S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #21
quantoo

Default yeah man this reminds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
OK...time to put this to rest. I'm retarded. Now what? Is someone going to say that I can't call myself retarded?
Was getting a lot of laughs from shopkeepers a while back from saying that im a bit retarded.And my kids were kind of laughing along as well .But i went to pickup something at the record shop and it went a something like this now that i remmember. She said are you alright there and i said no im a bit retarded.
expecting a bit of a laugh i got a talking to instead .The woman said your not retarded and that she had a down syndrome son that required a lot of attention and that she was quite offended .So my daughter immediatly said that back fired didnt it daddy. so needless to say i wont be dion that anymore at the shops.
so i suppose you just gotta pick your audience with that 1.
And ive worked with a special person before and its a real eyeopener.
but he had a sense of humor and was hell bent that doin karate on the bombs would stop them if they came.As this was at the time of sept 11 and he was concerned about what he saw on television.you never knew exactly where he was taking a nap but he would dissapear and you would find him a sleep somewhere. Great young bloke stocky built and i would measure his biceps for him every morning at work ,24" bout the same arm circumference as hulk hogan.He had the mind of a 6 yr old trapped in a 19 year old body.
good memorys to have.i can see how hard it would be to live with him full time.

Last edited by quantoo; March 17th, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #22
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Was getting a lot of laughs from shopkeepers a while back from saying that im a bit retarded.And my kids were kind of laughing along as well .But i went to pickup something at the record shop and it went a something like this now that i remmember. She said are you alright there and i said no im a bit retarded.
expecting a bit of a laugh i got a talking to instead .The woman said your not retarded and that she had a down syndrome son that required a lot of attention and that she was quite offended .So my daughter immediatly said that back fired didnt it daddy. so needless to say i wont be dion that anymore at the shops.
so i suppose you just gotta pick your audience with that 1.
And ive worked with a special person before and its a real eyeopener.
but he had a sense of humor and was hell bent that doin karate on the bombs would stop them if they came.As this was at the time of sept 11 and he was concerned about what he saw on television.you never knew exactly where he was taking a nap but he would dissapear and you would find him a sleep somewhere. Great young bloke stocky built and i would measure his biceps for him every morning at work ,24" bout the same arm circumference as hulk hogan.He had the mind of a 6 yr old trapped in a 19 year old body.
good memorys to have.i can see how hard it would be to live with him full time.
I am a firm believer that no person should be mistreated and that all people should get the constructive help that they need when they need it.

With this strongly impressed on my brain, and in my worldview, we are all retarded. This is what I meant. Me being retarded is not an indictment of me, it is a description of me because I am being mistreated and I am not receiving the constructive help that I need when I need it.

So when I see someone that may be commonly viewed as "retarded" or "special needs" or some other label that really doesn't describe HOW to go about fulfilling that person's needs, I simply provide them with the constructive help that they need when they need it, without mistreating anyone else.

It's kinda like what a paramedic does. When a paramedic arrives on the scene of an automobile accident they make a quick assessment of all of the people who need help. They then proceed to help the person who needs help the most to get the most constructive help. Then they go to the next person who needs help the most out of the group of people who need help. Then the next person, then the next person, and so on. By helping everyone who needs help they are not mistreating anyone. So it's the same thing.

Some people will argue that these labels help to identify people who may need more help than other people. But just think...just think...wouldn't we be able to identify the people who need help the most just like a paramedic does? I mean if we came upon a car accident and there were three victims of the accident. One person is holding their head kinda walking around as if they were in a daze. Another person is laying against a curb and their leg is bent in a strange manner as if it may be broken. And the third person is in a car and appears to be unconscious and it also appears that the car is about to burst into flames...wouldn't you be able to determine which person needs help the most?

Well, this response was really not an argument about labels but that is something to think about. It was more about my view in that all people need help. And if anyone who needs help is not getting the constructive help that they need when there are people who are able to provide the constructive help that the person needs but who are refusing to do so, then that person is being "retarded".

Last edited by Edward Williams; March 18th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:04 AM   #23
quantoo

Default the world would be a better place

If people got the help they needed.
No 1 person can bethe best at everthing.
Sometimes i edit my post's because i rush them and later realise that they can be taken the wrong way.
Im retarded because because it took me 2 hrs to mount the stack of tubs on my garage wall.It would take a trades person 20 minutes.
I get what your saying to a point as sometimes the examples set arent black and white.
Like what if the guy in the car accident that's walking around dazed is internally hemorrhaging? And if i save him last but he dies that means im just a little bit retarded on first aid compared to a trained ambulance driver.
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
If people got the help they needed.
No 1 person can bethe best at everthing.
Sometimes i edit my post's because i rush them and later realise that they can be taken the wrong way.
Im retarded because because it took me 2 hrs to mount the stack of tubs on my garage wall.It would take a trades person 20 minutes.
I get what your saying to a point as sometimes the examples set arent black and white.
Like what if the guy in the car accident that's walking around dazed is internally hemorrhaging? And if i save him last but he dies that means im just a little bit retarded on first aid compared to a trained ambulance driver.
Well it basically means you need help in improving your ability to make adequate and accurate assessments of the people around you and the help that they need. But we all need help in doing that.

No one knows all things about all things. Nobody. Or even all things about one thing. If you know all things about one thing then you know all things about all things because everything is connected.

So don't be down on yourself. It's all a process of continuing growth.
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #25
bmb527
Old guy with mohawk

A word, retard, queer, ******, etc. has no strength unless people give that word power. For the last 4 years, I have been fat. I get called fat and it doesn't bother me one bit. I even make fun of myself. One of my best friends is a black guy that grew up in Mississippi. He was called ****** by the whites his entire life. I was extremely careful to never utter the word in his, or anyone else's presence. He told me that the word has zero meaning to him because it is only 6 letters strung together. I watched to see if he acted angry or upset after being called that word and he would just go about his day as if he had no cares in the world.
I think that these days, people worry too much about being politically correct. These are just words, if someone calls you a retard and it truly offends you, maybe you should work on being a bit thicker skinned!
These are probably the same people that run to sue for a hostile workplace if their boss calls them out on a stupid mistake.
These are just words.
bmb527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #26
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb527 View Post
A word, retard, queer, ******, etc. has no strength unless people give that word power. For the last 4 years, I have been fat. I get called fat and it doesn't bother me one bit. I even make fun of myself. One of my best friends is a black guy that grew up in Mississippi. He was called ****** by the whites his entire life. I was extremely careful to never utter the word in his, or anyone else's presence. He told me that the word has zero meaning to him because it is only 6 letters strung together. I watched to see if he acted angry or upset after being called that word and he would just go about his day as if he had no cares in the world.
I think that these days, people worry too much about being politically correct. These are just words, if someone calls you a retard and it truly offends you, maybe you should work on being a bit thicker skinned!
These are probably the same people that run to sue for a hostile workplace if their boss calls them out on a stupid mistake.
These are just words.
All of our thoughts are formed initially from words, so much so that they become more important than what we're seeing. This is why you can look at something and not even see it, because of the words that are already in your mind. You can look right at something happening and call it something else because that is the way that the words have been formed in your mind to describe what you're looking at.

The real question is what are you gonna DO to that person as a result of labeling them retarded?

Are you gonna deny them the constructive help that they need when they need it?
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #27
quantoo

Default you do have a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb527 View Post
These are just words.
I think name calling does empower those who seek to knock somebody out of the competition. If you can still go about your business after being called a name, you'll get your business done sooner than if you kick up a stink about it.
So that would take the power away from the name caller,especially if you win.
Whether its knocking somebody out of the competition or just getting a rise out of somebody else's pain,it means they aren't a quality person and deep down they know it.
The guy at work {white bloke} thought it was funny to play racist tapes.
I sang along but changed the words it embarrassed him so much he never bought the tapes back. They sure have guts behind peoples backs or when they out number somebody.when i said go into Dandenong and say that to those Sudanese playing basket ball. he was quiet after that.
If a person is a different race and a pain in the ass its the person not the race!