S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 19th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #81
samurainoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TermV View Post
As far as I know I'm the only skatelogger on Furious. If you asked one of us about sk8crazy then we probably would have looked at you as if you were a little crazy yourself. We were an all-Ottawa team.
Actually, there were five Toronto-Inline Skaters that snuck into various Teams that were set up in the Ottawa Inline Paddock, but I'm pretty sure none of us were on Furious. If you had asked me, I would have known who sk8crazy was, although to me sk8crazy is kind of a two-headed online presence sharing the characteristics of both Joel and Christine.

I really wish I had a chance to skate a lap with Joel and chat more with Christine. It really felt like when I wasn't skating, I was standing out by the track with a stopwatch keeping lap times, foraging for food to refuel myself, cleaning bearings or trying to get a quick nap in. It would have been nice to have more laid back social time. Hopefully I'll see the Joel/Christine sk8crazy gestalt entity if I can drag myself out of bed for the TBN Marathon out in Hamilton Beach this weekend (my buddy's stag will be the night before).

Last edited by samurainoir; July 20th, 2007 at 05:53 AM.
samurainoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #82
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
He didn't this time, but last year he was trying. After last year's A2A he mentioned Defi would be his last event before retiring from racing and wanted me to give it a try. I thought he was crazy, but I see he couldn't give up the skating! I'll look if I can make it, but my boss at work already complains at how often I'm gone skating. He wants me to get married, settle down, and stop skating. We recently had some lay-offs. Is it wrong that I was dreaming about how much skating I could do if I was on unemployment?
Being married doesn't necessarily mean settling down especially if your wife skates as well. That just doubles the cost because you both want to do the events. We have 3 left this year -- Duluth, New York and the Defi. Don't know about A2A yet. His decision if he wants to go.
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #83
sk8crazy

[QUOTE=samurainoir;54893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TermV View Post

If you had asked me, I would have known who sk8crazy was, although to me sk8crazy is kind of a two-headed online presence sharing the characteristics of both Joel and Christine.

I really wish I had a chance to skate a lap with Joel and chat more with Christine. It really felt like when I wasn't skating, I was standing out by the track with a stopwatch keeping lap times, foraging for food to refuel myself, cleaning bearings or trying to get a quick nap in. It would have been nice to have more laid back social time. Hopefully I'll see the Joel/Christine sk8crazy gestalt entity if I can drag myself out of bed for the TBN Marathon out in Hamilton Beach this weekend (my buddy's stag will be the night before).
Two headed, hmmm --- well it sort of makes sense. You're right about the social time...we hardly had any time as well. Barely had a chance to visit with everyone (briefly talked with you, Morgan, Randy & some of the T-Rec's) Next year if we can get our act together we should plan one big dinner afterwards. But, they gotta serve their meals on trashcan lids!!

Probably won't make the Hamilton Beach this weekend -- family stuff. But, are thinking about planning the "Ikea Breakfast Skate" soon. Once we figure out when, we'll send out an email.

C
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #84
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
No question about it.
Do you know who I met and skated most of A2A '98 with? Eric Gee.
I kinda doubt he remembers me, but I have a really cool pic of us at the halfway point.
Post the pic and I'll let Eric know its here.

C
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #85
Intrepid

Default 3:48am Sunday Morning

This picture of Don was taken at 3:48am on Sunday morning as he waited with the SQ team for his SL teammate to skate into the handoff area. This picture captures a lot of what the Montreal race is all about - we are 15 hours into the event, it had been pouring down rain for most of the night, its freakin 3:48am, its pitch dark - but Don has a huge smile and is ready to go for another lap at full speed. As MC said in his post, if you are into speed skating, you have to do Montreal at least once.

Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #86
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
This picture of Don was taken at 3:48am on Sunday morning as he waited with the SQ team for his SL teammate to skate into the handoff area. This picture captures a lot of what the Montreal race is all about - we are 15 hours into the event, it had been pouring down rain for most of the night, its freakin 3:48am, its pitch dark - but Don has a huge smile and is ready to go for another lap at full speed. As MC said in his post, if you are into speed skating, you have to do Montreal at least once.
Thanks, I smiled a lot too, but I have to give credit to Brian for the smile in that particular picture. And yes, you have to do the race at least once. And then, once you've done it, you will vow to do it again. I wish it wasn't a whole year before the race came around again.

Happy Trails,

Don
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #87
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPatton View Post
Thanks, I smiled a lot too, but I have to give credit to Brian for the smile in that particular picture. And yes, you have to do the race at least once. And then, once you've done it, you will vow to do it again. I wish it wasn't a whole year before the race came around again.

Happy Trails,

Don
ACK! Don .... backspace, backspace, Brian .... it was dark and very early in the morning
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #88
MN_Mike

Quote:
There's always someone your pace to skate with at A2A. My sister (blue blouse in the cowbell pic above) has only done one skate race and that was last year's 87 mile A2A. She actually took her time to skate with skater's she met during the weekend. A2A has always been my favorite event, though Montreal's team aspect probably is my new favorite. You can have the floor in our Athens room for Friday and Saturday nights if you decide to give A2A a shot this year.
The peer pressure is getting to me guys. I've been on A2As site and just checked airline tickets which were surprisingly only $250 from Saint Paul.
I'm going to have to consider this. The only question is, can I train for 87 miles in 3 months?

I know there are shorter distances, but I'm either gonna go big or go home.
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #89
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
The only question is, can I train for 87 miles in 3 months?
Yes. Speedy can help you with the particulars, but you can do this, no doubt about it.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #90
gopherfan

I like how I have the shirt on backwards, on purpose, of course It's just like having a clean jersey!

I don't post enough so no one knew who I was based on my skatelog presence. Hopefully I'll be remembered for my skating.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #91
samurainoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Being married doesn't necessarily mean settling down especially if your wife skates as well. That just doubles the cost because you both want to do the events. We have 3 left this year -- Duluth, New York and the Defi. Don't know about A2A yet. His decision if he wants to go.
Jen and I have discovered the flip side of that since we've been cross training in each other's respective sports for a few years now. It got to the point last year where it was just too physically grueling to be on the road every single weekend and for me to be doing her running/tri events in between inline events, and vice versa. Since I made it back alive from A2A all by my lonesome last year, we thought we'd give it a go attending/participating less of each others events to give our bodies a break and at least have a few weekends to relax.

Of course you made A2A easy by handling the logistics of accomodations for Joel and I! All I had to do was show up at the front desk and eat breakfast in the morning. Joel was a pretty excellent room-mate. The rest of the time I just followed Richard on and off of buses and airplanes.

I'm still trying to decide about New York, but I'm in for The Defi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Two headed, hmmm --- well it sort of makes sense. You're right about the social time...we hardly had any time as well. Barely had a chance to visit with everyone (briefly talked with you, Morgan, Randy & some of the T-Rec's) Next year if we can get our act together we should plan one big dinner afterwards. But, they gotta serve their meals on trashcan lids!!

Probably won't make the Hamilton Beach this weekend -- family stuff. But, are thinking about planning the "Ikea Breakfast Skate" soon. Once we figure out when, we'll send out an email.

C
How about we plan for some Montreal Smoked Meat and Poutine next year? By the time we got to Schwartz's (after napping in the Paddock), it was dinner time and they were lined up down the street. So we settled on St Hubert on the road instead.

LOVE the Ikea Breakfast Skate!
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #92
MN_Mike

Quote:

I don't post enough so no one knew who I was based on my skatelog presence. Hopefully I'll be remembered for my skating.
Who can forget the 8:20 lap on Sunday morning.
You and Jessica rocked it after the 20 hour mark!
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #93
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Who can forget the 8:20 lap on Sunday morning.
You and Jessica rocked it after the 20 hour mark!
Brian was just a machine for the whole event.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #94
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Check out the gallery on the 24 hour site, http://www.24inline.ca/gallery.php we made a paceline picture. (it's a slide show)
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #95
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

So, who's doing the North Shore Marathon?

I just found out that my wife is going to be out in Minneapolis the week after, so her company would be paying her airfare.

Minneapolis is only 2.5 hours away from Duluth. I think I might be able to figure something out.
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #96
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post

I just found out that my wife is going to be out in Minneapolis the week after, so her company would be paying her airfare.

Minneapolis is only 2.5 hours away from Duluth. I think I might be able to figure something out.
Already signed up, got the hotel room and are booking the flight today from Toronto. This will be our 6th year!

C
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #97
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurainoir View Post

The awesomely speedy Flying Fossils came in second and took the silver in the Fitness category (behind my team, Ottawa Inline’s Rabid Lap Dogs) and an incredible fifth placement overall amongst the 76 teams participating in this event, including the Elites!!!
Totally agree - the Flying Fossils were amazing. The two times I drafted with one I got to exclaim "I flew with a fossil!!!!"

Quote:
The peer pressure is getting to me guys. I've been on A2As site and just checked airline tickets which were surprisingly only $250 from Saint Paul.
I'm going to have to consider this. The only question is, can I train for 87 miles in 3 months?

I know there are shorter distances, but I'm either gonna go big or go home.
Do it!!!!! You won't regret it, I promise. You're already in great shape - you just need to start practicing your climbs and descents and you'll be just fine. See you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post

I'll be there
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #98
samurainoir

Here's a question:

I noticed that there were Four teams registered in the Elite category, but only three were competing last weekend. What became of that fourth team (NoLogo from Montreal)?
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #99
samurainoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Totally agree - the Flying Fossils were amazing. The two times I drafted with one I got to exclaim "I flew with a fossil!!!!"

Good Work!
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #100
Intrepid

Default Call for SL Montreal Pictures and Video

SL Team - If you took pictures or videos in Montreal I would like to include some of them in the SL DVD production. Most cameras store pictures as .jpg files and I can import that format. For video, I can import .avi, .mpg, .wmv, and .mov. files. I can copy your files off of CDs or DVDs.

Jessica has my mailing address, you can send the discs directly to me. I look forward to seeing all of the pictures and video so that I can start on the SL DVD production.

Howard