S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM   #21
Code Monkey

mickeyB,

Let me know how it goes with them.

Tonight I am going out on my 5x84s, tomorrow night I will put on those 110 instruments of torture. Oh the pain.

I had a dream last night that the only way you can really skate in 110s is if you have feet like O/Is', so I went to my garage and got out my 9 pound hammer and just pummeled my feet to an inch of my life, then went skating. Didn't help. Why it worked for him, I do not know.

Hey how's your achilles?
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #22
mikeyb

Long healed. Ready for another tough boot.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:46 AM   #23
online inline

Code, you might consider picking a set-up and sticking with it. There is a lot of refinement in form, and if you are still perfecting it, i makes a lot of sense to keep large variables constant so you can focus on technique, not the major differences between radically different set-ups. For me, even changing the thickness of a wheel is a big deal, keeping the frames and wheel sizes constant. I figure i need at least a week to make even that small change and acclimate to it.

There's a strategy to picking your frame size, and i'd focus in on one that is challenging but still able for you to skate it with good form for a reasonalby long distance. Then i'd focus all energy on becoming even more proficient on it. Once you do, you could trade up to an even more challenging frame. Just my way of doing things, and maybe you could benefit from it. But keep skating and have a ball.

And by the way, my feet are in great shape these days. My toe nails will never be any better and it's just cosmetic. No foot pain, no swelling, callouses in all the right places. I'm good to go. They look bad but work like a charm. My beat up feet were from a fit problem that has been remedied by master Dave S. himself. Now all is well. The frames did not cause any of the problems.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM   #24
Code Monkey

Picking a frame and sticking to it?! Oh I wish I could but that takes way to much discipline. And how would I decide which one to choose? I need more feet. I know you are correct, damn it, ... so how do you pick a frame? I am six foot tall and weigh 195-200 lbs. Size 12 foot. And sort of weird.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #25
Code Monkey

Ok, OI ... you have about two hours to decide on a frame size for me! Cogitate!
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #26
mikeyb

Code-ster, we know all that stuff.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #27
online inline

Code, i thought more about this after i posted and realized that it ultimately depends on your goals. If you want to go have fun and just screw around, skate whatever you want whenever you want.
If, however, you want to develop better form, you need to focus on doing just that, and in order to do so, you need to hone in and cut out the extraneous distractions, like getting used to constantly changing frames.

So, assuming your interests lie more in developing form to die for, i'd pick either of two divergent paths: either 4 wheel or 5 wheel. Both are valid and have their devotees. Then just find the frame in that series in which you can skate for a medium distance with good form, but maybe not be able to skate with for a long distance. Then start working on it. Increase your distances, resting if you find form deteriating. Build it up until you get do 26+ with good form every time.

I can't believe how much very subtle manipulations of my stride and body positioning yield differences in performance. This becomes just about a constant focus. Fine tuning of this sort are not possible for me if i'm not zeroed into how to make my gear respond.

And this winter in particular, i have come to realize how much the element of strength can facilitate effective form. I have come to firmly believe that significant core and lower body strength is just about a necessity in order to sustain good outdoor (read: doublepush) skating form. At a certain level, my time was better spent concentrating on technique, but as the major kinks have been worked out of my technique, strength and conditioning have been instrumental in putting it all together and being able to sustain it over long distances.

Remember, no one is saying you have to pick a frame for eternity. As you become proficient and master one frame, you can always move onto a more challenging one. Maybe a progression like that might only take 5 months, but i know i never would have ironed out some of my form issues if i was changing frames on a weekly basis.

Someone else might approach it differently, but that's just my way of going about it.
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #28
Code Monkey

Thanks OI,

Last night I was measuring out frames and found that the 3x100 1x84 and the 5x84 measured the same height wise and close length wise. So I opted for the 3x100 1x84. The 3x110 1x90 is about a centimeter taller which didn't seem like a lot but then I notice a big difference once I get my frames adjusted and I mean just tweaking by a millimeter or two. Plus I know I can't go anymore than four miles on the 110s. So I am going to heed your advice and I chose the 3x100 1x84. I know it's a long way off but I am trying to catch you and draft behind you awhile until I see you tiring and then pull your shorts down and then take off like a wild animal. Hopefully it won't be as shocking as your feet.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #29
Code Monkey

mickeyB,

A bearing seriously worth considering for handling wet weather is the ceramic bearings from Adamsinline. I skated in them this morning and it was pouring out. Pitch black and pouring rain. Gees, I can't wait for good weather and daylight to skate in. But I found a really fun place to skate, it is the parking lot of Home Depot with adjoining stores. Oh my god the pavement is so smooth. It was really tricky this morning but I went out on my 5x84 with MPC silvers on and those babies just eat rain. I even tried to slip and really had a hard time. So this morning I ordered a couple of sets for my 3x100 1x84 frame and also got another 3x100 1x84 frame made by Millinium just to have almost two identical setups. Anyway, bearing wise, Adam was correct in saying ceramics hold up better in wet or at least his do. Today at work, I put them in the cleaner without taking them apart (mineral spirits) and then dried them with blow dryer. Then I put in a teflon dry lube that I got at the local bike shop. It is sort of weird because the lube looks dry but man do those bearings spin. They just won't stop. I don't know how the lube will hold up or if it is good to use but the bearings spin much better, it just makes me curious why no one pushes the dry teflon lube and just gels or oils. Now the dry teflon lube does not quiet the bearings like the gel or oil but they spin a whole lot better. I was told by the bike shop owner that I will notice that my bearings will not get as dirty as quickly with the dry teflon lube and it lasts much longer than gels or oils. Without question the ceramics spin longer. Now how that translates to skating performance I don't know yet but I will let you know.
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #30
online inline

Code, a 3x100 is a very versatile frame, and i think that is an excellent choice. with only four contact points, it rolls noticably better than a 5x84 over distances, but is still quite managable with the smaller wheel in the second position.

Now you need to define your objective and understand the challenge you are trying to overcome, or maybe their's several. From there, i'd devise a strategy in terms of training. I'd even be bit of a dolt about it. Make sure you can state each in one sentence, and don't just pass it off as 'well, you know..'

Then i'd develop a a training plan in which about every third session expands the boundary you are trying to surpass. If it's being able to skate the 3x100 for 26 miles without your form collapsing (or having to stop due to leg pain), i;d make every third skate session one in which you set out to better your last mark. This will take discipline, becuase you may need to pull back several notches for th first few miles in order to sustain yourself to go the distance. But that is the goal, and skating that session in anyother way will just set you up for failure. So if that's the goal, don't worry about going your fastest in that session, and don't worry if your pace is slowed way down. You need to stretch your boundary, and to really do that, you need to isolate what you are working on, and crush that barrier.

Also, another workout may be to do specific drills selected to strengthen your technique and/or conditioning necesary for you to skate in the way you need to in order for you to meet your goal.

I mention the distance hurdle because i think i recall you mentioning previously that you had a hard time going the distance in 3x110 without falling prey to leg pain.

Good luck.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #31
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

CM, Please give a follow-up report on the teflon dry lube and how it holds up with skateing in wet conditions. I seldom skate in wet conditions unless I get caught out on a skate. When I've just got to skate and it's wet, I go on my junk skates.

I've used the teflon dry lube by "Finish Line" here in Florida for years and it cut my bearing maintenence by more than half. Some time's I clean & lube out of guilt rather than because they are dirty.

After cleaning, I will lube & skate 2 to 3 times before I feel they are maxed out speed-wise, but then they are good for months. The only thing I do is brush the dust off them after each skate and rotate the wheel every 2 weeks. This may vary depending on the number of miles rolled.

You are right about being a little more noisey than with cream or jell lube, but the trade off of less bearing cleaning makes it worthwhile.

Let me know how teflon holds up in the rain.

LezSk8!
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #32
Code Monkey

Lesk8,

That's the name! I couldn't remember. I started using the same stuff you are. I went out this morning and afterwards I think the wheels spin even better.

No rain in the forecast, YEA!!!
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #33
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

I have now put on around 120 miles since I started skating without the top buckle ratcheted, and I feel that I am ready for the speed skates. At first I was skating with my toe curled to compensate for the lack of control but I started hearing voices in my head of O/I laughing at me while chanting "monkey feet, monkey feet" so I stopped that bad habit before it started. It is because I am now not relying on the upper boot cuff for support that I am able to "feel" the frame alignment, and I see I need to move my right one in just a little. Also my feet are moving around to much and I am starting to have to deal with a blister on my left foot.
I hope my boots hold out until the new ones come in mid march.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #34
Code Monkey

BWI,

From my experience when I went from a Fitness boot to a speed skate boot it was a joy. I felt so much control. Every stroke, however small, I could feel power generated. Do what you think is best but my idea is to skate like your boots are meant to be used and just workout like you have been doing which is excellent. Stay away from injury. I have a feeling that when you get those speed skate boots you are going to do like I did and skate yourself crazy. You will laugh out loud. Then you will feel great and foot pain will be just part of the fun. Just massage your feet around any blistered areas. Do like runners do and roll your foot back and forth on foot massagers you can find many places. Look into ezee fit booties or something similar.

You are going to get on those speed skates and never get off.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #35
janneman

Default TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
You are now the Imelda Marcos of the skating world
- i think too... but sheer envy plays a role too... TMI
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #36
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

CM, That's good news on the "no rain" and the dry lube. As previously posted a 2nd or 3rd application should improve the roll and reduce any noise. Then you are good to go for a long time if rain doesn't have adverse effects. Enjoy!

LezSk8!