S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #1
quadbob

Default where's all the xl plates

heres one for you! where did all the old XL speed plates go. i see sst's, and sl's i see xk4's and lasers. i see black diamonds and satelites. i see ultimate 2's, 3's, iv's, and even dominators. i see prolines and even some italian stuff.
but not one stinking XL witch was probably the most dominate plate of the 70's and early 80's. where did they all go. and ultimate 1's are rare as hell also but you still see one once in a while. what did someone buy all 20 million sets of them for there collection or something. you even still see a 295 every once in a while. but never an XL. you even see wood wheels, and german bearings but know XL'S. even doc said he has never even seen one, whats up!
WHERE DID THEY ALL GO TO!
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

What does it look like... do you have a pic of it? I'm not sure I've seen that one either. I do have an Ultimate 1 though.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #3
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

I have an SL plate
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #4
quadbob

Default XL'S

see what i mean you guys have a million plates and know xl's. they look just like an ultimate 1 or better yet an sst with a shorter toe stop mount and the king pins and pivot holes were straight. un like those crooked a$$ sst's. thats what i find so funny! they only made sst's and sl's for a couple of years and you guys have them. they also have xl in the die casting like the sst's do. the ultimate 1 was an xl copy so were the sst's and they sl's. my trouble with the sst's were most of them were miss drilled the trucks were not in line and even sometimes the pivots holes were off. plus they lenghtened the toe stop out farther away from the truck so your wheels wouldn't hit. this was a problem when we went from woods wheels to plastic wheels. and then they went to a 62mm wheel and the hole geometry was wacky.
what size is your ultimate 1.lol
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #5
xlracer

Hey Bob....I bet you will never guess what I have.
I found it on ebay several months ago. I paid a wopping $25 for it because no one else even bid.
If you want pics let me know. I can bring it to Mr. B's meet.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #6
quadbob

Default xl's

just don't tell me it's a size 7. and yeah if you don't mind some pics would be great these poor folks don't even know what the best speed plate ever made looks like!
i figured you had one you butt head, but it's kinda unbelievable that know one has one! you know, hell everyone skated on them.
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #7
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

lol.. what do ya wannt bet it is a sz 7.. LOL
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #8
quadbob

Default xl's

that would suck, and he has all the splitwoods to. damn it! know the new wheels rubb on the xl plates but i just would love to even see one again. a real one! someone should build a new one thats higher to accomadate the bigger wheels (tracy) then there be an speed plate from hell again, know more d/a sissy stuff just meat and potatoes baby! a genuine old school ass kicker, yehaw! know more chrome shiny blue and red goofy crap! lol.
just joking people, don't get cranky!
Old March 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #9
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

LOL check this out bob!!

http://www.speedskating.com/bb3/view...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #10
fpinto

Default Bob

Maybe you should ask Tony Kissing to talk to Tim Small, everyone in his club skated on em...in fact Marcia Yeager and everyone on Tony's team skated on em...they gotta know someone with an extra pair, someone who is not in skating anymore and never reads these posts...shot me but i threw a pair of sixe 7's away two years ago, when i moved...been carrying em around since 1975 {last year racing} finally said what am i going to do with these,also got rid of a pair of single actions snyder's i used for figures, and i bunch of missed matched wheels from 1975 regionals in texas..c and l, rolla, jim cooks, ithink there was even and old dexter in there..who knew?????
fpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

is this the mystery plate?

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #12
gospeedracer

Where do you think Mike V got his idea for the original Ultimates?? Hmmmmm
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

LOL yeah to admit my stupidity here... I had that pair of plates thrown in a box with some SSTs for years because I hadn't ever looked at them closely enough to realize they weren't the same...
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #14
xlracer

Hey Rebecca has Bob already offered you a price for that XL.
Bob Tony does have a bunch. Every year he bought Kathy a new one and a Oberhamer 61. He has about six pair of skates and Kathy skates on one today. Kathy's daughter is skating on one of her first pair of xl/oberhamer skates. Tony says is a pair that Kathy won Nationals on.
Everybody that skated for Bob Renner at skating clubs of GA had XL's man. I cant believe you cant find one there in Atlanta some where. Call Bob over at southeastern skate supply. He told me that they still have reunions all the time. Ask Jeff Couey he should know somebody. Who knows maybe you will find a secret cache in his store room.
I will bring them to the tax relief meet, with the splitwoods on them.
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #15
quadbob

Default aint they sweet

rebeca thats the prettyest thing i've seen in years. so did you look at them and your sst's close. did notice any differances. the xl's are great plates, the sst was ok if you were lucky enough to get a good one. i see thats a size 6 oh well! i don't really want one. unless someone has a 7 and thats just because it's the first plate i went to nationals on in junior men. man they skated so sweet, not all goofy like the newer junk does.
hey tracy, wasn't the guy who made sst's also in colorado ? and there was a guy out there that made another copy plate. but it had bridging in the middle between the trucks. i can't remember the name of it though. i wonder if the sst guy didn't melt down xl's and use the aluminium for the sst's ? because there should be an xl in almost every skaters house. like i said everyone had one. they were as bad as labeda's are now, everywhere!
thanks rebeca, the picture was great. and tony if you have a 7 i'd be interested for old time sake.
XL'S they were almost better than sex! but not quite,lol
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #16
xlracer

From what I know, the same guy made all of them. They all came out of Colorado. YES the ultimate was Mike V's answer to the XL. I am not sure if the maker passed away or like Mike, he simply just stopped making the plates.
Sure would love to get my hands on those original molds.
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #17
fpinto

Default xl maker

Bill Norgerg, from Denver made the XL...he also skated Esquire dance out our club, Warnoco, in Greeley, Co for Jay Norcross...i was friends with Bill and as far as i know he had nothing to do any other plates...judging from the quality of the SST i am sure Bill had nothing to do with it...the ultimate was wonderful plate and it looked like copy of the XL but the XL was made for wood wheels and you couldn't run the larger platics on them, Bill was long out of the business when we switched from woods, Mike V did a wonderful job with ultimate
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #18
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Guess I will have to dig up the trucks that came off of those and test them out a little, I've never used them.
Main thing I see different between those and the SSTs is the toe stop mount. And if I find a size 7 anywhere, I'll know what to do with it!
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #19
fpinto

Default also

Yes, Bill Norberg passed away, I do not recall when but it was quite some time ago...Bill had a daughter who would be about 55 now, I do not believe bill had stock left when died...he was out of the business for a long time
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #20
fpinto

Default quadbob

You skated for Bill Lehman, well when Bill Norberg was developing the XL in the 60's many speed skaters in Denver where testing em, bill may know something about that
Another guy who might know something is Rick Porter, he was in Denver and probably tested many of these plates...later Rick owned a rink in Cheyenne, wy with good speed club and i believe he had something to do the world team at one point
if it is real important i could do some checking for you , let me know