S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 6th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Toe stop keeps comming out

OK , I finally got a pic for you. Not sure if the toe stop falls out when I'm doing a country toe tap or a jump turn. I don't notice it gone until later. Should that set screw be seriously tightened or would a big locking nut be apropriate, or something I don't know about. Also, will tighting the long screw of a stop in to the boot harm the boot?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

First, that item in the stop location in your pic is called a dance plug. It gas one designed purpose and that it to eliminate a toe stop and block up the hole in the plate so the plate does not gouge the rink floor if you accidentally touch the plate to the floor.

I know jam sk8rs do "plug spins" but that part was never intended for that kind of use or actually stopping a sk8r.

Next, you should have no problems having the plug come loose if you tighten the clamp screw properly.

As far as screwing an actual stop shaft into the plate too far?? Yes it will damage the boot if it pushes a up against it. You should have no trouble feeling the toe start to rise and if it is screwed in far enough you will deform the sole.
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Derrick

Default thanks do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
First, that item in the stop location in your pic is called a dance plug. It gas one designed purpose and that it to eliminate a toe stop and block up the hole in the plate so the plate does not gouge the rink floor if you accidentally touch the plate to the floor.

I know jam sk8rs do "plug spins" but that part was never intended for that kind of use or actually stopping a sk8r.

Next, you should have no problems having the plug come loose if you tighten the clamp screw properly.

As far as screwing an actual stop shaft into the plate too far?? Yes it will damage the boot if it pushes a up against it. You should have no trouble feeling the toe start to rise and if it is screwed in far enough you will deform the sole.
Actually, the dance plug is just in because the toe stop was lost I'm using the literal use of the term " lost" I know where it is but was taken by my boss and he won't give it back).
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation

OK.. There is always the possibility you have what is known as a tolerance stack up. The hole is most likely threaded to the max dimension for the 5/8 thread (or bigger). Then you run into the possibility that the toe stop stem is machined to the minimum spec (or smaller)... That can make the clamp almost impossible to work. Most often a different stop solves the problem.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #5
rwsz

doc as usual you are right on, those are dance plugs and made of plastic they will only take so much pressure before coming out. if he has a metal toe stop as you know it could be a number of reasons for coming out or loosening.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
OK.. There is always the possibility you have what is known as a tolerance stack up. The hole is most likely threaded to the max dimension for the 5/8 thread (or bigger). Then you run into the possibility that the toe stop stem is machined to the minimum spec (or smaller)... That can make the clamp almost impossible to work. Most often a different stop solves the problem.
Perfect! See my last post, one thing is for sure, I'm getting a different stop.
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
doc as usual you are right on, those are dance plugs and made of plastic they will only take so much pressure before coming out. if he has a metal toe stop as you know it could be a number of reasons for coming out or loosening.
The dance plugs never hit the ground. I just T-stop. But, I like to have them when I attempt the Waltz-Jump.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Skatervideoguy

Hi Derrick,

Now that Doc Sk8 has solved your "Toe Stop" issue, what the Heck does this mean ??

Quote:
I know where it is but was taken by my boss and he won't give it back).
Seems a bit Strange.

Harold
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi Derrick,

Now that Doc Sk8 has solved your "Toe Stop" issue, what the Heck does this mean ??

Seems a bit Strange.

Harold
check out the after session min-blog. It's explained n much detail.