S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old November 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Silverwing86
Inline Figure newbie

Default Warm up...

Hi all,

As a(n ancient ) newbie about to embark upon my first Inline Figure Skating experiences I have a question. Possibly not the smartest of questions, but I need to learn and haven't got anyone here to show me the ropes. so here goes nothing...

What about warm ups ? Do you warm up before skating ? If so, what exactly do you do and how long do you do it for ?

Any suggestions on this subject would be very welcome...

Silver
Silverwing86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #2
QuetzalPhoenix

Yush! Warm up is a must! Especially in colder weather.

I tend to run on the spot (theres normally not enough room to run around lol) for a good 2-3 mins, which is taking it easy to tell the truth, but whatevers comfy for you and warms you up.
Then a few side steps and lunges.
Next come the leg stretches, then torso, back, arms and neck.
I sometimes roll my ankles round too as they get a bit siff sometimes.

I warm-up more than I used to and find it helps a lot because I feel more relaxed and ready to get on with stuff when I get out there.

As for how long it takes, about 10 mins usually. I don't think that's enough, but I'm too impatient to get my skates on
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #3
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Warm-ups

It is best to warm-up first with exercises that get the blood moving, like leg swings, jumping jacks, anything that you have in your normal routine that does this. Then stretches are good. Never do stretches on muscles that aren't warmed up. So some coaches recommend doing the stretches after skating. I'll also work on situps. It is also good to bring your own personal exericse mat. Then I'll work on jumps on the floor off the rink.

Once I hit the rink I'll spend a lot of time on edges. If I'm on inlines I'll do a lot of swizzles and two foot half turns, like skiing along with alternating three-turns. I'll do this front and backwards. On quads I'll just focus more on edging, swing rolls and whatever fundamentals I'm working on in my current new dances. I also do a lot of crossovers in a figure eight pattern around the rink.

Sometimes I'll use my dance patterns to warm up for my freestyle.

Once I'm warmed up then I'll move on to figures, dance or freestyle.

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing86 View Post
Hi all,

As a(n ancient ) newbie about to embark upon my first Inline Figure Skating experiences I have a question. Possibly not the smartest of questions, but I need to learn and haven't got anyone here to show me the ropes. so here goes nothing...

What about warm ups ? Do you warm up before skating ? If so, what exactly do you do and how long do you do it for ?

Any suggestions on this subject would be very welcome...

Silver