S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum > Advertising Forum Guidelines
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Rogzilla

Default Am I at risk for getting screwed on this transaction?

I just received a payment from an Australian buyer. He said he did not have a Paypal confirmed address because he can only get a PO box where he lives (Broome). Also, instead of sending me a payment for goods, he sent it to me as a gift.

Can I potentially be screwed by this? Can he file a dispute or create a chargeback through Paypal if it was a gift payment?

I told him I would have the package in the mail in a couple of days (this detail was worked out before he sent payment), so I have some time in which to consider the transaction. If I feel that I'm at risk I'm going to refund his money.

(Note: this transaction did not occur through this forum so you don't need to spend time figuring out who it is.)
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post
I just received a payment from an Australian buyer. He said he did not have a Paypal confirmed address because he can only get a PO box where he lives (Broome). Also, instead of sending me a payment for goods, he sent it to me as a gift.

Can I potentially be screwed by this? Can he file a dispute or create a chargeback through Paypal if it was a gift payment?

I told him I would have the package in the mail in a couple of days (this detail was worked out before he sent payment), so I have some time in which to consider the transaction. If I feel that I'm at risk I'm going to refund his money.

(Note: this transaction did not occur through this forum so you don't need to spend time figuring out who it is.)
As far as sending the money as a gift I don't think so. When you send money as a gift you don't have to pay the PayPal fees. Maybe your patron knew that and wanted you to get the full amount of the payment.

Go ahead and withdraw the money from PayPal to your bank account. Once the PayPal transfer is complete and the money is deposited from PayPal into your bank account then send the product. It would be a good idea to also let your patron know that there are some things about the transaction that you are not familiar with (i.e. gift transaction, etc.) and that as soon as the PayPal transfer is complete to your financial institution you will ship the product the same day. Ask your patron if that will be a problem.

This way everyone knows what is going on.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM   #3
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

If you have tracking information, you can just put it into Paypal. If you need further confirmation, add signature requests or any of those other options.

Just keep records of what you sent, emails you may have, and receipts for the delivery for 60 days (i think that's Paypal's limit on disputes).
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Hot Lips

I can shed some local(ish) light on the address situation.

"Can only get a PO box" isn't true, but may just be a miscommunication - you can always provide a physical, residential address, but your mail may just be kept at the post office if you don't have regular mail delivery (not uncommon in the Australian country - true of my parents' home, for example). I used to mail stuff to "My Best Friend, The Figs, Gundaroo, 2490" - all fictional stuff, but if it had the name of the farm on it, it got to her. I CAN mail stuff to my parents at "Mum and Dad, Purple Mountain Road, Telescope Point, 3081" - which is their street address - and again, it'll end up at the post office. They have a PO box for Official Things (bank statements and so forth), so I normally send stuff to that, just so they can get it when the post office is shut. But a PO box is secure.

The important bit is actually this: it is harder to get an address confirmed with Paypal in Australia than in the United States. It requires that you have your credit card linked to your account, rather than just debiting from your bank account, or that you actually open a line of credit with Paypal (reference). The other option, non-credit based, is US only. Given my state of perpetual studenthood, I only got my Australian address confirmed with Paypal when I got a credit card about 2 years ago, despite having and using an account for 5+ years.

So, in short, I don't see anything fishy about the address situation.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #5
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Hot Lips I was thinking of the same thing when I got back on here.

There are towns here just outside of metro Atlanta that won't allow mail to go to the physical address, so all mail must go to the PO Box.
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Rogzilla

For future reference, here's what the Paypal transaction says about my level of protection.
Quote:
Seller Protection:
Partially Eligible

Protection for items not received
When you ship to the address on this page and provide proof that the item was delivered and signed for, you're protected against claims for items not received. For complete requirements, see terms.

No protection for unauthorized payments
Because X's address isn't confirmed, you won't be protected if this turns out to be an unauthorized payment.

Before shipping, we recommend that you contact X to make sure this payment was authorized. Most of the time, shipping to an unconfirmed address is fine. But, we always encourage you to help protect yourself.

For more information, see our tips to sell securely.
Rogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Fresh Eddie Fresh

I would think technically the buyer could get ripped off if a dishonest seller said "What goods? They gave me money as a gift." I see more and more transactions with payment being sent as a gift to reverse the fees... I am thinking PayPal should have some sort of option to buy something but pay the fee as opposed to using the gift route.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #8
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

If you send money as a gift, you can not dispute or cancell the transaction. you have nothing to worry about.
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote