S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Kino Lumiere

Default FIRS certified track

I represent a group wishing to build a FIRS certified 200 meter track. I need construction plans and specifications to be able to do this. These plans cost a fee of 1,000 Euro for the full plans & specifications, and after it's built there is a certification charge. That's right, they want to gouge us for plans to a $100,000 track so that we can help them build the sport! These construction plans and specifications should be provided to the public free of charge. If anyone has these plans and disagrees with this policy please send me a copy.
Thank you.
Kino Lumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Is it the International Roller Sports Federation (FIRS) that wants to charge you 1000 Euros - $1300 USD - for the skating track plans?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Kino Lumiere

FIRS charges for the plans, that is correct.

Last edited by Kino Lumiere; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

The price of actual blue prints is very expensive. If I wanted blue prints that I could take to my county to get approval for a 1 car garage would be on the order of $100-$200 (again these are stock plans).
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I'm not an engineer, but could some kind of sufficiently detailed specifications be posted on the Web for free downloading by clubs and regional skating organizations?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Kino Lumiere

We arn't building a private track, this is non-profit for public consumption. I can't tell people that I'm going to build something that I don't have the blue prints for. So I should go out and do fundraising for a track plan to a track that may or may not get finnancing. And when FIRS changes the track standard (again) then the plans I have become obsolete, and the track that I built needs expensive alteration. If FIRS cares about building the sport they should give out the blue prints for free, and then if the track gets built they can add that charge to the cost of certification.
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
janneman

Question specs, blueprints, standards

Well - i know nothing about FIRS, but i know a lot about habits of building, specifications and drawings....
(i grew up practically under the drawing table of an architect and i have a technical degree myself)

I suppose that FIRS has a set of specifications or better: a standard that describes their requirements of when a track can be certified.

Standards are most often free or just at the cost of copywork. Otherwise they cant be standard, because one can only standardise if knowledge is public and shared.

Something else is actual building drawings and blueprints. Architects and/or design engineers take lots of time (and hence money) to make them - and generally that investment is not given out freely.
Nevertheless... i have made drawings in the past just as a friends gift. And if i had drawings for my garage, I would not have a problem to post them on the internet for anybody to use. What have i got to loose?

So if you could find a friended other track organisation, maybe they are willing for you to make copies - to see if you can get around all formal hurdles like financing and gouvernmental approval.