S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old April 25th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Lerroy178

Default SEBA High 2008 vs 2010

are there any major differences between the two models years? i found a pair of each but dont know what the changes where between the two are.
Lerroy178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #2
jipe

No real differences besides the color scheme.
jipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
GregT

Also, I think the 2012 model includes a Balance liner, which I've heard has less extreme a break-in period.

Though I don't know if that means it will in the long-run be less stiff than the excellent old High liner. But I believe Seba considers this a product upgrade.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
Also, I think the 2012 model includes a Balance liner, which I've heard has less extreme a break-in period.

Though I don't know if that means it will in the long-run be less stiff than the excellent old High liner. But I believe Seba considers this a product upgrade.
Greg, don't be daft. The 2012 Highs do have a liner upgrade from the older model, but it's not a Balance liner. Those babies are special, you gotta pay extra for them.
stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Naomi

I heard a rumor that the word 'daft' had been used in a post on this page, and decided that a visit was in order.

Lerroy, 2008 and 2010 are pretty much identical. The frame is absolutely identical but has ever so slightly different design printed onto it. They might also have different logo on it. And somethings that were blue or red might be red or blue respectively.

There was an earlier model, the original, which looked very different. And there is a newer model since, which has more significant changes, however the 2008 and 2010 model are almost identical.

Greg. Balance liner? Dude.

Edit: Wait, you say you found a pair of each? Where? In the USA? On two different websites? They're likely the very same pair of skates, but each site has called them a different model year. Seriously, I'm probably looking at them right now, since old model skates tend to be operated out of the central uber-store-warehouse-party-location in which I spend most waking hours, tinkering with skates.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy View Post
Greg, don't be daft. The 2012 Highs do have a liner upgrade from the older model, but it's not a Balance liner. Those babies are special, you gotta pay extra for them.
"Daft"? I haven't found my dictionary yet, but from context clues, it doesn't sound good.
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #7
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
Greg. Balance liner? Dude.
Er oh.

Message from Naomi to stacy:

"See, this is why we don't let the gimp out of the basement."
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Lerroy178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi View Post

Edit: Wait, you say you found a pair of each? Where? In the USA? On two different websites? They're likely the very same pair of skates, but each site has called them a different model year. Seriously, I'm probably looking at them right now, since old model skates tend to be operated out of the central uber-store-warehouse-party-location in which I spend most waking hours, tinkering with skates.
One site was a Germany company (dont remember there name), they had the 2008's and ProSkaters Place ca had some 2010's left.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Inl9r

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post

Still took me 3 months to get comfy, Greg. I skate an hour almost every day. Now they're snug. I bought the all black model..
Inl9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #10
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inl9r View Post
Still took me 3 months to get comfy, Greg. I skate an hour almost every day. Now they're snug. I bought the all black model..
3 months? Oh that is a long time. It took me about a month I think.

Note from thread above that I was wrong regarding the balance liner. The 2012 Seba High _does_ included an upgraded High liner, but NOT the Balance liner. Sorry for the misinfo.

How are you liking that pre-rockered frame on your 2012 Sebas?
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Inl9r

How's yr leg, Greg? Not using yr new iGoR yet?

My High and Trix came without pre rockered frames. Only iGoR 2012 has them. Fine by me as I only do street skating so far.
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #12
GregT

Quote:
How's yr leg, Greg? Not using yr new iGoR yet?

My High and Trix came without pre rockered frames. Only iGoR 2012 has them. Fine by me as I only do street skating so far.
Doh! I'm batting zero on knowing the new 2012 line. I had seen "rockered wheels" listed for the High on SkateCrazy.net, but they meant 2 wheel sizes as a free option, not a pre-rockered frame. I need to read more carefully before I comment again on the forum.
--
I've skated some but freestyle is a bit tough as there is a lot of pain when the cuff presses hard against my inner ankle. Technical stuff doesn't cause as much pain. I generally can only skate about an hour before I need to give it a rest. Just 1-2 times a week, though I hope to increase that soon.

I still haven't laced up the new Igors yet, though. Just because I don't want to go through the additional pain of breaking them in yet. Hopefully soon though. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Lerroy178

Quote:
O' boy, its going to take me a long time then to get mine comfy. I only get to skate 3 hours a week if im lucky.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Inl9r

Greg, keep up the self restrain! Your ankle needs time to heal.

Lerroy, wear them when ur watching tv. Trick is how you lace them. Needs lots of practice. Helps with the break in as well.
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Lerroy178

unfortunately, that wont work either for me. i watch far less TV a week and i skate. Good news is i skated for about 3 straight hours yesterday so, I'm +3 for the week

how do you lace them? do you have a pic or yours laces i could see?

they are still tight but, nothing i cant with, i just take shorts breaks. the only thing that really hurts is the mid buckle strap. when tight, it pushes down on the 2 lace eyelets below it and it presses them into the top of my foot. i have to keep moving the strap off the eyelets as i skate from time to time.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Inl9r

I find that lacing do a better job than the straps in my Seba skates. In Highs, I keep the bottom half not too tight or I'll get numb on my feet. I keep that bottom strap rather loose so that I won't feel the eyelets. Now I just lace up till the second last hole. Also cut off about an inch off the top strap so that it can be tightened properly.

Yeah the break in is not as bad as they say. But it's irritating to get numbness every time I skate when I lace or strap them on too tight or too loose. Aligning the frame also helps as you should not feel too much pressure on either side of the boots. Skating on one leg helps u determine if ur frame is not properly centered.
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #17
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerroy178 View Post
how do you lace them? do you have a pic or yours laces i could see?
I lace mine "normally", though I do skip the middle (2nd-to-top) pair of eyelets on the cuff (just X-cross the laces as normal from the lower-most cuff eyelets to the upper-most cuff eyelets. This doesn't really affect the tightness, but does give you some extra slack in the lace to make tying easier.

Make sure you DON'T skip the recessed pair of eyelets at the point where your foot attaches to your ankle. Those are the most important anchor points to really lock your foot into the boot. And I agree with Inl9r, the laces are more important than the straps on Seba Highs, as you have more control over tightness at individual regions across the entire boot.

When you first start, the process of tying your laces on Highs can be a struggle, as there is a lot of hardware that is bent forward and can get in the way of your hands when you try to tighten the skate.

To combat this, I:

1) put my hands together, palm-to-palm and fingers extended like I'm gonna pray. Yeah, I'm an atheist, but I figure it couldn't hurt.

2) Keeping my hands together like this, I "dive" in between all the hardware on the sides (like I'm diving into a pool). This just means you push your praying hands through all the curved straps/hardward towards the bottom of the boot.

3) Then separate your hands, and use the backs of your hands to push and keep all the curving hardware out of your way as you tighten the laces, working your way up the boot. You are then ready to tie the laces at the top of the boot.

I like my laces really tight. Well, at least when I'm not recovering from ankle surgery.

Don't worry. You'll quickly get used to the process.

Good luck!
-greg
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Naomi

Over the years I've become really lazy with laces. If I'm just teaching I'll often just not do the laces up, & do the 2 straps up instead.

What I do notice though, is that the difference between lacing and not lacing is huge. I can get by without the laces, and I can do most tricks, but when I then do up the laces, I feel like a super hero and my skates feel so much lighter. Its like cleaning your glasses.
Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Lerroy178

I went out Tuesday night and tried with the laces tight. Feels really good. Took some work too get them off when i was finished also. These skates blow my Twisters out the water. Some tricks with the Rb's I tried then, promptly never tried again because I thought I might brake my ankle doing so, I can do with the SEBA's with no fear of that.