S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default Fun NSIM lodging choices?

Wife and I are planning on heading to Duluth a couple days early (or staying a couple days past... maybe BOTH!) and we are wondering about fun yet not-too-spendy places to stay. Other skater friends will come up the night before the race so we should probably select a place convenient for race day.

Anybody got any good suggestions or horror stories to share? I've got a copy of the lodging listing from the NSIM website. Lots to choose from!

Last year we stayed at Voyager Lakewalk Inn. Nice enough for sleep before race and convenient shower after... but nothing super special.
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Using the lodging listing at the NSIM site found several places around Two Harbors. Considering a 2 br cabin about 13 miles beyond Two Harbors.

Anybody know much about cabins BETWEEN Two harbors and Duluth?

I probably let this slip too long... so I'd better lock in a place this weekend.
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I hear the Androy has a creepy decaying moose head in one of their rooms. I personally hope that isn't the room we are in. Its cheap, not far away from what I can tell, and sounds like it has some character.

I am sure I will have more to say about it after we stay there.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
SmileySk8s

I will go back to the Edgewater resort and I'm bringing the kids next time. They would have loved the waterpark.

And it is close to the turn from Lemon Drop hill onto the interstate which would be a good viewing place that is walking distance from the hotel. We had a lakeview room, and from the balcony you could watch the skaters go by. Since the hotel is right next to the interstate, you could hear the traffic, but it was easily dampered with the tv on, and was quiet at night when the roads were clear, and then closed off for the race.

We ate at Black Woods across the street. Very good food (the pork chops were delicious). And a Perkins next door for 24 hr eating.

We found that driving back and forth from the DECC parking lot wasn't a big deal. We paid $5/day and just went in and out. There was ample parking at the hotel and the DECC lots. Sure we weren't right next to all the happenings around "downtown" Duluth, but I don't feel we missed out on anything either by staying in a hotel 3 miles away.

Last edited by SmileySk8s; September 19th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
skategael

thanks for the info - hope to skate it next year, so took notes!
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #6
SmileySk8s

We stayed at the Barker Island Inn in Superior the yr before. It was nothing great. It smelled musty. So unless they changed something, I doubt we would stay there again.

The Suites at the Waterfront right next to the DECC is very convenient but pricey. We stayed in a room there 3 yrs ago and got an inside room. No windows. It was spacious though with a kitchenette. And they require a 2 night minimum.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

We stayed up north of Two Harbors just east of Gooseberrry Falls State Park. Gooseberry Trailside Suites. It is a single rustic 2 story building with four 2br units in it, full kitchen, fireplace, view out over the lake. was nicely kept and comfortable. not luxury but nice. We had an easy hike from our place to the beautiful falls using the natural trail right from the property hooking into the park's trails. The paved Gitchi Gami State Trail runs along 61 and was good for doing some skating. A lot of the trail was paved with that wonderous "smooth as glass" salt & pepper looking pavement. Nice Stuff!!!

If you are looking to do more than just dash in, skate your butt off and dash home... the North Shore is just beautiful this time of year. Thursday, Friday & Saturday were just fabulous days to hike, sightsee, unwind.

For the race it is real easy to park at the Ford dealer at the start and just skate to the staging area.