S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old February 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #41
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
The BS and name calling did turn into this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1uj...ature=youtu.be
I saw that on facebook, and that is sad. I have a son the same age, and as a parent I can understand his frustration, but I really don't like how either of them handled that. It's facebook, not showyourassbook. If parents and children can't find a better way to communicate their private issues with each other better than that, they seriously need some family counseling.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #42
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I saw that on facebook, and that is sad. I have a son the same age, and as a parent I can understand his frustration, but I really don't like how either of them handled that. It's facebook, not showyourassbook. If parents and children can't find a better way to communicate their private issues with each other better than that, they seriously need some family counseling.
I think both of them was wrong.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #43
Dec8rSk8r

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
I think both of them was wrong.
I know I would be so mortified if one of my children were to post a list of their parental grievances on their facebook page; but after watching his clever retaliation video, I believe I see exactly where she learned to make a public horse's ass of herself from.
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #44
Dec8rSk8r

Here is an interesting followup link for you Holiday Guy - http://www.litefm.com/pages/news-sto...rticle=9744152

I can relate to this logic - "If I did something embarrassing to my parents in public (such as a grocery store) I got my tail tore up right there in front of God and everyone, right there in the store." but I guess they found out, the audience of the internet is not quite the same as the audience of a store... then again, they don't say they will handle these matters privately from now on either.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #45
395roller89
Thats Mr. Proline to you!

Honestly in my opinion people are really soft these days. I mean who cares if someone calls you names or whatever it may be on the internet get over it its not that big of a deal. I dont think their has been a lot of trash talking on here lately, but what do i know? I dont lurk on here for hours like some do. If i ask a price on something and someone has a problem with it and try's to low ball or argue that its only worth this or that i simply wont reply or say **** off but again i only sell pristine stuff so i dont have that problem to much people usually pay what i ask or close to it. I dont try to rip people off i ask fair prices, Cam
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #46
the california kid

Default This is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Yeah, there’s been some extra nastiness in the quad section lately. FEF must be on vacation too, because there are no bunny pictures to help filter out the bad vibes we get from reading some of these threads. I bet the forum admins are to the point of where Abby Lee was with her group of moms on Dance Moms earlier in the week; she was like – “If I have to lose one of you to make this a more cohesive group, I will.” I could understand that logic.

I also think if people are guilty of slinging mud right back and taking random potshots at the other person in unrelated threads, they should lose their right to run and tattle, because it seems to me that they kinda missed out on their chance to take the high road.

I think it would be nice if when you ignored someone, it automatically made it so that neither of you could see each others posts. I realize there are holes in that logic because if you are not logged in, you could see their posts anyway. Not everyone “gets” or appreciates everyone else here. Not by a long shot.

On the the Ebay listings, usually if we know it's another loggers listing, we have enough manners not to comment on the price.

I don't think we should ever say something negative on someone else's For Sale add on the forum, you know for a fact that's a forum members listing and that they, along with everyone else, are reading your mean comments. If you don't like their item, or think it's worth the asking price, I think we should just go on about our own business and let them handle theirs.

I guess about all we can do is try to post positive stuff as much as possible, and try not to fuel the flame wars, which is sometimes easier said than done.
I agree with him or her this is a great post and most understand my meaning. Thanks
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #47
okie

Thumbs up Hello there California KID!!!! Tucson,AZ

How are you doing down there?

You skating the Thursday Night Adult night??????

Having any FUN> ???? Hope SO.

Anyway go mark your calender. March 10. 9 to 12. Saturday night.

I am doing a skate night so some out of town skaters can make the drive. Most can't take off work to attend the Monday night.

Just about ever skater from here you met when we attended the VANILLA JAM SKATE there at your rink,say they will be atttending.

Better YET Since your a old timey REAL California skater. I am puting something together for you and others to skate and say OH NO!!!!????

Ain't progress grand.???????

" Loose Balls" with urethane wheels on a modern skate plate and speed boot. Whats that noise?

I will send some flyers to your rink advertizing the skate night. Start trying to gather some car poolers for the trip down and back.

The weather is nuts this year here> Whats July going to be like????
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #48
scrapdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
How are you doing down there?

You skating the Thursday Night Adult night??????

Having any FUN> ???? Hope SO.

Anyway go mark your calender. March 10. 9 to 12. Saturday night.

I am doing a skate night so some out of town skaters can make the drive. Most can't take off work to attend the Monday night.

Just about ever skater from here you met when we attended the VANILLA JAM SKATE there at your rink,say they will be atttending.

Better YET Since your a old timey REAL California skater. I am puting something together for you and others to skate and say OH NO!!!!????

Ain't progress grand.???????

" Loose Balls" with urethane wheels on a modern skate plate and speed boot. Whats that noise?

I will send some flyers to your rink advertizing the skate night. Start trying to gather some car poolers for the trip down and back.

The weather is nuts this year here> Whats July going to be like????
okie
I have some interceptors with loose ball cups in them on a pair of shuffle skates, and yeah, people always look becouse of the noise, running loose ball, i know not alot of skaters in the rinks are doin it, i got a whole box of ball cups, want some?
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #49
okie

Exclamation I have a little expierance with them.

But many of todays skaters here do not, Arizona Adult nights Some ask. Kinda neat to be able to see how far we have come and where were going.
okie

okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #50
Christopher-T
Quad Skater

Default heres my thoughts on this..

I've often wondered if the loggers who are always smarting off,running their mouth, starting drama and just plain trouble making do this in real life? do they sit around at the rink fussing,fighting and having pissing contests? lmao

I would choose to never talk,meet or skate with some loggers just based on how they compose themselves online in a negative manner. i don't even respond to their posts. lol

most people avoid smart alecs in real life don't they.

I do my best to be the same nice guy on the net as i am in real life. some folks like to put up a serious tough guy/girl front and try hard to come across in a inconsiderate smart a$$, superior way by typing things that seem like a mouth running like a leaky toilet.. but i guarantee that if any of us met those folks at a rink to hang out and skate with, those same folks would be the exact opposite; soft spoken, nice as nice can and would never say the same stuff in person because they know what those actions can lead up too..
it goes back to the golden rule and to never put yourself in a situation you might regret in the future...wait minute, isn't that how adults are supposed to act!?!? that by itself makes me wonder exactly how many real adults are on here because real adults don't compose themselves in a soap opera type fashion. or at least they don't in my neck of the woods.

is the world just getting so cold and bad that our peaceful loving sport of skating is getting infiltrated with folks that are mean as a snake?

The folks i skate with here in Ky and Tn that are skate loggers are the same people online as they are in reality and never have slinged mud,name called or posted sly egotistical smart alec comments..
now there are a few loggers that folks misread because they don't know how to express theirselves correctly online and they get attacked by others but those folks don't mean no harm, and i and others know how to take those loggers but... the troublemakers are plain as day as to what their intentions are and imo those people need to play nice, be considerate or leave the forum.

maybe i have it all wrong because i come from a place where everything is just peachy where it may seem like mayberry but folks around here that i skate with all have integrity and are conscious on what they say because around here saying the wrong thing to someone may not turn out to be so good..
theres always gonna be that .5% of bahama drama mamas and papa's and theres no room for folks like that at the rinks i skate at..

just because someone lives in a different country and we may never actually meet them or skate with 'em or they live 2200 miles and 11 states away doesnt make it okay to be a troublemaker..try to be the same person online as you are in real life, that would cut out alot of b.s.
everybody on this forum needs to be like Fonzi, and everybody knows how Fonzi is..cool.
Christopher-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #51
funkysk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher-T View Post

now there are a few loggers that folks misread because they don't know how to express theirselves correctly online and they get attacked by others but those folks don't mean no harm, and i and others know how to take those loggers but... the troublemakers are plain as day as to what their intentions are and imo those people need to play nice, be considerate or leave the forum.

just because someone lives in a different country and we may never actually meet them or skate with 'em or they live 2200 miles and 11 states away doesnt make it okay to be a troublemaker..try to be the same person online as you are in real life, that would cut out alot of b.s.
everybody on this forum needs to be like Fonzi, and everybody knows how Fonzi is..cool.
+1!
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #52
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
For an unmoderated forum, I think the loggers do a pretty damned good job of not torching the place
This is not an unmoderated forum. Kathie has historically had a gentle hand in keeping things from getting too far off center. 99% of the moderation happens below the waterline. There's no public scolding, no hammers from the sky. Posters are corrected, threads removed or locked as required. No fanfare.

And yes, members do a pretty good job of self-policing. That's what's happening now. It's happened before. Things get all stirred up, and the membership brings itself back into line. Things will quiet down as spring aproaches. Members will get tired of the BS and back away, weather will improve and we'll all get up out of our chairs for a change.

Everybody just take a deep breath or two and it'll be fine.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #53
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
This is not an unmoderated forum. Kathie has historically had a gentle hand in keeping things from getting too far off center. 99% of the moderation happens below the waterline. There's no public scolding, no hammers from the sky. Posters are corrected, threads removed or locked as required. No fanfare.

And yes, members do a pretty good job of self-policing. That's what's happening now. It's happened before. Things get all stirred up, and the membership brings itself back into line. Things will quiet down as spring aproaches. Members will get tired of the BS and back away, weather will improve and we'll all get up out of our chairs for a change.

Everybody just take a deep breath or two and it'll be fine.
I have been on several closed, by invite only forums. Even behind closed doors out of public view, behavior like we see here was not tolerated. People were banned and banned for good.

I have been witness to where unmoderated forums lead to people leaving, not joining or not being involved. Such as the case here. People choose not to post anymore and I know people that won't join because of all the bickering. OR, it gets so bad, legal action is required... forum members and moderators end up on the witness stand. Not good. There has been enough slander / libel on here by a certain member toward members, myself included that legal action could be taken. Yet, nothing is done about it.

Seems like the only time real action is taken is if somebody mentions that one guy that stole everyone pics and used them for his business (not going to mention his name because every time it is, the post or entire thread gets deleted.)

Bottom line is this place needs moderation, every forum does. Allowing the same people to lash out and attack other members over and over again is not cool, not cool at all.

IMO, the quad forum went down the drain due to a lack of moderation. Putting repeat offenders on probation..... yeah, that has not been real effective.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #54
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We have received quite a few complaints this week about the hostile posts of several forum members, including childish name calling (stupid idiot etc). To those who have been making those posts: Don't be surprised if you try to log on and find your SkateLog account has been disabled. And note that once we are forced to go to the extreme of disabling an account, we are not inclined to re-activate it, even if you feel your hostile posts were only responding to someone else's hostile posts.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #55
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We have received quite a few complaints this week about the hostile posts of several forum members, including childish name calling (stupid idiot etc). To those who have been making those posts: Don't be surprised if you try to log on and find your SkateLog account has been disabled. And note that once we are forced to go to the extreme of disabling an account, we are not inclined to re-activate it, even if you feel your hostile posts were only responding to someone else's hostile posts.

- Kathie
Thank you for taking action. I know its not always easy.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #56
scrapdaddy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post

- Kathie
thank you
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #57
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

For the 2 years that I have been here, 1 poster has caused the most problems. Worse, this person has lied and promoted skate modifications that are dangerous. And now, we have some seemingly good newer posters that do not understand the hostility MANY good loggers have for this logger, and it is causing them to express doubt on the merits of the forum. It is justified. And if we did not counter some of his foolish ramblings, noobs could get hurt. Especially since claims are made regarding turning a $40 plate into a hot rod that can outperform a $350 plate. It is fantasy, but could EASILY mislead a person that has yet to learn what makes for good quad performance or does not have a great deal of money.

Dozens upon dozens of good threads have been turned to crap by this person. Outstanding loggers are being DEMONIZED by inexperienced loggers as they go about the job of debunking a nut. And the mods do nothing. My beautiful, VERY SPECIFIC, ON TOPIC thread was trashed by this moron. I complained repeatedly, and got no action. His posts were CLEARLY OFF TOPIC AND NOT WELCOME. And you failed to enforce the rules. YOUR RULES.

This same person came up a year ago. My own opinion was to be lenient. Not that it was my call, but that is how I felt, and that is how it went. 12 months later, with the quad forum in taters, house cleaning needs to be done.

So I am by and large in "I don't give a sh*t" mode. The rules as they exist are not enforced. People of action take action against bad posts/posters. Whiners whine about the people of action. Trolls troll and the place is for sh*t. Hey, don't get me wrong. I can roll with it, whereas many cannot/will not. Like I posted somewhere else. Take the good with the bad and make good posts when you can. And if sh*t gets nasty, well, no one can dish it out or take it as well as me.

It's up to you. The rules are the rules, only they are not. I'll just try and figure out where the invisible lines are, stay inside them, and help folks out when I can.

You do realize some of the BEST people are saying F it and leaving, right?
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #58
scrapdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
For the 2 years that I have been here, 1 poster has caused the most problems. Worse, this person has lied and promoted skate modifications that are dangerous. And now, we have some seemingly good newer posters that do not understand the hostility MANY good loggers have for this logger, and it is causing them to express doubt on the merits of the forum. It is justified. And if we did not counter some of his foolish ramblings, noobs could get hurt. Especially since claims are made regarding turning a $40 plate into a hot rod that can outperform a $350 plate. It is fantasy, but could EASILY mislead a person that has yet to learn what makes for good quad performance or does not have a great deal of money.

Dozens upon dozens of good threads have been turned to crap by this person. Outstanding loggers are being DEMONIZED by inexperienced loggers as they go about the job of debunking a nut. And the mods do nothing. My beautiful, VERY SPECIFIC, ON TOPIC thread was trashed by this moron. I complained repeatedly, and got no action. His posts were CLEARLY OFF TOPIC AND NOT WELCOME. And you failed to enforce the rules. YOUR RULES.

This same person came up a year ago. My own opinion was to be lenient. Not that it was my call, but that is how I felt, and that is how it went. 12 months later, with the quad forum in taters, house cleaning needs to be done.

So I am by and large in "I don't give a sh*t" mode. The rules as they exist are not enforced. People of action take action against bad posts/posters. Whiners whine about the people of action. Trolls troll and the place is for sh*t. Hey, don't get me wrong. I can roll with it, whereas many cannot/will not. Like I posted somewhere else. Take the good with the bad and make good posts when you can. And if sh*t gets nasty, well, no one can dish it out or take it as well as me.

It's up to you. The rules are the rules, only they are not. I'll just try and figure out where the invisible lines are, stay inside them, and help folks out when I can.

You do realize some of the BEST people are saying F it and leaving, right?
i plan on politely riding the heck out of him, ive come around, i see whats going on, i got my plan.....and seds, but i got a plan, and need a 12 step program.....lol....
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #59
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
i plan on politely riding the heck out of him, ive come around, i see whats going on, i got my plan.....and seds, but i got a plan, and need a 12 step program.....lol....
The folks that have been around a while know what is going on. But some of the folks that have been around only a few months are kind of shocked on the us vs him, and some old timers are just plain sick of it. So more bad vibes all around thanks to.....
Old February 16th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #60
Stormi
Join the Quad Squad!

I moderate a forum (drumming), and we have a three strikes and you're out system. The offender gets notified by PM that they have had an official warning. The mods work hard to keep the forum a nice place. We never name and shame, and we also never discuss why a member has been banned (although most of the time it's pretty obvious). The drummers all have their favourite equipment, favourite set-ups, favourite musical style etc. there are always disagreements and debates, but they are always within the guidelines. A lot of the members on that forum are teens and young adults. Then you come here, where its a predominantly more "mature" age group, and they carry on like you'd expect teenagers to.
The probation is fine...but really, repeat offenders need the bad hammer.