S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1
online inline

Default Video of Apolo Ohno interview

check out this news interview with Apolo Ohno "Apolo returns to seattle". I like Apolo and his great atttude toward the sport, perhaps more than others. I partilcularly liked his reference to "...winning at several different levels" and the strength to get up when you've fallen down. I wish there was more sport stuff in this brief interview but it deals more with his career plans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I654T...elated&search=
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #2
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

That was a cute interview. And, man oh man, does he have his head screwed on correctly!
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
online inline

yeah, i'lll say, but as both you and i know, mark, so many seattleites have it together. Maybe it's becuase we're so close to Canada, that maybe some of their good sense has blown across the border. I don't know. Anyway, after all the Chad-Shani shananagins, i feel very drawn towards Apollo's work ethic, dedication to his sport, his attitudes toward his fellow skaters and winning and losing. We have a lot to learn from this young man.

I really hope he doesn't pursue some of the non-skating career options he made reference to in the interview.
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Jim White

Quote:
I really hope he doesn't pursue some of the non-skating career options
Excuse me, please, for overreacting, but this seems a repeat of a discussion I had with Norwegian skate fans who are disappointed that Joey Cheek is done skating. My position is that he has accomplished virtually all he ever would in skating, so it's time he shares his god-given gifts with much more of the world.

The same is true of Apolo, when he decides it's time. His goal is to be an ambassador of the Olympic movement. Ultimately, he can do that better in ways other than just skating. And skating will be the better for his letting his whole self shine.

Hey, you guys have Joey M., inline now, ice soon. Share a little, LOL.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #5
online inline

Hey Jim, i have this awful vision of Appolo Ohno was doing commercials in between Olympic coverage of the Koreans winning medal after medal in short track.

Joey may have made mention of going ice, but more than one Powerlside/Core skater has tried and failed (JG).

Apollo has not dominated his sport. He seems to pull out a few wins with a lot of luck.

Ultimately, i guess, he needs to be the judge of where his energies would be best applied. I just hate to see a guy make a terrible misstep, and maybe that might be what it is. Hard to tell.

Chad sure let enough on the plate to make it worth staying tuned until the next Olympics.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Jim White

Sorry, I don't see the point(s).

True, Apolo hasn't dominated. So what? (Actually, I think he has much skill.)

True, not every inliner who has tried ice has been as good there as on wheels. So what. (Actually, I think JG did well, for sure in the top .01%, and much better than me.)

Chad let enough on the plate? I don't know what that means. Yes, Chad is yet skating ice, and probably will through the next Olympics. So what? How does what Chad does relate to what Apolo should be doing? They are rather different people, in different sports.

So what if Apolo does commercials? At least he's getting public exposure. I can't hang with the Korean Olympic short track team (even though I expect I'd do OK against Koreans my age), so I don't think I'm in any position to tell someone else what to do. Actually, Apolo said he would "be an ambassador of the Olympic movement", so if he's doing commercials, they'd be public service type messages. If they're well done, I think it'd be great, and much better that Apolo did them than that I did them.

Quote:
I just hate to see a guy make a terrible misstep
I'd hate to be eaten by the dragon that I sometimes hear under my bed at night, but I think that's more likely than Apolo failing to do the right thing for himself, and for us. In other words, I trust him, and think there's very little chance he'll goof. Remember, this is a guy who has build a career on skating in the middle of the pack, away from the risk-taking at the front, yet coming to the lead when it counts.
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
online inline

Jim,
Dominate the sport means that Apollo could, and i emphesaize could, easily choose to go back for one more Olympics and set his site to be the top dog. I don't think he is considered the top right now. When i hear talk like 'quit because he's done it all' i think of Mark Spitz or Chad H. on inlines- who trully did rule by anyones standards. Apollo did not rule in that regard. He did well, great in fact, but i would not say he dominated the sport. Perhaps that could be his goal, and it does not have to be his goal, but i would not be surprised to see Apollo want to improve to the point where he was dominating the sport. Of course, that's his decision regardless of which alternative i would choose or hope him to choose.

But rather than counter each point here, let me say that Apollo has a unique gift. He has touched so many of us, both in his exemplary life style, dedication, and attitude, not to mention the beauty and grace and speed with which he has mastered in this sport we care so much for. How many people can do that? And how many gifts does a person get in a life? If his other career plans would exclude that which he has come so far in, i would feel that much was being jeopardized and perhaps lost.

Ultimately, when is it time to retire. I think we both agree that only the owner of the heart in that athlete's chest can know that. We know that winning and training at that level of dedication cannot be done without your heart in it fully, and if it's not, the time has come. I respect him enough to believe he will make the wisest decision. I am just saying i would hate to see it come to that, for the very reasons i've outlined here.

I find it encouraging that you care so much about this. I do too. It was watching the 2002 Olympics that in part got me interested in skating in the first place. Trully, these guys and women have a gift to inspire awe and establish yet higher athletic standards. That is not to be taken lightly (and that;s my point).
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Sometimes an athlete will want to start moving into another field - one that could possibly be a lifetime career, like broadcasting or acting - while they are still hot and a household name. If they wait until nobody remembers who they are, they might have lost a golden opportunity.

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #9
online inline

Good point, Kathy. But Apollo could still do that after the 2010 Olympics. Maybe he's just seeing if the offers are good enough right now to cash in on, or if it might be worth waiting...
The way he kept saying "We;ll see", i got the felling he wanted to see what the offer(s) were first. He sounded like someone waiting for something that may or may not be offered.
Just my read.

I'd love to see a movie made about this guy. He;'s that interesting.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Jim White

Quote:
I respect him enough to believe he will make the wisest decision.
Agree (and with much else in that post).

The "we'll see" sounds familiar. First time was about a year ago. Several friends of Ryan Leveille were training long track when he showed up on the ice. One asked "What are you doing here?" because he had until then been only short track. His reply was that he just wanted to try long track. Six weeks later, at the long track World Cup team trials, he made that team, then the Olympic team at the next trials.

That scenerio was repeated a month ago. Same question, same answer, same place, same person asking, only the person answering was different, this time a short track Olympian. Follow up was a little different: World Cup trials were a week later, the skater did qualify for the trials, but not for the team, but did come very close, so probably will next time, if the skater decides that what they want.

Actually, "we'll see" is about what Chad Hedrick was telling friends when he first started ice.

So my sense is that Apolo is open to offers, but not like he's auctioning himself off. I believe he has strong goals, and is carefully working through how to best accomplish them, and that the result will be him doing the best he can for himself and for skating.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #11
online inline

Good points, Jim, and thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge of this sport, as you have done so many times in the past.

And you have to admit, even if Apollo leaves the ice as a competitor, he really rang the bell. What a champ. What a role model. I love the way he trains, and i love his ability to get down to it, filtering out the distractions.

What comes next? We;ll see.