S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM   #1
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Schenectady, NY Quad Wheel Choice

Hi Guys/Gals,

On another thread under Speed Jim White gave me the rink where regionals will be held on May 18. I think this is one link to this rink.

http://www.rollarama.com/classes_rector.shtml

A couple of long term quad skaters that just visitied this rink thought that floor being so big for InLine meets was kind of hard for quads on the straight aways.

Not sure till I see it myself yet wonder if anyone has a certain quad wheel that works well on that floor??

Anyway what wheel would you use for good speed and control on that Schenectady floor??

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 2nd, 2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Adding a bit more detail to the Last Question
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
quadbob

Default quads

any good quality wheels will work just fine. but there is know regionals for quads anymore. nationals is open to anyone! so unless your skating the regional floor on quads for fun it won't matter.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thanks QualBob

Thanks Bob,

I thought what you wrote as I looked at the Rollarama site.

I did suspect they were just unused to skating on a big floor.

Hoping that if this group of young boys go to this speed event that they can also skate on their quads before or after. Many of them skateboard at a local park, InLine, and do want to eventually move up to 100s.

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #4
quadbob

Cool your welcome

no problem hope everything works out as planned.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #5
Jim White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hoping that if this group of young boys go to this speed event that they can also skate on their quads before or after.
(Perhaps you've already done this, or we discussed, I don't remember.) If skating quads is important (hope it is), suggest you contact someone before going. Skating session would be one option, discuss with the rink manager getting a little time where the visitors can skate speed, more so than in the typical session. Another possibility is that sometimes there's a speed practice the afternoon/evening before a speed meet; perhaps you could get a few minutes at the beginning or end of that. Anything special the morning of Regionals is unlikely, IMO; everyone will be focused on the meet. After a meet usually the floor is allocated for awards, after which the floor is busy with people moving equipment off, after which usually is session. But perhaps some time for quads could be planned, and actually used if the meet doesn't run too much longer than planned.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
JandKLarson

Default No NE Speed Regionals

MANY Skating Dave,

We have heard (through Cathy Morante - my husband skates for her outdoor team) that this year, as last year, there will be no Regional Championships for the NE Region, which were to take place next weekend. This was due to the number of entrants - there were 4 or less in each division, so all entered skaters are getting an automatic "bye" to Nationals.

As Jim White previously posted, Cathy is a good contact in the region, so it may be worth reaching out to her in the future for info. on next year's indoor speed season.

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thanks A HUGE Amount

Hey JandKLarson

Thanks ever so much.

I MEAN IT.. You are a savior before I made the call..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
MANY Skating Dave,

We have heard (through Cathy Morante - my husband skates for her outdoor team) that this year, as last year, there will be no Regional Championships for the NE Region, which were to take place next weekend. This was due to the number of entrants - there were 4 or less in each division, so all entered skaters are getting an automatic "bye" to Nationals.

As Jim White previously posted, Cathy is a good contact in the region, so it may be worth reaching out to her in the future for info. on next year's indoor speed season.

Julie
I saw the 4 teams listed and I did see that one of the teams out of lower RI seemed to be missing. I was surprised to see that a team exists in Vernon, CT. I know and have been to that rink if they are using that small floor for speed practice.

Thanks a Lot, I hate stimulating these young guys or gals (10, >12 ) and then have them drive the distance to a fizzled event. Some of them, and parents, would give up little league baseball games or practice to go to the Albany area. I have a jam skating event on 25 May that I know is a GO so I can use that as a kind of replacement. I say kind of because it doesn't really replace speed for the young boys and some gals.

Old May 12th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default My dad bites my dust

Hi Again Jim, QualBob, JandKLarson, Jessica, On and On,

One of the young boys I kind of push or they kind of watch me or a few others and then push themselves to skate hard FINALLY had his dad come to a session skate. I have been waiting to meet their dad for awhile..

His dad is a hard long hour working engineering person yet used be a good skater when young. He has good wheels and good bearings.

Sometimes I chase this young man and his older brother and get right beside him and sometimes behind him to build his speed. He always loves the challenge and soon they will be past me.

SO Anyway, his dad was kind of slipping since he hadn't skated in quite some time and this fine young man came over to me and said.

"My dad bites my dust"

Which meant he could skate harder and stronger than his dad.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 12th, 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: A bit more of the story