compared to gritting my teeth on inlines when slick out.

So the "edge" you mentioned - are you actually on the edge of two wheels? Or is it something else you are feeling on four wheels? Very curious.

=====================================

Joey
Itís 4 wheels. Either foot pressing one side or the other to make arcs. Seems borish, but hold that pres, it gets quite fun. Go every way forward backward pressing and holding the inside or outside edge. Deep edges are tighter arcs. The tighter the arc the harder it is to complete a full circle. Now skate on all arcs no flats (no going straight) switching arcs. Thatís a change of edge. Jump and turn landing on an arc. usually a backward outside edge. Try it also with different body positions. One leg behind (arebesque). Seems simple but you will feel like you are flying. Itís even a different at different speeds.

The term edge comed from ice skating where the inside or outside of the blade cuts the ice as you describe an arc. The trucks of the quad imitate the same
arc as a cutting edge so we still call them edges.
Old June 9th, 2018, 01:04 AM   #74
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Thanks Derrick. Interesting concept. I'll try thinking about that while skating on the quads.
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #75
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default Quads and Cones

Not sure I ever posted a video of my slalom in the house sessions ON QUADS here yet. Time to resurrect this thread again. Hope you all are well (both of you)!

https://vimeo.com/279593622

You may notice I ditched the stoppers. I found the file to make some stopper plugs on a 3-D printer that a friend has. He whipped these up in a minute. These plugs prevent the skate frame from messing up the floor.

OK. That's all the new stuff!