S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old September 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #41
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDUSTIN123 View Post
im sure how this is possible. if it is ill stand corrected. but why do you think this?
It was the extra 1mm diameter in weight on the axle. LOL. Boat anchors.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #42
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

Me thinks there was is some sarcasm afoot
Old September 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #43
Dec8rSk8r

Reading about the $400 price tag and 8mm axles on new Pro-Lines makes me glad I just opted for used. Does anyone know what hardness the old yellow cushions were? I hope they were soft.

< Looks like Lifesavers!
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #44
EISNERRACING

Labeda is using 8mm because it is the standard.
More avil bearings in a size 8mm
also i have skated a labeda my whole life and i havent bent a 7mm axle
I have seen many other bend them ... alot!!! Normal spped pratice and in a fall.

So labeda is bringing out a new product to be like the old proline dont you think they would have went to 8mm also because they are 1 mm larger meaning stronger..

Also dont you think Labeda figures that they have to make a plate as good if not better than there first proline to keep customers happy.

They cant make every cry baby happy - someone will always bash a great product.

Just like jimmy said he doesnt call Ford every week to tell him his new F150 is bad a** but as soon as it has a problem they will get an ear full of this truck is crap, its junk etc.
EISNERRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #45
EISNERRACING

Old yellow??

not yellow when new they were white and they were the med hardness.
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #46
EISNERRACING

blue hard
pink soft
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #47
Dec8rSk8r

[QUOTE=EISNERRACING;324129]They cant make every cry baby happy - someone will always bash a great product.
[QUOTE]

Well, I am not crying, I am just not buying these $400 mm axle plates. Not when all my bearings are 7mm. Labeda is welcome to change their product, but fortunately I don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EISNERRACING View Post
blue hard
pink soft
this part I actually knew from the website that I got the picture from

Quote:
Old yellow??

not yellow when new they were white and they were the med hardness.
thank you for this tidbit, now I know they will need new cushions for real
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #48
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

Quote:
Labeda is using 8mm because it is the standard. More avil bearings in a size 8mm
I'm thinking it's more like they were already available and sourcing them was quick and cost effective which allowed them to re-release some plates to the growing derby market. And I"m thinking that because that's what I was told by Shelly a couple months ago. According to Shelly the ProLine stopped being sold because 1) sales had tanked, and 2) the price they were paying for those 7mm trucks had tripled over the span of just a few years.

Quote:
So labeda is bringing out a new product to be like the old proline dont you think they would have went to 8mm also because they are 1 mm larger meaning stronger..
Well, it's already been mentioned here that Reactors are shipping from the factory with bent axles, so apparently larger does not necessarily means stronger. There is much more to Metallurgy than size.

Quote:
Also dont you think Labeda figures that they have to make a plate as good if not better than there first proline to keep customers happy.
No. I'm figuring they saw an opportunity to cheaply combine some readily available trucks with existing warehouse stock which allowed them to fill a void in a market that had picked up again. Sometimes it really can be as simple as taking advantage of an opportunity to make a buck.
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #49
EISNERRACING

QUOTE:No. I'm figuring they saw an opportunity to cheaply combine some readily available trucks with existing warehouse stock which allowed them to fill a void in a market that had picked up again. Sometimes it really can be as simple as taking advantage of an opportunity to make a buck.
##################################################

Well i know for a fact labeda does not have over stock in plates. I talked with tony at the plant in china where the proline and reactor are being machined right now.

here is my proof..asked tony to send pic of new labedas

Old September 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #50
niteridr95

just because the axle is larger DOES NOT mean its stronger... the axle is larger so the manufacture thinks they can skimp on quality of the axle... ive bent so many axles in my life its not even funny from landings... 7mm and 8mm... and ive bent reactor axles any suregrip axles... even a snyder advantage axle.... but my prolines were always straight(not saying the snyder wastn as good as the proline the snyder was prolly a bad landing)
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #51
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

The old 7mm axels are stronger. Just like bolts you can buy, the black ones are grade 8 where the silver ones are grade 5 or less. There are no current 8mm axels in production that are grade 8 steel. I bent a reactor axel but then again Im a fat ass LOL but it was because I was being really stupid and slammed into the side of the rink when I went wide to avoid a potential crash. The bearings do fit better on the 7mm also. Bearings are made on the metric scale, skate axels are made on the standard scale. They do not fit perfect unless you get a roll-line with a true 7mm axel. The 8mm is a little more sloppy but it does not affect the performance or roll. I am happy rollin on my 8mm axels and the current best bearing out there for the money is the Bones Super 6 Swiss, only available in 8mm. I love mine!
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #52
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

It's more like Labeda doesn't have an overstock of plates ANY LONGER. They blew out a good number of old inventory several months ago when they first worked the deal for the reactor trucks and then combined them with existing stock. (Those were the plates that popped up in a handful of limited sizes in both standard and NTS versions and were snatched up in just a few days. There is an old post titled "Labeda is getting back into the quad game" if you care to read up on where this all started. There has never been a problem getting more plates made, that's a simple machining process that can be knocked out on just about any CNC 3 axis machine. The real problem has been sourcing the trucks.

Shelly mentioned 2 specifics in our coversation and one was that the quad market (specifically derby) looked like it was picking up again and second, that they had been able to source trucks cheap enough to sell the plate at a competitive price but that it was going to come with 8mm and not 7mm axles. So from a business standpoint it makes no sense for Labeda to go out and have 7mm trucks re-tooled at who knows what cost to test out the current market. Not when it's cheaper and quicker to just order up some of those 8mm ones that were already out there and call it a day.

As for the trucks themselves, I seriousy do not believe that there is any cutting edge improvement with this batch of 8mm trucks. Tolerances are just too questionable, and from what's being posted it's debatable if they are indeed stronger than the 7mm trucks that we're used to seeing. Regardless, 8mm does get the job done and seeing as they're likely here to stay we're probably stuck having to live with them.

Now as far as 8mm being the industry standard, well, if by that you mean various manufacturers have flooded the market over the past several years with cheap skate packages with 8mm axles and as a result there's a lot of skaters out there that don't know any different, then sure, I'm on board with that one.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #53
AussieScott

Default Why buy a Proline?

OK now someone is going to have to explain to me why anyone should buy a Proline instead of a Reactor considering they are:
1. made in the same factory.
2. use the same trucks.
3. look almost identical.
4. truck geometry is the same ie 5 degree King pins.
5. the Reactor is supposedly $100 cheaper.

So please correct me if I am wrong the king pins can be put on either plate also?

So based on all of this for $100 dollars extra I get a plate with some very slight cosmetic differences and a Labeda sticker or 2 if I am lucky.

Mmmm I think if I was shopping for plates I'd go the Reactor based on these facts assuming I am accurate in what I have typed above.

Oh and if the rumors are correct that no NTS plates are being produced what are Labeda offering that I can not already buy?
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #54
ThommyBoy
Quad Speed since 1981

Default ETA unknown

I received a second reply from Shelly as to both the Pro lines and the new Stilettos with the All Aluminum Hub[ no hubcaps!].

They are not available as of yet, but will let us know when.

Cheers, THOM
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #55
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieScott View Post
OK now someone is going to have to explain to me why anyone should buy a Proline instead of a Reactor considering they are:
1. made in the same factory.
2. use the same trucks.
3. look almost identical.
4. truck geometry is the same ie 5 degree King pins.
5. the Reactor is supposedly $100 cheaper.

So please correct me if I am wrong the king pins can be put on either plate also?

So based on all of this for $100 dollars extra I get a plate with some very slight cosmetic differences and a Labeda sticker or 2 if I am lucky.

Mmmm I think if I was shopping for plates I'd go the Reactor based on these facts assuming I am accurate in what I have typed above.

Oh and if the rumors are correct that no NTS plates are being produced what are Labeda offering that I can not already buy?
Its the cushions Scott...lol
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #56
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I agree Scott.

A while ago I tore apart a Proline and reverse engineered it and made some part drawings. The fit and finish was superb. I was really amazed at the level of detail and craftsmanship.

Then I tore into a Reactor. The quality was lost. The parts looked similar to a Proline, but they are not quite the same. The finishes are poor, and the fits are marginal. Overall, it is still a decent plate, but a Proline it is not.

Now, with prolines coming out of the same shop as the Reactors, are they going to hold the standards as before, or are we going to get the chop shop job of the Reactor?????

If the fit and finish of the new Prolines is the same as the old ones, I would gladly pay the extra $100. But if they are built to Reactor standards, I'll save the $100 and buy a reactor.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #57
AussieScott

Default Proline VS Reactor.

Hey Kennedy,
mate since we all now the trucks are going to be the same would you like to go into more detail about what you noticed in the fit and finish differences.

Cheers,
Scott.
AussieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM   #58
Dec8rSk8r

Smile Yay! They say 7mm available if you want them! Yes we do!

"Labeda Pro-Line: One of the most successful high end quad plates ever is back. The new version comes with 8mm trucks instead of 7mm, but other than that we couldn’t find any changes. They’ll have 7mm trucks available if you need those. The plates are 7000 series aluminum with a special angle geometry to reduce stress to the trucks and king pins. A lot of people have been waiting a long time for this plate to be available again, and now it is finally going to happen." -http://seskate.com/news/seskate/21-labeda-skates.html
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #59
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Meh

Quote:
Labeda is using 8mm because it is the standard.
No. They're using 8mm because that's how Reactor trucks come. That and they're on the derby bandwagon, so they want to make sure none of those Kwik ABEC 1's and China Reds go to waste.

Quote:
More avil bearings in a size 8mm
True. Skateboards and vacuum cleaners help that. Vast majority of 8mm bearings are junk.

Quote:
Not so at all. With one possible exception, 8mm axles are made of inferior steel. That they are 1mm larger in diameter is irrelevant.

Quote:
The Great Quad Renaissance is underway, and they're smart business people, so they're making what the market wants. Will it be as good? Maybe. Better? Doubtful.
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #60
MRDUSTIN123
Hi! how are ya?

im glad that quads are finally making a comeback. idk if its derby or the massive amount of money the skatelog community spends on skating equipment per year but im happy either way.