S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1
KristenHodder

Default Frustration Finding Quad Speed Team in Texas!

So I have major interest in getting back into quad speed skating but I have not found anybody that practices with them anymore in Fort Worth. How frustrating!! Guess I'm going to have to learn how to skate inline and just show up at the quad competitions and see how I do again. Quads need to make a comeback!!!
KristenHodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

There aren't too many quad teams left anywhere, especially in this part of the country (most of them seem to be in the Midwest).

But they DO have quad practice in Austin (Texas Speed Club) and I think that is one of the few places that actually has a dedicated quad practice vs. just allowing the quads to skate with the inlines. I know that isn't super-convenient for you but figured I'd mention it anyways. I have started driving up there from San Antonio for quad & inline practice on Sundays and people come from a few other cities also. So if you ever get the chance you should check it out.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #3
quadbob

Thumbs up quads

hi kristen glad you came over here. more folks. i hope you find a team to practice with and we see you at nationals this year.
i agree it sucks and it's hard to get a team to let you practice on your quads but don't give up. it took me a year or so of nagging to get the quads up and running now the coach is fine with it. of coarse you still have to deal with the teasing! buy the folks that don't have any real idea what speed used to be. anyway welcome.

quadbob.
welcome to the quad side!
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4
KristenHodder

Default Hmmm

I wonder how hard it is to start your own team? LOL!!! I want to quad skate sooo bad!!! Oh well. I guess I'll just have to move to "Keep it weird" Austin!
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #5
quadbob

Default quads

texas still has alot of quads skaters at least they show up for nationals. i'd go to the nearest team and ask. you might have to skate with the slower folks. and trust me you will. but if you can convinse them that your going to become and inliner once your back in shape, lies lies all lies,lol. maybe they'll let you come and skate, also if you what to go to nationals thats a big issue right now because the numbers are low and most teams are scrabling to just get skaters. your an exspeed skater not a roundy rounder just looking to get in the way. and you need to convince the coach of that. make him understand you have skated nationals and qualified out of regionals and your not a rookie!
good luck.
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #6
spskater

Hi Kristen,
Would be great if you wanted to come down and join us for quad speed. We practice Sunday mornings at 10am til 12. At 12 we start inlines and if you wanted you could stay for that.
Your other option is to get the roller girls in your area to start a speed group which will help both of you.
Debra
spskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #7
KristenHodder

Default Where?

Where do you practice at? I would love to come and practice! I have to get some skates though. I don't think the skates I wore when I was 8 will fit me now that I'm 26!! I still have all the wheels and everything. I'll have to check and see if they are on the approved wheel list. Probably not. But I can at least use them to start practicing. I would love to learn inline, but I want to compete on quads still. I loved it!!
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #8
TONY KISSING

Default Quad Racing

If Quad Racing Is To Ever Come Back The Only Chance It Has Is To Be Unique. Not A Slower Version Of Inline Racing.
Quad Racing Would Have To Be On Wooden Wheels With A Wheel Coating. The Sport Would Be Affordable For All - Because The Equipment Cost Would Be Way Down.
I Also Think That Quad Racing On Wooden Wheels Would Become Bigger Than Inline Racing Indoors.
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

When "Flame and Rage" was still in H-Town. she beat the Mens Inlines speed Team at the Rink, 3 out of 3 races. they did not like it one little bit. But they did look cool in their speed suits. Quads are far from dead. Derby has just got the front burner for now. More People to watch, and a lot more excitement all the way around. Just going fast is no longer enough. --in my view.
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #10
spskater

We practice at Playland and Sonny Felter is our coach. http://www.playlandskatecenter.com/ We compete in both
inlines and quads. Right now we have 3 National Champions
skating for us. Classic Ladies, Master Ladies and Veteran Ladies.
Our coach might be able to help you out with quad and inline
skates. Hope to see you at practice.
Debra
spskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM   #11
KristenHodder

Default Tonight

I see that you guys have a newcomer practice tonight at 6:00? Will you be there? I wonder if my boss will let me out early. I can drive down and meet everyone tonight.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #12
gospeedracer

Kristen, we will be there even though it says beginner! We have quite a few quad skaters now that Derby is in full action. Tonight is only inlines but bring your quads and skate a little after practice if you'd like. We have about 55 skaters on our Team here in Austin and a few live in the DFW area. You might approach a Rink and see if they want to start a quad practice. There are a couple of Rink owners up there that were National Champs in their day but don't skate anymore....I'm sure they are die hard Quadders!
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #13
KristenHodder

Default Which rinks?

Do you know which rinks they own? I can make some phone calls and talk to some of them and see what they think. Even if I can just practice there alone for a few hours a day a couple times a week it would be helpful. There is a big rink in Lewisville, TX called InterSkate Roller Rink that sells skates and I just got off the phone with them and I'm going to run up there tomorrow and get fitted for the Vanilla boots to see my size and I'm getting them ordered. I'm also having my dad help me build a slide board again and I already have been running on my treadmill at home for the last 2 weeks to try and get in better shape.

Since it's already about 4:00, and it takes about 3 hours to get down to Austin from here, I probably won't make it tonight, but I will for sure make it in the future. I want to come down when I get my skates which will hopefully be sooner than later!
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #14
quadbob

Default good deal

well kristen it sounds like you found what you needed. good deal, i hope it all works out and we see you at nationals. if you make it just ask where quadbob is and someone will know. i'll probably be the one getting lapped,lol.

hey tony coated woods would be awesome but i don't think you'll ever get usars to aprove them and thats to bad.
hey if we could come up with enough wheels we could put on an exibition or something, hey splitwoods where are you! man i'm old, but woods we be so much fun. even if it was just one more time.
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #15
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
well kristen it sounds like you found what you needed. good deal, i hope it all works out and we see you at nationals. if you make it just ask where quadbob is and someone will know. i'll probably be the one getting lapped,lol.

hey tony coated woods would be awesome but i don't think you'll ever get usars to aprove them and thats to bad.
hey if we could come up with enough wheels we could put on an exibition or something, hey splitwoods where are you! man i'm old, but woods we be so much fun. even if it was just one more time.
That would be fun to see, especially for those of us who missed that whole era. I wouldn't mind trying out some wood wheels on some powder, just to see what that was like!!
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #16
quadbob

Thumbs up woods

hey take a set of those 103a vannila wheels or something thats really hard. know i'm mean really hard. run down the straitaway put your feet together, and slide into the corner without falling down, feet still together weight on the right foot. until you get to a point in the corner, somewhere around the middle. where you think you can grip enough to start skating again. then skate out of the turn while controling your power because they will slip out from under you on each stroke if you push to hard. and into the next corner and do it again. for 80 laps or so. that would be called a 5 mile open. oh wait, i forgot, you need 40 or 50 more skaters all doing it at the same time, lmao. man it was fun. you could not believe the control you had to have to really go fast, and some of the guys would literly fly!
plastic wheels took away the finese and added power and strenght. if you were strong you could go pretty fast. the inliners talk about tecnic all the time. but on woods if you were goofy your a$$ was on the floor.
anyway good days, good times, and tony's right people would come and watch wood skaters, and maybe even try it them selfs. but i don't see it happening any time soon. and thats to bad. because thats when skating was fun. i wish someone would start a quad speed league with wood wheels only! and to heck with usars. i'd be the first one to sign up.
hey tony has anyone tried woods one roll on. i know they didn't work on rink coat, but what about the new plastics ?
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #17
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

So it would be a little like trying to speed skate in rock-hard artistic wheels or something.... where you have no grip and you are just having to keep your feet and your weight perfect so they don't slide out from under you.
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #18
quadbob

Default woods

somewhat, thats what the powder did. it gave you grip at least some. and not all woods were hard, like bass, it was softer than say maple. so even though they were woods you still had soft and hard wheels for differant races. long races you used hard wheels and sprints you used a softer wheel. but your right your balance had to be right or you had know power or control.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #19
KristenHodder

Default LOL

Sooo, I went to my parents house and picked up all my old speed skating stuff. I got my old program out from when I competed in Nationals and they held them at the InterSkate in Lewisville, TX....the place I just went to today to get fitted for some new boots..LOL. Thought that was funny. Anyway. So I have two old sets of skates and unfortunately, my gray Riedels are one size too small for my feet. Frustrating. The Labeda Prolines that are on there have hardly been used though. My dad mentioned something about me being able to trade it in or something? Not exactly sure what he meant by that. I'm going to take some pictures of all my old gear and post them up to show them off. You can see me wearing my little pink ones in my picture and I have those as well. My brother has a lot of our old wheels but I still have my racing bearings and my racing hyper wheels on my skates and they still spin longer then a minute after 18 years. Funny. Ohhh...and does anyone know how to clean off medals after they have kind of tarnished a little?
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #20
quadbob

Default skates

hey kristen most little kids skates have to big a plate on them anyway. so maybe since the boot is only one size to small you could just re use the prolines on your new boots. just mount the fronts in the same place as the old ones. and let the back come up a little. that way you would'nt have to buy plates. as far as a trade labeda doesn't make plates anymore. but like i said if your boots are only one size smaller than your new ones i bet that plate will work fine!