S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old December 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #221
bjvircks
Major Trouble

JimmyB... I don't recall if it has been mentioned anywhere so far... but do you know weight of the 105 wheel?
Old December 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #222
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
JimmyB... I don't recall if it has been mentioned anywhere so far... but do you know weight of the 105 wheel?
Not sure, they are on the books to be poured in a few weeks, and I don't have any of the test sets to weigh. As soon as I find out, ill let ya know.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #223
Mark1975

Default Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
Quad, if you have any questions, please ask here, I will do everything I can to answer an questions you have. You can order from my website also, (just fyi).

The 89 outdoor is good for slick indoor surfaces, or smooth outdoor/tracks.

the 87 and 85 are for normal outdoor surfaces, depending on the condition of the road...
Jimmy, thinking of picking up a set of the 89 outdoor for indoor practice. I have some issues as a Heavier skater on some wheels, mainly hub flex. Just wondering your thoughts on the new line of wheels. Thanks.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #224
Quadtastic
Quads live!!!

Quote:
Quad, if you have any questions, please ask here, I will do everything I can to answer an questions you have. You can order from my website also, (just fyi).

The 89 outdoor is good for slick indoor surfaces, or smooth outdoor/tracks.

the 87 and 85 are for normal outdoor surfaces, depending on the condition of the road...
Thanks
Quadtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #225
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Mark, I have not heard of anyone at all having trouble with the synergy core flexing when skating. The red core is just a bit oversized, and has been beefed up to avoid flex.

IMO, I don't think you would have any problems with them. I will ask TLTF about it, just to be sure though.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #226
Mark1975

Quote:
Mark, I have not heard of anyone at all having trouble with the synergy core flexing when skating. The red core is just a bit oversized, and has been beefed up to avoid flex.

IMO, I don't think you would have any problems with them. I will ask TLTF about it, just to be sure though.
Thanks.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:34 AM   #227
arbingordon

Does anyone have recommendations for (newer) wheels to try?
Currently I skate on 80mm Hyper SGBs indoors, and occasionally on 10mm Atom Burn Black wheels.
Also, does anyone know if SGB wheels are still made by Hyper, or should I buy an extra set before they disappear?
arbingordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #228
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbingordon View Post
Also, does anyone know if SGB wheels are still made by Hyper, or should I buy an extra set before they disappear?
The Hyper name is no more. It is WRW now. As far as I'm aware the only wheel they're currently making is the Truth so if you can find the SGB and like them you better scoop some up.
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #229
arbingordon

Perhaps not the right thread, but...
I'm looking for alternative 80mm wheels for indoors instead of SGBs. I thought they were good initially, but I've gotten to try newer wheels (iQ sub 7 reds, tremendously better grip and roll) and I'm wondering if there's anything about as good for 80mm.
Thanks all
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #230
bubbaskate

80's are going to be hard to find - Period - MIght have better luck simply finding a 165mm 100 mm frame (Im assuming thats the reason for your 80's?? )

You would be better off getting the 100mm Pink WRW indoor wheels, they would behave similar to it

If you have a really crummy floor, maybe even the 89a's if you can get your hands on them

One of the floors I train on is a roller board floor and we are basically down to the paint... Due to a bad coat, but those work fine on them

Also, even though our wood floor for my Own team that I coach is Coated... I live in Missouri.. and the floor is also VERY settled which means all of the cold goes right through it, so during the winter... its never exceptionally tight. I always err on the side of Grip to roll in training. As a power skater I like to know where my feet are.

If your floor is tighter though... the 89a's WILL make you work.

That being said, I like the Orange 89a's ALOT... (they look red.. but whatever) - Plus.. Once the floor stays consistently tighter.. I have an outdoor wheel

At 78 bucks a set, for a banded wheel, you CANT beat it at all
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #231
arbingordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaskate View Post
80's are going to be hard to find - Period - MIght have better luck simply finding a 165mm 100 mm frame (Im assuming thats the reason for your 80's?? )

You would be better off getting the 100mm Pink WRW indoor wheels, they would behave similar to it

If you have a really crummy floor, maybe even the 89a's if you can get your hands on them

One of the floors I train on is a roller board floor and we are basically down to the paint... Due to a bad coat, but those work fine on them

Also, even though our wood floor for my Own team that I coach is Coated... I live in Missouri.. and the floor is also VERY settled which means all of the cold goes right through it, so during the winter... its never exceptionally tight. I always err on the side of Grip to roll in training. As a power skater I like to know where my feet are.

If your floor is tighter though... the 89a's WILL make you work.

That being said, I like the Orange 89a's ALOT... (they look red.. but whatever) - Plus.. Once the floor stays consistently tighter.. I have an outdoor wheel

At 78 bucks a set, for a banded wheel, you CANT beat it at all
Perhaps I'm brainwashed by nett, but I do feel I can handle a 3-4 hour skate a lot better on 5x80 than 4x100. I like both, and I can go a lot faster on 100s, but some days I'd just prefer to skate for a longer period of time (especially on a crowded rink where the 100s wouldn't get to shine).
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #232
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbingordon View Post
Perhaps I'm brainwashed by nett, but I do feel I can handle a 3-4 hour skate a lot better on 5x80 than 4x100. I like both, and I can go a lot faster on 100s, but some days I'd just prefer to skate for a longer period of time (especially on a crowded rink where the 100s wouldn't get to shine).
It is simple math. Being lower to the ground is easier on the ankles and shins thus skating for a longer time will be easier on the lower setup.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #233
EdP

I'm very sorry to post a question about wheels:

Has anyone tried the Atom Boom Outdoors? I've got an opportunity to pick a set up at a workshop in a couple of weeks and I'd love to know how they compare to my Matter F1s for skating marathons.

Also: any firmness recommendations? I'm 60kg - but I've always found that the F1s are just about right.
EdP is offline   Reply With Quote