S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #41
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Wow, thanks for all of the input!!!!!

just a quick question, i have an old 395 that i skate on(era 1992ish) would yall like that height of cut? (im sure i can make a really lower one like the above pix too) my 395's height are right at the middle of my ankle. and mabye a small velcro strap/lacecover ro hold the laces tight? or is it not needed?
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #42
xlracer

Jimmy I would like something a little higher on the ankle but I am probably the exception. I am not big on the whole lace cover thing but a small cover with a buckle that is functional and helps to hold the foot sung in the heel cup sounds like a great idea.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #43
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
Wow, thanks for all of the input!!!!!

just a quick question, i have an old 395 that i skate on(era 1992ish) would yall like that height of cut? (im sure i can make a really lower one like the above pix too) my 395's height are right at the middle of my ankle. and mabye a small velcro strap/lacecover ro hold the laces tight? or is it not needed?
For me, the height of your old 395 would be about perfect.

Like xl said, I use the ankle strap to pin my heel into the boot. Without the strap, the laces have to be super tight to get the same effect. Tight laces can cause unnecessary cramps and pain.

Any ideas on available colors?
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #44
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

kennedy, if you have seen my inline boots, you know colors are never in short abundance! i think i should have about 18 colors available.. im going to be working on a few prototypes in the next few weeks, so look out for some teaser pictures!
Old March 26th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #45
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

I'm not a fan of lace covers myself. And I'd also like a version shorter than the 395 if you could make one

I don't mind a small amount of slippage in the ankles, but that's me. If the height of the top of the laces is appropriate, it alleviates most of it.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #46
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
The Riedell 201 was hands down the most uncomfortable awful thing I have ever attempted to skate on. I still cringe when I see those things!!
Sorry it didn't fit you well. I have mounted several to Quad Plates. And once the moldable boot was properly formed, my customers were most happy, and are using them still today. --but that just goes to show, if only one boot worked for everybody--there would only be one boot. good luck.
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #47
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I have mounted several Bicycle shoes to Quads. They have a very stable sole. But were not designed for lateral support. So they tend to break down rather quickly. but I have not given up. I still search through all the Bike Mags, for something that would be light, and supportive enough.---But I have mounted plates to Tony Lama Cowboy boot, Engineer boots, Lineman boots, Chuck Taylor All Stars, Combat boots, Para trooper boots, and to flip flop sandals.(house Skates) I ain't shy.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #48
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I think the height of that older 395 is a good starting point. They hit right about where you want them to on the ankle on most people.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #49
uvafan420
|d ch|| k8r

Ahhhh this is a simple topic... Just build quads like the O's and you have a winner.... Soft leather, perfect ankle height, tongue stays where it should and is cumfy, style is A+++, and it is the most comfortable boot you will ever put on.... These are my opinions, but I am sure they are shared by many.......
uvafan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #50
Bravehart
4WD Skater

Do an Oberhamer style boot: comfy soft leather, firm counters, etc. And then instead of the odd "D" loops on the sides, do a full lace-cover with ratchet buckle like the 911 or prototype Oberhamer inlines. Also do some variable cuts to it, do a 395 cut, 195/CH20 cut, and something around the height of the Labeda 377, for variation and skating styles. I think for durability it should have a double-stitched sole for the derby people and those who are hard on their skates. I think with a design like the old Oberhamers and modern technology we should have a winner.
Bravehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #51
bazzman

probably just about any soft leather old school boot is good to go by for the uppers...although i am partial to the higher cut boots such as the 395/595 etc....also i believe a lace to the toe gives you better lacing options...again i am partial to that option as well...maybe use modern technology for a more firm stable sole...maybe utilize some carbonfiber perhaps?...and oh yes probably the most important for me is that extended counter on the outside of the right boot on most speed boots..PLEASE cut it a little shorter or something because that spot right on that pinky toe knuckle kills me on just about all my boots!
bazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM   #52
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Another one! How about a flat bottom sole the length of the boot. Some of us like to run long plates for speed. If the heel or toes curve up too much the plate could look like parts of it are hanging out lost in space.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:34 AM   #53
beep1o
beep1o

Boo lace covers. I hate 'em. You can't use toe guards then. If you want to sell to any derby girls don't put lace covers on. I like a little heel though.
beep1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #54
Sporky

COVERS ALL THE WAY!!!!!!

keeps the laces under control!!!!

And they are purdy too!!!
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #55
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Well, im playing today and some people knows what that means! (hehe evil laugh)

i just MIGHT have a few pic for yall in the next few days..

this one wont have a strap at all, but it has just a little padding, a tight heel cup, and should look pretty good!
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #56
bazzman

composite sole of some kind!?!?
bazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #57
xlracer

Bring it on man. After quadbob gets a shot at skating in them. Send me a size 8. My Doc says I have to find a better fitting boot asap or I am going to do some serious damage to my foot.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM   #58
Armadillo

Default BB shoes can make some decent skate boots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
I had a pair of the first Jordan basketball shoes. They had a neoprene like booty that went around the top of the heel and about halfway down the foot. They felt awesome. I bet the jammers would like an option like that. I would like to try it in my speed boot. If it's designed correctly, it could help keep my foot from rolling when I distribute the several tons of force to the floor during my cross-over. And also keep the heel tight.

I like the height of the 695, and I also like the strap. I wish it had another right behind the ball of the foot. Leather, no plastic buckles!

Some air vents or mesh would be nice also to help keep things dry.

A toungue that won't freagin move to the left.

How about a carbon sole, with several mounting nuts cast in (ie. cycling shoes). Or you could design a proprietary plate (5 deg. action and 7mm axles)
oldnslow,
You are thinkin' like me and I got the skates to proove it too. These Air Zoom '96 BB shoes are phenomenally good. Soles are plenty stiff, especially with urethane adhesive bonding them to 110% of the plate surface. Carbon fiber and structural foam sides and carbon fiber heel. The ankle collar booty is icing on the cake. Still not too heavy either.
Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 21st, 2008 at 02:25 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:09 AM   #59
Art G

I've been using 351s since about 1996.
My all time favorites were some Oberhamer 35s that I had from 1980 to about 1989.
A lot of People I spoke to back then didn't like them, but I felt great in them!
The only Riedells I have ever tried and really liked were a pair of 595Bs that I had taken to a shoe shop and had 5/8" heels installed.
They were actually pretty good in fact.
If I had to buy new quads today, I would do that again.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #60
atelfe

I have been using Altamura international speed boots for sometime now and never had a problem. But now supply has dryed up i had to change over and the only thing i could find was the riedel 195s. These boots have shockingly bad quality, the leather is hard and the laces are $2 cheapys. Talk about blisters, i dread skating in them. I'm now looking at buying the bont leather speed boots(not carbon), has anyone tryed these yet? They look really good and the leather looks softer.
atelfe is offline   Reply With Quote