S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:53 PM   #1
purlingwood

Default Going from 95A's to 101's

Been thinking of repalcing my pacesetter wheels with some 101A bones. I have been working on my foot pressure control for turns and stops. Might be a good time to go to a wheel that suits the style of skating I've been doing.

I rhythm and shuffle skate, but have been trying spins and other moves. However, when it's too crowded to do that, I end up going for speed with the folks in the fast lane.

Can I still get some grip with the 101's for the speed skate. Or, should I go with the 95a or maybe some wider derby wheels on my other pair of skates.

IF it matters, I am comfortable now with my trucks being a bit loose than they were before. Sure-grip X series with factory cushions. Might upgrade the cushions at the same time.

Think I can get by wit hthe team roller bones 101A's for $40 or so. Or go with the touch under $100 bones elite wheels.

Again, looking to loose a little grip, but not a ton. Floor surface is mostly poly'd wood floors, but also skate often on a for the most part bare wood floor they occasionally touch up with oil soap.

Think the 62mm is better than the 57's. Don't care hugely if I gain or loose a little speed.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2
2tence

Attention 2tence: Posting on Ask Doc Sk8 prior to the Doctor posting is not allowed. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Ask Doc Sk8 is not a place to relay hearsay. Your experience with concrete is of interest but what other folks have "said" or posted is not.

I bought the 101A's a few weeks ago and find them absolutely amazing!

I have only used them on a treated cement surface so I can only comment on that, but based on what I read I assumed that the compound was so hard that they would slip a little... they don't.

Even the day I got them and held them in my hand I thought there would be slippage and minimal grip... there is not.

Based on what I have heard from other skaters who have used them on wood, the grip should be consistent.

The cushions are another issue, my trucks are so loose they hang off... I had soft cushions in and the new wheel is significantly taller than the old White Lightening's I had before, now when I lean left for my turns the wheel on the front left will make contact with the sole of my boot.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; September 21st, 2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Rule violation
2tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlingwood View Post
Been thinking of repalcing my pacesetter wheels with some 101A bones. I have been working on my foot pressure control for turns and stops. Might be a good time to go to a wheel that suits the style of skating I've been doing.

From reading the rest of the way through this I'm thinking you mean the narrow Bones wheels??

I rhythm and shuffle skate, but have been trying spins and other moves. However, when it's too crowded to do that, I end up going for speed with the folks in the fast lane. Can I still get some grip with the 101's for the speed skate.

Can one go fast on a dance or freestyle wheel?? Yes one can...and some faster than others.. However experience tells me one typically cannot go as fast as someone on a speed wheel all else being equal. (Of course, all else is seldom if ever equal) The loss of grip will make you slide out while the speed wheel keeps on gripping.

Or, should I go with the 95a or maybe some wider derby wheels on my other pair of skates.

Other pair of sk8s?? Care to expand??

IF it matters, I am comfortable now with my trucks being a bit loose than they were before.

Good, that enhances grip.

Sure-grip X series with factory cushions. Might upgrade the cushions at the same time.

Not might. Really should, and while you are @ it convert that plate to a reverse king pin. Search out Harry's Stud. Makes adjusting the action a 1 wrench affair.

Think I can get by wit hthe team roller bones 101A's for $40 or so. Or go with the touch under $100 bones elite wheels.

One does not "get by" on the cheap when looking for max performance.

Again, looking to loose a little grip, but not a ton. Floor surface is mostly poly'd wood floors, but also skate often on a for the most part bare wood floor they occasionally touch up with oil soap.

Not familiar with the second. as a sk8ing floor treatment. However I cannot imagine the residue left behind would be good for ultimate traction..

Think the 62mm is better than the 57's. Don't care hugely if I gain or loose a little speed.

Here is an idea. Sure Grip just released their new Royal wheel. I have had 2 sets under test by local sk8rs (not me... I don't roll that style wheel and I 'm working on something different.) The feed back from the sk8rs has been impressive. One of the sk8rs no longer sk8s his Bones Elites and won't give the test samples back.. These seem to do it all (including not picking up dirt) and on multiple floors from NYC to Atlanta as well.

Now let me conclude by saying that I can no more recommend the best wheel for you than I can for myself. After all If I need different wheels for different floors, I would expect you would to.. BUT as usual...YMMV.