S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:10 AM   #41
KristenHodder

Default Rude Awakening!!!

Sooooo....I practiced with the DFW Speed Team....which is all inlines....that was a rude awakening. Not only am I slow and out of shape, but I was getting my butt spanked with an audience!! And, I was racing against 7, 8, and 9 year olds and one of the girls fell trying to pass me and I'm sure that left a bad taste in the parents mouths. Oh well I got my inlines today, but the ankle buckle was broken so I have to send them back. I didn't realize just how out of shape I was until tonight.....good butt whooping....
KristenHodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:36 AM   #42
quadbob

Default shape

yeah quads against inlines is hard, no contest. hang in there it gets a little better.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #43
splitwoods

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
well kristen it sounds like you found what you needed. good deal, i hope it all works out and we see you at nationals. if you make it just ask where quadbob is and someone will know. i'll probably be the one getting lapped,lol.

hey tony coated woods would be awesome but i don't think you'll ever get usars to aprove them and thats to bad.
hey if we could come up with enough wheels we could put on an exibition or something, hey splitwoods where are you! man i'm old, but woods we be so much fun. even if it was just one more time.
I am here Bob, just copying the mail is all!

We developed C&L Bostik Wheel Coatings back in 72-73 time frame, It was our answer to what we saw coming, that was the elimination of powder, and the need to continue racing on wood wheels on a slick plastic coated floor.

"Roll On" was the Approved National coating and the most popular of the day so we experimented with several coating compounds until we came up with the formula that we felt worked the best, we marketed it in a can with a brush on applicator (With very specific application insutrucitons) at a very fair price. It was widely accepted as the best available. Used indoors and out, both here and thruout Europe. Many made a run on us with everything from Industrial bonding adhesives to Hair spray type of spray ons, but none got the job dome better than Bostik. In fact if our product was used properly, and by this I mean allowing it to set up over a 24 hour period, the residue was virtually non existant on a floor. Now if it was abused, say painted on 10 minutes prior to a race, then once you would slide, the barely dry skin would break, and some liquid would ooze off the wheel, that is an other story certainly. Many of the other coatings never worked properly and were always leaving tracks behind all over the place, so at the end of the day, they chose to ban ALL coatings, the good ones and the bad ones, they just threw the baby out with the bath water !

We also had Politics to deal with, BOD members who were also Operators, and manufacturers of floor coatings to boot. Fairly hard as a wheel maker to do battle with a deck of cards stacked so high when they want to change the rules and eliminate an entire segment of the manufacturing industry, in favor of cornering the market for themselves!

While I believe Tony is correct, I do not see it happening, not in this lifetime, but hey, we had one heck of a run for 6 years while it lasted. We introduced more innovative Quad Speed Boot, Plate, Wheel, Axle, Hubs, Bearing, Wheel Coating, and Toestop designs, many of which are still in use today, then in the complete prior history of the sport! An entire industry sprung up after we closed up shop....we even had a very progressive InLine skate on the drawing boards, that we never brought out, and that one was 10 years prior to the first one hitting the market..... we left our mark on the sport for sure, and for that I am very proud...Calvano is still out there hawking his wares back east.....

We had several major skate plate makers wanting to sell out their compete company to us, soemthing I gave very serious thought too, but at the end of the day that as well as getting into plastic wheel making was just not what we wanted to do.....very cost intensive I may add.....

Just a wee bit more history on the way things were almost 40 years back....

Splitwood
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #44
quadbob

Cool great stuff

you need to build inlines and run these junk dealers out of bussiness,lol. most of this junk comes from china and feels like it.
i told tony someone should just bypass usars and start a quad league! woods only, lol. thats the gimmic sorry to say! but maybe people would be interested again if it was on woods and bostic!
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #45
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

I remember the Bostik. We went to an invitational In San Antonio, 73 maybe 74. The rules said no powder so we painted the hell out of our Cooks (I think)
Didn't have a good meet but, it was a look into what was to come.
rhetttro is offline   Reply With Quote