S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #21
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Jimmy I think you should go with a leather sole. I have several boots that have been mounted several times with no problems. The only place I would like to see the use of the carbon fiber is in the heel cup and the arch support.
thats waht i was thinking also, BUT i ahve some other material that might just do the same thing that carbon would.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #22
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Well, I prefer the low cut ankle of the Riedell 195 (811 also). I always hear people complain of break-in time. Maybe a softer leather from the start would reduce the break-in.

Rg
I like that boot a lot. It is made very well. But folks have to have the right Heel size to really feel comfortable. I've sold several, that I had to take back, and sub for like a 695. But I sure like that tongue.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #23
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

One thing I would like to see, is a cut out in back, for the achiles (sp?) tendon, like modern light weight hiking boots. that area is always a tough area to form right. Everything else You Folks have suggested sounds great. Oh ya, the old original Riedell 201s and 401s made for a good Speed boot. I have mounted those to several Quads. It's no longer made.
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #24
xlracer

Never Saw the 401s but the 201s looks like it would make a nice quad boot even though it was one of the early Riedell inline boots correct. I had never seen one before a few weeks ago when I saw one on ebay I almost bid on it but it was too small and both kids have plenty of stuff already.
BTW Jimmy, Shay Moody says hearing this is putting him in a deep funk.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #25
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Never Saw the 401s but the 201s looks like it would make a nice quad boot even though it was one of the early Riedell inline boots correct. I had never seen one before a few weeks ago when I saw one on ebay I almost bid on it but it was too small and both kids have plenty of stuff already.
BTW Jimmy, Shay Moody says hearing this is putting him in a deep funk.
The Riedell 201 was hands down the most uncomfortable awful thing I have ever attempted to skate on. I still cringe when I see those things!!
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #26
xlracer

Thanks, I really glad now I didnt bother.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #27
beep1o
beep1o

I'd love to see a boot for Derby made like a hardball hockey (that's quad hockey) boot. They are awesome...support for the foot, extra material on the toe so it doesn't wear out...sadly it seems like only European companies make them.
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #28
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
The Riedell 201 was hands down the most uncomfortable awful thing I have ever attempted to skate on. I still cringe when I see those things!!
I'll have to take pics of my sons 201's with quad plates, he loves them, but what does he know? He's only 11!

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #29
quadbob

Default hockey boots

yeah why couldn't you take an inline hockey boot. remove the frames and put your quad plates on them. most of them just have a nylon sole. so it wouldn't be any problem to do it. i think it might be fine for derby.
quadbob.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #30
Iggy
DGS Racing

Default My personal perfect boot

I jamskate mostly and a little speed skating. No competition stuff or anything. Just session skating. I have a 395 boot that I've had for 4 or 5 years now. It's a great boot, but it's gettin pretty worn so I've been looking at new boots. I've actually found a few different boots that I'd love to see put into one. I like a loose fit when I'm jamskating (I actually don't even tie them) but I like them as tight as I can get them for speed skating. Basically, I'd like to see something like the Riedell 911 with a low cut ankle like the 811 and 195. I'd like the low ankle for the extra manuverability but I personally don't like the front flip lace cover. I like the power buckle on the 911 so I could click it once or twice to keep the cover from flapping around while jamskating and tighten it down for speed skating. I also like the additional leather on the toe of the 911. I did see a Lynx LS2 quad boot online that had a power strap like on an inline speed boot. I think that would be nicer than a full lace cover. I like a stiffer leather for the boot itself. I don't mind a little break in time. Definately a leather sole. The loops in the tongue to put the laces through to keep the tongue from sliding around. That's the one thing I hate about my 395s.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #31
beep1o
beep1o

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
yeah why couldn't you take an inline hockey boot. remove the frames and put your quad plates on them. most of them just have a nylon sole. so it wouldn't be any problem to do it. i think it might be fine for derby.
quadbob.

'Cause inline hockey boots are too high. Hardball hockey boots otoh are not. The really low cut boots do not work for derby, there a little bit of ankle support is greatly appreciated, but you can't get it too high or you can't bend your foot enough. SO many girls wear ankle braces...I wonder if a compromise could be found in a speed boot somewhere. That's why the hardball hockey boots are intriguing...plus i've seen some derby girls use them.
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #32
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

I like....wait for it.....no ankle. I like a socklike boot with lots of flex. soft soft soft leather, light and minimal. Some good examples would be the Team david "CH20" and the Altamura Panther. The only problem with the Team David (or Chester) is that the sole is oftentimes either too thin or not stitched heavily enough, which leads to either cave in around the plates or the sole seperating.

If you could make a boot like this, well, I'd buy at least 20 pairs! Especially if they were kangaroo with a sheerling tongue....
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #33
ogfarmskater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
I like....wait for it.....no ankle. I like a socklike boot with lots of flex. soft soft soft leather, light and minimal. Some good examples would be the Team david "CH20" and the Altamura Panther. The only problem with the Team David (or Chester) is that the sole is oftentimes either too thin or not stitched heavily enough, which leads to either cave in around the plates or the sole seperating.

If you could make a boot like this, well, I'd buy at least 20 pairs! Especially if they were kangaroo with a sheerling tongue....

+1
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #34
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

I love my chesters! (I have the CH20)
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #35
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsk8rgirl View Post
I love my chesters! (I have the CH20)

I *had* a ch20, but with the language barrier and all they were about 1/2 size too big. I still skated them for a few years before recently selling them to broken joe. I've been trying to contact team david to get a (few) new pair, but they're not returning emails. Sigh. I do have an Altamura on the way though!
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #36
quadbob

Cool boots

these are great, but the problem is they are really outdoor boots. and does anyone race outdoors on quads anymore. for indoors they'd have to be taller. but those are sweet, i wouldn't mind a set like that for my dominators. they are great outside and with a low boot like that they'd be even better.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #37
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
these are great, but the problem is they are really outdoor boots. and does anyone race outdoors on quads anymore. for indoors they'd have to be taller. but those are sweet, i wouldn't mind a set like that for my dominators. they are great outside and with a low boot like that they'd be even better.
I'm not sure I agree. The "standard" is for a taller boot for indoor, but I love skating these on 100m indoor. In fact, a forward mount setup on a longer plate with a CH20 is my preferred indoor setup.
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #38
quadbob

Wink boots

i would agree but all the races are short sprints anymore. if we had any distance stuff they'd be perfect. also they tend to pull off in the back at the heel when you start. and when your long race is a darn 10, the starts important. i bet there comfy though. we need two versions they'd be great at maybe a 595 height for indoors! and like that for everything else. you know everyone has there preferances. i think you can still get chesters if you can speak itailian or french or one of those languages.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #39
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I love my Chester boot indoors also. I know everyone considers the very low cut ones to be outdoor boots, but I swear I skate better indoors on that boot than any other boot.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #40
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I really like the 695 boot, except Reidell has made a few changes over the years. The leather went from soft supple leather to something that more resembles cardboard. And, it seems as though the cut of the leather around the ankle is about half an inch higher than it used to be.

So, keep the boot low around the ankle and the leather soft.

I am a fan of the 695 leather & velcro strap. I have never had a problem with any of mine. I am not a fan of the 911 & inline style ratchet style straps.

Also, an option to add / delete a lace cover would be nice. Personally, I do not care for lace covers for indoor skating, but that is just me.

Keep us updated if and when you decide to make a quad boot. If it is anything like your inline boots, I am sure they will be top notch.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote