S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM   #61
Npawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
A friend of mine can't quit talking about "royal Purple", but I have yet to try it myself. ---anybody?
Same as mobil 1 that armadillo reccomended.. onnnlyy like 5x more expensive.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM   #62
panch0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
panch0,

When you say "just as good or better than any high quality synthetic oil" , this is a broad generalization. There are a lot of categories of GOOD for skate bearings. Good for keeping DIRT OUT of the bearing contact zone? Good for protecting from water damage? Good for keeping wear at a minimum? Good for lasting longer between cleanings and relubes? ...

If you are skating 100 miles a week, you would certainly be a good candidate for testing different lube items. I suggets you try NanoLube, and when I run out of mine, I just may test some Pedro's Grease too.
-Armadillo
Good in all categories you just mentioned!

For me there is only one category: bearing friction.

I don't think that a lube "keeps water/dirt out"... if the water/dirt gets in... that's it! It's in! No matter how good your lube is, you are going to soon be due for a complete makeover!

Now a lube can be water/dirt tolerant but you'll surely have to makeover soon after a run in!

My pint about Pedro's Grease is that many feel that grease is too thick for bearings but the little dab I describe is "just as good or better" than any oil anyone of us use.

Having said that... I'd love to use some NanoLube... sounds kinda' kinky but heck... I'll try it!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM   #63
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Crisco
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:40 AM   #64
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Using any oil thin enough to come out of your bearings is not a very good idea, even using just one drop per bearing is too much since you will see at least half of that one drop come back out and collect dirt, that dirt will easily find its way into your bearings and damage them.

The thinest product I use is Finish Line Racing-Gel.
I also use Klüber Isoflex grease in exactly the same way Pancho uses Pedro's grease, just a little dab per bearing. Just needs a short skate to spread enough not to cause any extra resistance (compared to oil).
No dirt collecting spills on the outside, longer lasting bearings, longer service intervals, quieter running and just as fast as any oil. I don't see any good reason for using oil...

The NanoLube is an interesting find, this stuff could actually work, please let us know how it works out in the long run.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM   #65
Armadillo

Default Here is a good reason to use oil - better recirculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazer View Post
Using any oil thin enough to come out of your bearings is not a very good idea, even using just one drop per bearing is too much since you will see at least half of that one drop come back out and collect dirt, that dirt will easily find its way into your bearings and damage them.

I also use Klüber Isoflex grease in exactly the same way Pancho uses Pedro's grease, just a little dab per bearing. Just needs a short skate to spread enough not to cause any extra resistance (compared to oil).
No dirt collecting spills on the outside, longer lasting bearings, longer service intervals, quieter running and just as fast as any oil. I don't see any good reason for using oil...

The NanoLube is an interesting find, this stuff could actually work, please let us know how it works out in the long run.

Cheers,
Andy.
The grease type lubes have one main drawback - over time they tend to be DRIVEN AWAY from the zone where they are MOST NEEDED => the high pressure ball-to-race contact zone. Then, because they are thick, they stick on to surfaces where they get pushed by the balls and don't flow back to the bottom of the race groove.

The key to maximizing lube benefits is to keep the lube IN THE CENTER OF THE GROOVE! For this reason, I highly recommend ALWAYS KEEP YOUR SKATES VERTICAL. With the thin synthetic oil that I prefer (because of higher film strength and lower viscosity), the thinness advantage is that gravity keeps it flowing back to the bottom of the groove where it's needed. But the disadvantage is that, being thin, it will just as easily flow right out of the bearing along the axle, if the skates are left on their sides.

So, if you you don't want the burden of having to always keep your axles horizontal, use grease, paste or the other more thick types of lube.
I'm sticking with the very thin oil based NanoLube. Over time, the oil portion of Nanolube may disappear, but the diamond nanoparticles are supposed to remain it the high pressure contact zone. The results I've had so far confitm this theory.
-Armadillo
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #66
panch0

Quote:
The grease type lubes have one main drawback - over time they tend to be DRIVEN AWAY from the zone where they are MOST NEEDED

yeah but the races are still "greased up" !! In addition, you have to remember that all we are talking about is one tiny dab of grease! By the time it spreads on the races, you have but a thin film of grease on the races!

Just in case you guys don't know Greazer... he probably knows more about bearings and lubes more than all of us combined!

Another thing I typically mention is that it does not matter how well lubed anyone's bearings are... they are not going to make any one any faster!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM   #67
Michael

Quote:

That´s it.
I used a set of bearing with grease for 2 years without any problems and
very long service intervals.
Then I replaced the grease with WD40. After 3 months the bearings were
starting to corrode.
Now I use high-Speed synthetic grease from LTM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #68
Armadillo

Default Synthetic Grease is good -high film strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That´s it.
starting to corrode.
If you prefer grease to oil, the synthetic types are best for their higher film strengths for sure.

NanoLube is like a combination of synthetic oil and synthetic NanoDiamond SUPER grease mixed together.

-Armadillo
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #69
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo
The grease type lubes have one main drawback - over time they tend to be DRIVEN AWAY from the zone where they are MOST NEEDED => the high pressure ball-to-race contact zone.
If the above were true "we grease users" wouldn't have longer lasting bearings, longer service intervals and quieter running, but we do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0
Just in case you guys don't know Greazer... he probably knows more about bearings and lubes more than all of us combined!

Another thing I typically mention is that it does not matter how well lubed anyone's bearings are... they are not going to make any one any faster!
I do know a little bit about these steel/ceramic things we all roll on. I wouldn't go as far as to say more than all SkateLog Forum users combined...
I agree 100% on bearings not making skaters faster.
Very bad quality bearings, or ones that are packed full of grease, can make you slower.
Any set of good quality, properly lubed bearings (and there are loads... from Bones Reds, ILQ-9 and all the Swiss up to hybrid silicone nitride ceramic) is fine, some will just last a bit longer than others and/or need less servicing. Buying a set of $620 full silicon nitride ceramics is not going to make you any faster... But it does come in real handy if you skate a lot in the rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
starting to corrode.
WD40 is BAD!!! The only thing it should be used for is to get rid of water in your bearings.
Synthetic grease is good, usually better than non synthetic greases made for the same kind of use.
Next on my "will try as a skate bearing lube" list is a synthetic grease with teflon, surprisingly not very easy to get hold of where I live btw.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #70
Michael

Default Teflon grease

Quote:
Next on my "will try as a skate bearing lube" list is a synthetic grease with teflon, surprisingly not very easy to get hold of where I live btw.
Cheers,
Andy.

Maybe try teflon grease from powerslide:
http://www.nordicskates.de/product_i...id=337&refID=1
Teflon grease is also sold in bike shops.

Michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #71
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Exactly my point...
I have a well known racing bike shop close to where I live, but last time I checked they didn't have any synthetic grease with teflon.
There are not a lot of skateshops around here, and the ones that are close don't have the Powerslide (it's actually Super Lube in Powerslide packaging) grease.

I'll order a bigger tube (85 grams) of Super Lube teflon grease online, since it's just about the same price of the 12 grams Powerslide version that i can also only get online anyway.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #72
chacata
Skinsuited at last

Loctite Superlub, although may appear a WD40 similar, it isn't. This stuff is like magic. I clean the bearings with whataver solvent i have on hand at the moment and let them dry, then i put them all together and spray a quick burst over the bearings and that's it. This stuff REPELS water and dirt and makes the bearings ultra smooth. Also it has an F1 car pictured in the can so it's guaranteed that bearings are gonna catch some F1 properties
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #73
Npawn

How in the heck do you get grease inside of a bones swiss bearing that is shielded on one side and then just like a retainer on the other? The retainer is large enough that I wouldnt imagine you could fit any amount of grease into it? Oil goes in fine, though.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #74
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

If they are like this (and I guess they are...):

You can take the shield off with a pin or a very small and pointy knife, like this:

Only if your bearings are already clean and dry! :
You can put a little bit of grease on the balls and/or put a bit in the left over space inbetween the balls on the retainer (just make sure there is always a little bit of grease on at least one of the balls), looks like this:

Now pop the seal back on and go skate!

I sure hope its not another type of seal/shield...
If so, there is always a way to get grease in!
Just have to find/make pics of it all over again.

Cheers,
Andy.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #75
Npawn

Quote:
Exactly my point...
I have a well known racing bike shop close to where I live, but last time I checked they didn't have any synthetic grease with teflon.
There are not a lot of skateshops around here, and the ones that are close don't have the Powerslide (it's actually Super Lube in Powerslide packaging) grease.

I'll order a bigger tube (85 grams) of Super Lube teflon grease online, since it's just about the same price of the 12 grams Powerslide version that i can also only get online anyway.

Cheers,
Andy.

Where are you ordering from? and what is the product number for the stuff you use from SuperLube? I want to give this stuff a try.

Last edited by Npawn; October 30th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #76
greazer
Forget oil... Grease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
Where are you ordering from? and what is the product number for the stuff you use from SuperLube? I want to give this stuff a try.
I'm ordering from an online store here in The Netherlands, in the US you should be able to order direct from their website.

Link
>> SYNTHETIC GREASE >> Super Lube Grease - 3 oz. Tube
product number is 21030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacata View Post
Loctite Superlub, although may appear a WD40 similar, it isn't. This stuff is like magic. I clean the bearings with whataver solvent i have on hand at the moment and let them dry, then i put them all together and spray a quick burst over the bearings and that's it. This stuff REPELS water and dirt and makes the bearings ultra smooth. Also it has an F1 car pictured in the can so it's guaranteed that bearings are gonna catch some F1 properties
Just found out that Loctite Superlub is actually the same product as the Super Lube Aerosol from the website I linked in this post. That means chacata is using the same synthetic teflon grease (looks different because it is temporarily thinned with a solvent) without even knowing it!

Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited by greazer; October 31st, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
greazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:15 AM   #77
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
How in the heck do you get grease inside of a bones swiss bearing that is shielded on one side and then just like a retainer on the other? The retainer is large enough that I wouldnt imagine you could fit any amount of grease into it? Oil goes in fine, though.
Get a medical syringe, but not with the needle. Fill it with the grease of your choice. now you can squeez e force it into the bearings through the nylon retainer side. I did this last year before a wet skate.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #78
rollingfeet

i normally clean w/ gas (sorry tree huggers), have used mineral spirits works great too.
i use a rust inhibiting penetrating lubricant. a small dot of motor oil will help to keep the stuff from running out of the bearing and the lube lasts longer. thicker oil also holds grit and sand so use very little, cut it with the penetrant... smoooth.
rollingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #79
rollingfeet

Quote:
OK, I have been running my new Bones Swiss bearings in my avatar PIC skates for 2+ months. Outdoor only, Chicago lakefront path.
Asphalt, concrete, rough, smooth -- SANDY from wind blown sand too!

After 150-200 miles, with ONLY 2 drops of NANOLUBE, wheels continue to improve. Tonight I tried just blowing air with my mouth on the outside of my wheels (not the hub spokes) and they start to spin. No cleaning has been done to them. Only wipe away the sandy grunge that accumulates inside the hubs. I will be installing spacers soon, to see if they improve, maintain, or get worse. Trust me, this stuff is good and well worth the premium price too!
Using the NDN30-ATM+P formula from a small squeeze bottle with syringe tip.
-Armadillo
hello armadillo,
i have read a handful of your posts and others in this thread regarding nanolube. it sounds like it's good stuff. i skate about 250 to 350 miles a month on the streets and have never had a cleaning/lubing last with the kind of flying color results you have been describing. i have cleaned with gasoline (with and w/o two stroke oil). i have also used mineral spirits as cleaner. as far as lubes, i've tried bsb bearing lube (like it), penetrating oil (no feelings one way or the other), i've mixed the bsb and penetrant (seemed alright to me although i was later advised not to mix lubricants). i have also tried using 10w-30 (not sure i liked it). i should mention that i am using hto pro bearings 608 (stock w/ rollerblade racemachines) and dirt/grit/sand conditions on the roads i skate is actually pretty good i would say. i choose my route according to asphalt quality and traffic conditions primarily. my test for time to clean/lube is free spin time and noise. i like to clean every two weeks at the most, every 100 miles is my fav. i figure if i have to rotate my wheels, why not take the extra half hour or forty minutes and hook everything up right?... right? btw, one thing i don't understand... why does your bearing performance keep improving up to 200 miles after lubing? why doesn't the lube just distribute throughout the bearing after say a few minutes of skating and then just perform at it's max? why the continued improvement? was performance not that good at the beginning? that stuff sounds like steroid lube... when its performance should be declining it is actually improving. maybe roger clemmons oiled his glove with it. haha. thank you for all of your input, you are obviously very knowledgeable on this subject.
rollingfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #80
Big Mike
Velocity Lover

Some lubricants actually chemically treat bearings, like Prolong Engine Treatment, which is what I use. I put some good ol' moly grease once and use just Prolong after that. Seems to keep everything smooth and makes a noticable difference in how much energy it takes to get things going.

Tends to leak out first couple of times with 3 drops each bearing (for dissolving the grease) then stops after 3-4 times when you go down to 1-2 drops each. My father had a set that sat for 2 years and stayed lubed.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote