S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old January 13th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #21
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

I know when I was at Hyper (circa 1987-1990) Tom was pouring wheels for a couple big name European racers... At least one guy in Spain... and can't remember the other

There was no mention of Hyper's name on the wheels anywhere, but they did carry the name of the buyer. When I asked Tom why we were making a wheel with someone else's name on it he explained that it was next to impossible to get a foot in the door with the Europen skaters because they wouldn't buy what they didn't know. So he could either sell no wheels in Spain, or 250 sets with someone else's name on them.

The buyer also wanted them shipped as cheap as possible so they crossed the Atlantic nestled in the cargo hold of a freighter.

And speaking of great names from the past I can still remember how crazy fast the Italians were off the line. I had the pleasure of meeting and skating with Giuseppe De Persio once and he had the most insane launch I had ever seen. He took 3 steps to every one of my two, and he was light as a feather on his feet. I realize I wasn't exactly setting records back then, but dang, that guy had me by over a full body length in just 5 steps. Race over before it even started
BackofthePack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #22
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackofthePack View Post
I know when I was at Hyper (circa 1987-1990) Tom was pouring wheels for a couple big name European racers... At least one guy in Spain... and can't remember the other

There was no mention of Hyper's name on the wheels anywhere, but they did carry the name of the buyer. When I asked Tom why we were making a wheel with someone else's name on it he explained that it was next to impossible to get a foot in the door with the Europen skaters because they wouldn't buy what they didn't know. So he could either sell no wheels in Spain, or 250 sets with someone else's name on them.

The buyer also wanted them shipped as cheap as possible so they crossed the Atlantic nestled in the cargo hold of a freighter.

And speaking of great names from the past I can still remember how crazy fast the Italians were off the line. I had the pleasure of meeting and skating with Giuseppe De Persio once and he had the most insane launch I had ever seen. He took 3 steps to every one of my two, and he was light as a feather on his feet. I realize I wasn't exactly setting records back then, but dang, that guy had me by over a full body length in just 5 steps. Race over before it even started
BOTP:

There was another famous Italian Sprinter from Italy with the same first name "Giuseppe" but his last name was "CANTARELLA" . In the 60's and 70's he dominated the sprints many times at the FIRS World Speed Skating Championships. He was built like Eric Heiden!!!

Racer (The Splitwoods guy)
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #23
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemo004 View Post
I was just wondering, apart from the American made wheels: Powell Peralta, Labeda and Hyper, do many people know about the Cruciani (or *CG* as they are known) wheels and the Universal wheels??
Both of these are Italian, and I was not sure if many other people know of them. They aren't real flash to look at, but they all worked REALLY well on the right surfaces.
Could not help but notice you are in NZ!

Back in the late 60's thru mid 70's, we ran C&L Speed Skating Eqpt.,Inc. In New Jersey.....we were the exclusive importers for ROLLA in NZ and also produced our own "SPLIT WOODS" WOODEN RACING WHEELS, made from imported NZ Kahita White Pine...Did you start racing after woods were history???

I was always disappointed I did not visit your beautiful country when I had the opportunity. Met some great racers from NZ back then....

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote