S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:41 PM   #1
SkateMO

Default 125s?

Has anyone tried the 3x125 setup yet? Thinking about buying a set, and just curious what the feedback is before I do.

Also, does it seem likely that we could see a mix of pro skaters on the 3x125s and 4x110s at world cup events next year?

For instance, when we made the jump from 4x100 to 4x110, almost all of the pro skaters made the jump at the same time (to my knowledge). I'm just curious if we will see a similar situation with the 3x125s. In my honest opinion, nearly ever pro level skater (outdoor) will be on 3x125s two years from now. Since the bigger setup has already generated enough momentum (for people like us to try them), I have to believe there is no turning back now, and eventually, almost everybody will be on the 125s. I'm just wondering if we may find a situation where there is truly such little advantage to the 125s that we will see a mix of elite skaters on both (110s and 125s).
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:59 PM   #2
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
Has anyone tried the 3x125 setup yet? Thinking about buying a set, and just curious what the feedback is before I do.

Also, does it seem likely that we could see a mix of pro skaters on the 3x125s and 4x110s at world cup events next year?

For instance, when we made the jump from 4x100 to 4x110, almost all of the pro skaters made the jump at the same time (to my knowledge). I'm just curious if we will see a similar situation with the 3x125s. In my honest opinion, nearly ever pro level skater (outdoor) will be on 3x125s two years from now. Since the bigger setup has already generated enough momentum (for people like us to try them), I have to believe there is no turning back now, and eventually, almost everybody will be on the 125s. I'm just wondering if we may find a situation where there is truly such little advantage to the 125s that we will see a mix of elite skaters on both (110s and 125s).
Im not sure if they are faster though... im very curious, but I really don't think that they will be the "best" to race on..
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
Im not sure if they are faster though... im very curious, but I really don't think that they will be the "best" to race on..
What's interesting is that I haven't heard anyone really say they are faster (or better) and I haven't really heard anyone say they are slower (or worse). So, because they are "bigger" and look cool, I think you will see more and more people try them and before long, they will become popular. Could be wrong. But, I agree...not sure they provide much advantage over 4x110s (based on the little feedback I've heard).
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #4
bnumerick

Quote:
No on this one. 110's are the max size allowed. Part of the reason they're sending some over here.

I made a comment on Hernan's thread about 125's that they don't really seem to performing well in races so far and Steve Larios responded with "That's what I'm finding, Bill - they are really nice, but I'm not seeing more speed so far."
bnumerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #5
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumerick View Post
No on this one. 110's are the max size allowed. Part of the reason they're sending some over here.

I made a comment on Hernan's thread about 125's that they don't really seem to performing well in races so far and Steve Larios responded with "That's what I'm finding, Bill - they are really nice, but I'm not seeing more speed so far."
I thought FIRS approved them for use???
Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #6
bnumerick

Quote:
I thought FIRS approved them for use???
Last I saw they decided against approving them.

November 30, 2013
"The Fédération Internationale de Roller Sports (FIRS) has discussed permission of speedskates with 125mm wheels during the conference of FIRS and CEC which was held in Madrid (Spain). The executive board acknowledged that a skate with 125mm wheels is too dangerous and therefore will not be allowed in competition. Maximum wheel size remains 110mm."

http://www.online-skating.com/news-1...mm-wheels.html

We don't have any sanctioned races so they can use them here. That is why PS used them in Duluth 2013. They also were used by some PS people in Le Mans 24h this year. I'm not sure if it was their best guys on them or not in Le Mans but the EO team won.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #7
sxevegan

I'll be trying out a set in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what I think.

So far, I've heard that they have a high cruising speed but they may not accelerate as quickly. They skate nice until you hit a slick spot or sand, and then they slide more than 4 wheels skates do. It barely raises the deck height higher than a 4x110 setup, so it shouldn't skate that much different. One less wheel, axel, and spacer plus 2 less bearings makes it a lighter setup overall than 4x110.

I think powerslide is just starting to make good wheels for it. From what I've gathered, the wheels they had at Duluth in 2013 were early prototypes and not great. The most recent batch of wheels is supposed to be nice.

It will be interesting to see if they catch on indoors. In the US, so many skaters focus on indoor. If the size doesn't work indoor, I don't think we will see as many skaters on them outdoor. It's hard to tell.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #8
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxevegan View Post
I'll be trying out a set in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what I think.

So far, I've heard that they have a high cruising speed but they may not accelerate as quickly. They skate nice until you hit a slick spot or sand, and then they slide more than 4 wheels skates do. It barely raises the deck height higher than a 4x110 setup, so it shouldn't skate that much different.
I wouldn't call 10mm "barely" and given that Powerslide is already known for having high deck heights it may be even more than that compared to the 4x110's setups many of us skate on.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #9
wm_b
Upgrade to matching shoes

I skate with a guy that has a 125 setup. He skated NSIM in them and regrets the choice. He has been on them since spring. In his testing (about 8 miles down and up a sloping course) he was always faster on the 125 setup but in a long race the added ankle stress made him feel like his technique fell apart and he was pronating badly.

He thinks the wheels aren't quite right and they wear out too quickly getting a flat spot on the top. He also felt like they would slip a bit more in a sprint. Some of this could be from having only 3 contact points. There's more stress on a relatively smaller area. There could also be a sweet spot that's yet to be found with urethane firmness, core size and profile. If they catch on it will likely spur some development in the wheel biz.

There might be a setting where they are faster or it could be that it will take more time to become technically optimized to use them. Hard to say. When I skate with him and he's on the 125s while I'm on 110s I have to change my technique a little to match his longer strokes. At first it was really awkward but then I actually felt more efficient and relaxed. It was an odd sensation however I can't seem to just skate that way on my own. It was probably all in my head.
wm_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #10
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b View Post
I skate with a guy that has a 125 setup. He skated NSIM in them and regrets the choice. He has been on them since spring. In his testing (about 8 miles down and up a sloping course) he was always faster on the 125 setup but in a long race the added ankle stress made him feel like his technique fell apart and he was pronating badly.
Yeah I mentioned to Sooty from Sk8Skool that I was thinking about throwing them on for a 72 mile charity skate I'm doing in a few weeks and that's essentially what he told me. He didn't recommend skating in them and I didn't get the impression he recommends them at all for distance skating because of the deck height. It surprised me because he had a pretty favorable review of them. Then again he has like a size 16 shoe.
Old September 24th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #11
bnumerick

Quote:
It barely raises the deck height higher than a 4x110 setup, so it shouldn't skate that much different.
4mm that the first Powerslide carbon frame had made a pretty large difference, at least initially, and the 125's put you higher than that. It really took me a few months to get used to it at high speeds.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #12
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b View Post
He thinks the wheels aren't quite right and they wear out too quickly getting a flat spot on the top. He also felt like they would slip a bit more in a sprint. Some of this could be from having only 3 contact points. There's more stress on a relatively smaller area. There could also be a sweet spot that's yet to be found with urethane firmness, core size and profile. If they catch on it will likely spur some development in the wheel biz.
The wheels have a narrower profile & the hub flexes too much.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #13
sxevegan

It doesn't look like 10mm to me.
Old September 24th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #14
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

It looks like (I cant find any hard numbers from powerslide) the deck height is about 115? MOST higher end frames are around 105-107 for a 4x110 setup. so we are looking at about 10mm higher... In some pictures, the 3x125 look even higher than around 115mm deck height..

that 10mm will do a major toll on your ankles after 20, 25, or 42K. what about the NY100K? A2A, 130K?
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #15
ese002

I thought the 10mm measurement was directly from Powerslide but I'm not finding that page on their site. I did find an article on Cado Motus's site that
looks like what I remember
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #16
gneal

I made frames and tested in early '08...yes OVER 6 YEARS AGO...used scooter type wheels...can you say teeter-totter?? Verrry uncomfortable feeling on 3 contact points, and felt like the skates slowed down as soon as I stopped moving my feet...might have been the wheels...might not have been.
gneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #17
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gneal View Post
I made frames and tested in early '08...yes OVER 6 YEARS AGO...used scooter type wheels...can you say teeter-totter?? Verrry uncomfortable feeling on 3 contact points, and felt like the skates slowed down as soon as I stopped moving my feet...might have been the wheels...might not have been.
I did the same thing with 100mm wheels back in 2001. I used a 5-wheel frame to make a 3x100 and it sucked big time. It was slower than 2x80 or 3x80 so it was easy for me to figure out that the wheels themselves were to blame. Granted, 3x100 isn't a good setup today but with today's wheels it is way better than my setup with the scooter wheels.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #18
kufman

Quote:

It doesn't look like 10mm to me.
What is the 4x110 frame that you are using for comparison? If it is anything made by Powerslide it has a higher than needed deck height (especially the carbon frame).
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #19
sxevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
What is the 4x110 frame that you are using for comparison? If it is anything made by Powerslide it has a higher than needed deck height (especially the carbon frame).
I think it is a Simmons frame. The photo came from Dave's facebook page. I'll take some measurements and photos once I get the frames in.
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #20
bnumerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
If it is anything made by Powerslide it has a higher than needed deck height (especially the carbon frame).
They've mostly fixed that issue with the new carbon frame I picked up while in Europe. It's hard to tell exactly just by looking at it since they're on different boots but I recall it being about 1mm higher than my X-Tech frame.