S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #1
azskate

Default Best indoor wheels

Please could anyone recommend which wheels in size 90mm would be best for a smooth, slippery (concrete) indoor 200m race track, this is for my 13 year old son. At the moment he has matter wheels which are good for outside but are very slippy on the inside track they usually train on.

Many thanks, Jim
azskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Jim,
I have almost no experience with the new inline wheels. I can tell you that the bigger names probably all make a wheel that's right for your application. Which Matters does he have? We skate on a "tite coat" (coated concrete, usually light blue) floor and we use outdoor Matters, usually red (replaced by a new yellow) mixed with greens. Some of the lighter skaters use the Pista (clear pink) wheels. Regardless, the issue probably isn't the brand of wheel he's using but the hardness. He needs something softer. Has he tried the Code Reds (white wheel, red hub)? They're supposed to be designed for concrete. Let us know what works out for you.

Also, you can email the manufacturers with the floor type and conditions along with the skater's height, weight, and frame length and get a recommendation from them directly. I emailed Matter when they discontinued the red wheels to ask why and I got an informative and satisfactory email directly from Julie Brandt-Glass.
Regards,
Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
skatersrefuge
www.spyder-rentals.com

Hi Jim, MPC makes three levels of indoor wheels but the ones that your son would be interested in would be the Mtech's that MPC has in a translucent green color. They are ranked "firm" and for a slippery surface, you would want a wheel that has a softer durometer to grip the floors. Here are their prices and you can check out more info on them at www.skatersrefuge.com

110: $17.00
100: $16.00
90: $16.50
84: $15.00
80: $14.50

All the Best,

Dave
[url]www.spyder-rentals.com[/url]
[email]dave@spyder-rentals.com[/email][/COLOR]
skatersrefuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
azskate

Default indoor wheels - hardness question

Thank you for your replies, however, I am a bit confused about hardness and grip. You both mention that softer wheels would have more grip, which seems to make sense, but wheels advertised for indoor, slippery surfaces are actually harder, eg around 91 while outdoor wheel tend to be about 84. Is there some contradiction here? Can anyone explain?
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #5
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Quote:
You both mention that softer wheels would have more grip, which seems to make sense, but wheels advertised for indoor, slippery surfaces are actually harder, eg around 91 while outdoor wheel tend to be about 84.
As a rule of thumb, the firmest outdoor wheels are around 85A hardness and the softest indoor wheels start at around 85A to 86A. However, if your floor is slippery, don't let the nomenclature worry you. It's just a category. Everyone on my speed team skates indoors on Matter outdoor wheels. Why? Because the softest "indoor" compound doesn't grip good enough. The softest Matter wheels labeled "indoor" are the blue ones. The absolute hardest Matter wheels we skate on are the reds, now replaced by a yellow color and even then, there is never more than 50% of the total number of wheels being red/yellow (firm).

If you want to add to the options (the confusion), some skaters skate with more than one hardness of wheel on each skate. For example, my two soft wheels (front and rear of a 4X100 setup) are combined with two firmer wheels in the middle two positions. This gives added roll while maintaining grip at the heel and toe. The moral of the story...see what works for others in similar situations and use it as a starting point in finding out what works for your (son's) specific case. Unless you're competing, a softer wheel has an added benefit. The reduced roll that you often get with a soft wheel makes it harder to maintain speed which can increase the intensity of a practice session.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #6
azskate

Thanks, Jeff,

actually my son and daughter (age 11) both skate, they are both using matter mundo green wheels, meant to be all purpose, for outside they are fine, but recently the inside track where they train and will be racing soon has become particularly slippery and they are finding that these wheels slip too much. Both are using 4 wheels, my daughter uses size 84mm and my son 90mm. Its is a 200m banked conrete oval track and on a flying lap my son is capable of lap times of approx 20.5-21 seconds. Although they have been training hard recently, I think the slippiness of the track is preventing them from reaching their maximum speeds, as they know that when they get to the bends they have got a fight on their hands! Maybe for training a more grippy wheel would be better, give them more of a work out for speed and more confidence on the bends? Any ideas what to suggest based on this additonal information?
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #7
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

How old are the wheels? As wheels age they get harder. When I used outdoor wheels indoors the first few laps I had amazing grip, and as the wheels heated up I lost grip.

Trying a new set of wheels might solve it all.

Wheel combos are voodoo...
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #8
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Good point Mark. Also, skating outdoors on your wheels usually changes the surface of the wheel, leaving tiny pits and such in it. That can make the wheels have less grip from reducing the contact patch and possibly picking up more dust/debris from the track surface. Even though my wheels are outdoor wheels, if I ever skated outdoors on them, I probably wouldn't use them indoors anymore.

Jeff
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatersrefuge View Post
Here are their prices and you can check out more info on them at www.skatersrefuge.com
Dave,

Why, when I go to the Skater's Refuge site, can I not see any of the indoor race wheels? Or am I just looking in the wrong place on the site?

Don
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPatton View Post
Dave,

Why, when I go to the Skater's Refuge site, can I not see any of the indoor race wheels? Or am I just looking in the wrong place on the site?

Don
The site says that the indoor speed wheels are coming soon.
chuckboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #11
DonPatton
Gadget Guy

Thanks, CB -- that was kind of my point. His message implies that if you go to the site, you can "can check out more info on them at www.skatersrefuge.com" but then I find no additional information about the indoor MPC wheels.
DonPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #12
azskate

Yes, exactly the same, we tried to look too - how soon is it coming??
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #13
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I just hope that the MPC indoor wheels aren't $15 each as well. That's insane!
chuckboucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #14
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

Quote:
I just hope that the MPC indoor wheels aren't $15 each as well. That's insane!
Betcha they are.
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #15
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Betcha they are.
Actually I think they are more expensive.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM   #16
azskate

Thanks for all the repiles. We actually decided to get Hyper agent orange for my son and Hyper super glue blue for my daughter, hopefully they will arrive soon and I will let you know how they get on. Obviously the SBG have more roll resistance but as my daughter is only 11 and doesn´t weigh much this maybe should not be too much of a problem and will help her gain confidence on the bends. The only real way to find out is by trying!