S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum > Advertising Forum Guidelines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Best way to limit the number of "Wheels for Sale" threads?

I think we need to place a limit on the number of "Wheels for Sale" threads a skate shop or individual can create in this subforum. I have thought of several possibilities...

Idea #1 - we allow each user only one "wheels for sale" post per day, per week, or per month.

Idea #2 - each user can create one "Wheels for Sale" thread, and all of their posts must be made in that thread. Those threads could either remain alive forever, or be deleted every month.

Idea #3 - We could create a thread for each wheel maker (or alternatively, each maker/model) and users would have to post in one in those threads. The threads would be sorted alphabetically by maker.

I kind of like #3 because it seems the most buyer friendly.

Opinions?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #2
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
I prefer to keep all the wheels for sale in one post.
You mean option #2 above? Each user has their own thread and they have to always post in that thread?

- Kathie
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
ncsk8rgirl

yes, essentially.

They can modify the post as items are sold/added. I think it will help keep cluter down to a min.
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
73watermutt
I skate in circles

I don't know, I think it is fine just like it is right now. If it becomes to difficult and involved to sell on here then alot might just stick to the bay. If I was to choose any of the options though it would be option #2.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

What would be the drawbacks to having a thread for each maker/model? If we did that, sellers could either post in those threads or not, depending on how motivated they were to sell in our forum. We are more interested in making a buyer-friendly site then a seller-friendly site (although of course it would be great if we could achieve both!)

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
ncsk8rgirl

There are so many kinds and types of wheels that it would be a LOT to weed through not to mention that some stuff is really hard to tell (for some) exactly what it is.... ie the whole labeda/vangard/vanbeda debate and the like.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #7
73watermutt
I skate in circles

exactly, Bethany hit the nail right on the head. If any I say go with #2.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I vote for idea #1. Maybe one per week? If a person wants to sell multiple sets, they can all be listed in that one post. Or one per day, I don't really care too much.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #9
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

The big questions to all of these changes are:

To help moderators from spending too much time managing forums.

To prevent arguments from happening.

To help forum members find what information or items that want to buy or need.

Kathie, it all sound good to me but is it going to help you and Jessica and the server with all of these changes. Is there something else I'm missing? Change is good and it seems you are trying to make it more user friendly but will it become more of a burden to the moderators.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #10
ncsk8rgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I vote for idea #1. Maybe one per week? If a person wants to sell multiple sets, they can all be listed in that one post. Or one per day, I don't really care too much.

that would work as well... I think that one post where they can list multiple items if need be is really the way to go. How long it stays active is not really a concern to me.
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Srt-in-it
SEDS patient # 187

On a few other sites they have it regulated by each user only having 1 active FS: thread in each catagory... The seller would have to edit it or delete it if he or she wants to add to it or if there item sells....
Old November 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #12
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Auto aging

Can you make posts auto-delete after x days? 14 days seems plenty, and a user can re-list after that.
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Nathan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Can you make posts auto-delete after x days? 14 days seems plenty, and a user can re-list after that.
I like that idea, but also having the threads list by date created rather than date last posted...

I think by adding sub-forums for brand is going to be a bit much...
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #14
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

I think listings should stand for 1 week. If they don't sell, let the person wait one week before re-posting. If it's a hot item it won't be a problem anyway. Also what about 2 sub forums in the quad wheel section. Vintage and current wheels. That would make things more simple for searching. Just my 2 cents
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #15
niteridr95

honestly i think the whole orginazation thing is getting out of hand and making it more difficult to see whats for sale... the main reason you seem to keep hitting on is these"skate shops" well there really isnt that many skate shops selling certain things on this forum.. except off the edge but most of the stuff he sells is still his one used stuff... mostly everything you see is just people that have way to much skate equipment... just because they have 20-30+ sets of wheels has nothing to do with if they are a skate shop or not... everyone on here just has alot of things... if it is that its getting to be to much of a hassle for you to go threw the for sale section or something for that matter then do like the other forums and let others help moderate and keep it clean... most forums that are smaller then this one have multiple admins and mods to keep it running smooth and to keep the rules obeyed and the fighting down
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #16
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
the main reason you seem to keep hitting on is these"skate shops" well there really isnt that many skate shops selling certain things on this forum.. mostly everything you see is just people that have way to much skate equipment... just because they have 20-30+ sets of wheels has nothing to do with if they are a skate shop or not... everyone on here just has alot of things...
100% agreed with niteridr95

Thanks to this forum I now have over 20+ sets of wheels in only 3 months..

My 2 cents: I like the single for sale sub-forum.. It was all on 1 page and easy to navigate.. Now the mods have to police 3+ sub-forums. Why make more work

Cheers!
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #17
zinger
Hey, Mergatroid!

For whatever my two cents are worth, I buy regularly from SkateLog Forum members and prefer the single "For Sale" sub-forum.

That being said, I realize that as monitors of the forum you're attempting to create an environment that is friendly to all users, which is of course, no small feat. Whichever approach you ultimately implement, thanks for your efforts.
zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #18
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Change is inevitable, except from Vending machines---Fortune Cookie

I wasn't sure I liked the seperated "For Sale" threads, until I spent the last three days checking them. It made it much simpler for me to navigate.

Quads?;; Peek in.. nope nothing in my size..

Wheels?:: Peek in.. Nope nothing I'm really interested in.

etc.,
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #19
JamSkateAddiction
The Sponge

Default just some newbie input :D

I know I am a newbie to this forum but I am always shopping on here for stuff. IMO I like the threads just how they are with the categories broke down for everything. Personally breaking it down anymore would be confusing and a lot of work. There are sooooo many different types of wheels. I do like the suggestion of the vintage and current subs though. I think making it to where people can only post one a day or a month would kinda slow everything down. People are always buying and trading on here and most people on here have more wheels than they know what to do with. I just think it would slow everything down. And with the everyone has one thread deal that would become a pain because then people would have to go into each one and check what all is new for that person all the time. It just seems easier for everyone if it is just kept how it is. Less to go through and less for mods to manage. Keep it how it is and make it to where no one can reply in that post they have to send a private message so the list is always in order on the newest stuff posted. Then people can just go through the pages. Also it would be nice if the poster could delete there created thread. Then all they would have to do is delete it after the product is sold thus keeping managing down more on mods. Just my two cents
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #20
tonyz
Near North

I vote for keep it as 'simple as possible' I used to check three areas quite regularly; 'For Sale', 'Want to Buy' and 'Ebay Finds' several times a day and could see quickly what was new, which I thought was very quick and efficient. Currently its a little more work looking at more sub-forums so I find myself not looking as much, or as deep into the posts. If it gets more complicated than this my head may start spinning
My humble 2
and Kathie, Thanks for a Great place for skaters to congregate!!
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote