S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old August 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1
kufman

Default Power Trak, Proline, other?

So..... I know I will get a thousand different opinions here, but what plate do people like the best for quad speed? I have skated on a Laser for years but I don't really like it that much. I have also skated on Sunlites and Power Traks. Don't like the Sunlites much, but the Power Tracks feel pretty good. Haven't tried a Proline but lots of people seem to like them.

Also, Is there a major advantage to either 7mm or 8mm axles? As many of your know, I am mostly an inline skater so I have a ton of 8mm bearings. Keeping that portion of the equipment the same would be nice.

Let the floods of opinions begin!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Malcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
So..... I know I will get a thousand different opinions here, but what plate do people like the best for quad speed? I have skated on a Laser for years but I don't really like it that much. I have also skated on Sunlites and Power Traks. Don't like the Sunlites much, but the Power Tracks feel pretty good. Haven't tried a Proline but lots of people seem to like them.

Also, Is there a major advantage to either 7mm or 8mm axles? As many of your know, I am mostly an inline skater so I have a ton of 8mm bearings. Keeping that portion of the equipment the same would be nice.

Let the floods of opinions begin!!
I have skated the power trac and proline both I prefer the proline.
Malcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
FarmTruk
rusty bones

If you're leaning towards the ProLine, but want to use your 8mm bearing stash, may want to look at the Reactor.

Less $, and 8mm-friendly.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
starspike
put it on my loud account

the new proline comes with 7 or 8mm axles you just have to specify when ordering
[retired] your mom mens derby #314
starspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #5
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by starspike View Post
the new proline comes with 7 or 8mm axles you just have to specify when ordering
That was one of the things that caught my eye. Being support at only one end, it seems that you would like to have the thickest axle possible for strength.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #6
starspike
put it on my loud account

if you have the money get the proline. you wont be disappointed.
on another note dante told me 7mm bearings are faster
[retired] your mom mens derby #314
starspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #7
FarmTruk
rusty bones

Quote:
That was one of the things that caught my eye. Being support at only one end, it seems that you would like to have the thickest axle possible for strength.
7mm axles typically are made of better steel, compensating for, and in some cases surpassing, the strength of many 8mm axles.

Think of it as a case where bigger is not necessarily better.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default My 2 cents

Ok

If you can track down a Boen or Galaxy, go for them. But very rare to find.

Failing that, skatelogger Flemo004 sells Lazer X tech plates, which are basically a copy of a Boen Speed.

Very nice!!!!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #9
niteridr95

i say proline... reactor is the same mainly just made cheaper and 8mm axles.... as long as you have good 8mm bearings you shouldnt notice a huge difference...if possible a ultimate III they are mag and made for speed but they are hard to find... i do agree on the galaxy being great... ive got one that needs some work id be willing to sell... just needs pivot cups replaced
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #10
cass38a

Don't think that 8mm are better, the bearings never fit properly on "almost 8mm" axels and they are not any stronger than a quality 7mm, not to mention that Ti and flip axels are only availabe in 7mm.

IMO all the plates availabe new (except x tech mentioned above) suck.............Toe Stops, 8mm axels, no clips etc.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #11
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
It seems that they use pretty bad materials for 8mm axles. It seems to me that 8mm should be quite a bit stronger, like maybe times 8/7 or even 64/49 (couldn't find the actual formula), but it doesn't actually work out that way.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #12
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Go with the Pro-Line. You will not regret it.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #13
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Matt, if you don't want to put a lot of money in the plates, take a look at the Nova. The geometry is close to the Pro-Line. Luke Biggerstaff has skated his for more than two years now.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #14
kufman

Ok, I went out on a limb and bought the new version of the Power Tracs. They have aluminum trucks instead of the plastic ones and they have several choices for cushion durameter. I should see them early next week. If I really feel the need to use my 8mm bearings, I do have those little sleeve things that do a crude job of adapting 7mm axles to 8mm bearings. Thank you everyone for your input and for keeping this thread informative.
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Ewwwww

Quote:
If I really feel the need to use my 8mm bearings, I do have those little sleeve things that do a crude job of adapting 7mm axles to 8mm bearings. Thank you everyone for your input and for keeping this thread informative.
You'll quickly come to hate those. They don't fit right, and even the best bearings you own will feel awful.

Invest $30-$40 in some decent 7mm bearings. The fit on the axle is better than any you'll find with an 8mm setup. If you're going to spend all that money on a good speed plate, why cheap out on the bearings?
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #16
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
You'll quickly come to hate those. They don't fit right, and even the best bearings you own will feel awful.

Invest $30-$40 in some decent 7mm bearings. The fit on the axle is better than any you'll find with an 8mm setup. If you're going to spend all that money on a good speed plate, why cheap out on the bearings?
I have some relatively decent 7mm bones swiss. They are old and the shields have fallen off (pressed on type not the clip type) but they are still working ok. I will probably buy a new set for the new skates. Thanks for the PM DVW, I will keep it in mind.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Rob

Quote:
Ok, I went out on a limb and bought the new version of the Power Tracs. They have aluminum trucks instead of the plastic ones and they have several choices for cushion durameter. I should see them early next week. If I really feel the need to use my 8mm bearings, I do have those little sleeve things that do a crude job of adapting 7mm axles to 8mm bearings. Thank you everyone for your input and for keeping this thread informative.
I just updated my old Hyper Power-tracs with the new white aluminum trucks. I installed them and am looking forward to skating them.

Enjoy your new Power-tracs!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote