S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #1
AceGTX
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default Seba KSJ vs. Seba High (deluxe)

Hey all,

I'm a long time skater/beginner slalomer and I'm deciding on whether to buy KSJ's or High deluxes. I was wondering if anyone had some experience comparing these two skates.

Originally, I was pretty set on buying a pair of deluxes from skatecrazy and getting them shipped to Canada (where I live), but incidently I'm China at the moment, and I really want a pair of slalom skates asap I found some Seba KSJ's for sale on this chinese website called taobao.com selling for about 2800 RMB (about 400 dollars - which is around the price of deluxes). So, in addition to my KSJ/High deluxe comparison question, I'm wondering if anyone also has any experience buying KSJ's in asia/from taobao (I'm not sure whether the KSJ's in China are the same as the original)

Thanks in advance!
AceGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Infinity
Bayside Team Slalom
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 91
Default

I'm guessing the KSJ's sold there are 1st gen.
So basically:

KSJs:
Pros - light, top of the range, high performance.
Cons - expensive (but cheaper in china), non replacible liner, wears out 3x faster than High's.

Highs:
Pros - replacable liner, last longer in durability, great skate in general.
Cons - heavier than KSJ, uses cheaper parts if made in China, but still great skates.
__________________
Bayside Blades - Team Slalom
http://www.baysideblades.com.au
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
AceGTX
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks! very useful info.

I think I'm gonna stick with the Seba Highs then cause I wanna keep them for as long as possible.
AceGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM   #4
GregT
Senior Member
 
GregT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA -- US
Posts: 396
Default

I think Seba High Deluxe would be a good choice as well. The first generation KSJ had a problem with a weak support bracket that could break. I saw the next generation KSJ's last weekend at BattleUS in San Francisco and they look much more sturdy. And from what I heard from people using them, they really like the new skate.

I saw a ton of Seba Igors at BattleUS, so that appears to be the more popular skate in the US at the moment. Both Igors and KSJ are similar in that they will be lighter and narrower and stiffer than the Seba Highs, and neither have a liner. As Infinity says, however, they will probably not last as long as the very durable Seba Highs.

From my conversations at BattleUS, it would appear the Igors provide more control for technical tricks than the Seba Highs, but they are not as comfortable, so you are less likely to want to wear them all day.

One note - you might want to be careful about buying the skates in China, as I believe I've heard that there are cheaper Asia versions of the skate, fitted with less expensive parts to accomodate the local market (though I could be wrong about this). $400 sounds like a lot for skates, but that is pretty low for a pair of KSJs.

As you are a beginner, I would recommend the Seba Highs. You could go with the Carbons, but I think the normal boot should be fine. If you have the extra cash, I would definitely recommend the "Deluxe" version, which is the same as the Seba High, but with the upgraded Deluxe frame. The standard frame is fine, but I looove (love love) the deluxe frame. Butter.

I also recommend you buy at SkateCrazy, as they will walk you through a process of precisely measuring your feet to ensure you start with the correct boot size. Other shops will just give you a chart to match shoe size to skate, and that can often be a big mistake. Proper (and tight) fit for a slalom skate is very important.

And be ready for 1 to 1.5 months of break-in pain as the stiff memory liner molds to your foot. The stiffness of the liner makes break-in unpleasant, but you should be rewarded with an excellent, tight, comfortable, and durable fit for a long time afterward.

good luck.

Last edited by GregT; June 22nd, 2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added comment
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Infinity
Bayside Team Slalom
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia, Melbourne
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
$400 sounds like a lot for skates, but that is pretty low for a pair of KSJs.

As you are a beginner, I would recommend the Seba Highs. You could go with the Carbons, but I think the normal boot should be fine. If you have the extra cash, I would definitely recommend the "Deluxe" version, which is the same as the Seba High, but with the upgraded Deluxe frame
KSJ's sold in China are the same you buy anywhere else except it's that much cheaper. But you are right, some High models are cheaper made.

The Deluxe frames arn't any different to the standard 7000 except that it's more stiff so it feels easier to do some techincal wheeling tricks.
Weight wise it's lighter but you won't feel any difference.
__________________
Bayside Blades - Team Slalom
http://www.baysideblades.com.au
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #6
GregT
Senior Member
 
GregT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA -- US
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
The Deluxe frames arn't any different to the standard 7000 except that it's more stiff so it feels easier to do some techincal wheeling tricks.
Weight wise it's lighter but you won't feel any difference.
I agree that the difference in weight will probably not be noticeable. And yes, the stiffer frame helps (to me, it just feels better, even for non-technical stuff).

One other advantage, though, is significantly beefed-up support arches on the frame. Originally, I had the standard frames on my Seba Highs. Unfortunately, I broke some of the support arches on both of the 7000 frames while doing off-label tricks (stalls, jumps). The frames were still useable, but considerably less stiff after the support structures were compromised.

On the Deluxe frame, the support arches have been strengthened considerably. This would lead me to believe that the Deluxe frames are much more durable. And my experience has born this out, as I've had no problem with the frames since switching to the upgraded model.

Anywho, the 7000 frames are still fine for slalom. Just don't treat them like an aggro skate.
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Cowry
Senior Member
 
Cowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Groningen
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
I saw a ton of Seba Igors at BattleUS, so that appears to be the more popular skate in the US at the moment
Don't forget that a lot of Europeans who where there where wearing these skates aswell, not just US skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
From my conversations at BattleUS, it would appear the Igors provide more control for technical tricks than the Seba Highs, but they are not as comfortable, so you are less likely to want to wear them all day.
You clearly didn't talk to me about them... I'd love to wear them all day, for me, they have a better fit then the highs, and they had no break in period at all! I love them, since day 1
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #8
GregT
Senior Member
 
GregT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA -- US
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowry View Post
Don't forget that a lot of Europeans who where there where wearing these skates aswell, not just US skaters
Yes, I noticed that too. But I was expecting that, as I'd like to think that European skaters are better than US skaters solely due to superior equipment. And not due to more practice, better training, more talent. But, jees, the whole Seattle crowd was wearing Igors too (except Jeremy in his KSJs)! SkateCrazy must have been giving them away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowry View Post
You clearly didn't talk to me about them... I'd love to wear them all day, for me, they have a better fit then the highs, and they had no break in period at all! I love them, since day 1
No, I forgot to ask your opinion. I'm really glad, though, to hear they were comfortable for you at the start. To be honest, I've shredded the liner on my old skates, and Naomi says I need 243 frames, so I'm thinking of buying a new pair. The Igors sound promising, but I do so love love my Seba Highs. Oh, decisions . . .
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #9
jojoman
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 61
Default

if u are in china
u can get
ticoo.com skate.come with rocker set up
or
Radius skate, come with rocker set up
and much cheaper than Seba FR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGTX View Post
Hey all,

I'm a long time skater/beginner slalomer and I'm deciding on whether to buy KSJ's or High deluxes. I was wondering if anyone had some experience comparing these two skates.

Originally, I was pretty set on buying a pair of deluxes from skatecrazy and getting them shipped to Canada (where I live), but incidently I'm China at the moment, and I really want a pair of slalom skates asap I found some Seba KSJ's for sale on this chinese website called taobao.com selling for about 2800 RMB (about 400 dollars - which is around the price of deluxes). So, in addition to my KSJ/High deluxe comparison question, I'm wondering if anyone also has any experience buying KSJ's in asia/from taobao (I'm not sure whether the KSJ's in China are the same as the original)

Thanks in advance!
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.