S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #21
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlyn76 View Post
I should be there *next* year. Child care issues this year, plus I'm sure I can use another year to work on conditioning...

-ben
Sorry you can't make it. Hope to see you next year.
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #22
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

Should I get a fresh set of wheels for the race? I have maybe 150 miles on the factory hyper 84A wheels that came on my skates. Some of the wheels don't have a great profile from toe flick and dragging them to stop. Was thinking Bont G3 or better in 86a.
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #23
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwheelies View Post
Should I get a fresh set of wheels for the race? I have maybe 150 miles on the factory hyper 84A wheels that came on my skates. Some of the wheels don't have a great profile from toe flick and dragging them to stop. Was thinking Bont G3 or better in 86a.
As someone who probably knows just enough to be dangerous, 150 miles is very little use, even for 84A wheels with some uneven profiles. For an event like this, it's hard to say if new wheels would make any real difference to the end result for someone who is not a pro/elite skater. At a minimum, I would make sure the wheels with the largest diameter (have a caliper?) and the best profiles are in the 1 and 4 positions, and make sure the sides most worn face the outside.

That said, it's always nice to have fresh, top quality wheels for a race, and the increased roll from harder wheels would probably be the prime reason to get some new ones for the race. And sooner or later, you'll need to replace those Hypers. So you can buy new race wheels now with the plan that they will become your replacement wheels for training once the Hypers are ready to go. So it look at it as an advance purchase on your next set of wheels.

Having skated the course twice this summer (first on my stock Hyper XTR wheels -84a, and the second on Bont HR Mints -85a), I wouldn't go harder than 85a. The course has a few stretches, primarily on the southern/bottom end of the loop, where it's a bit rough. Any extra hardness will provide for a harsher ride and contribute to fatigue. IMHO. If you do decide to get some new wheels, and you're looking for 100mm wheels, I have a set of brand new Bont HR Mints (85A) I'm selling for $55, including shipping. So if you're interested, let me know soon. They'll go out priority mail, which means you'll get them in 1-2 days.
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #24
2old2sk8t

Default What a great time to get sick!

Of course after being in the peak of health all summer, I went through a period last week at work where I had to put long hours in day after day, with a lot of travel, little sleep, and a lot of extra stress. Probably my most stressful week ever in 10 years on this job. So sure enough, I come down with a nasty cold this weekend. Just what I needed less than a week before the race. As long I manage to avoid getting something like bronchitis in the meantime, I should be well enough by race day. Just hope my energy level is back to normal by Saturday. Uggh. Oh well. C'est la vie!
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM   #25
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

I feel you 2old.. ive had a bothersome cold for about a week, not to bad, but just bad enough to be annoying!

Also, Ill have Hyper wheels for sale, $80 bucks a set 100 or 110's.. only a limited number of 100's though..
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM   #26
Guns840
P.T.H.D

I'll be grabbing some wheels where are you setting up your booth Jimmy
-Tim
Guns840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM   #27
Dcrozier

Default Any basic advice for a first timer in Rec division?

Hey,

First trip to NYC on Sat. Never skated the route before. It was interesting to read about this downhill. Not sure I'm a fan of that :-) Is it more than a rec skater can handle?

While I want to skate the best time possible, I understand my role and place in the event and look forward to watching the pros do their thing.

Anything else you guys can think of that might help a first timer? I'm driving race morning from Philly. Anything logistics wise you can think of? I assume parking is just a short walk to the start/finish. I saw the directions to the park entrance on Facebook. That was helpful. Are the expo tents still around after the race, when I ready to upgrade? Anything race-wise or travel-wise would be appreciated.

DC
Philly
Dcrozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #28
online inline

the downhill is nothing to worry about, and i can't even remember it, and i would have if it was noteworthy. parking is right there at the event about 100 yards away.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #29
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcrozier View Post
Hey,

First trip to NYC on Sat. Never skated the route before. It was interesting to read about this downhill. Not sure I'm a fan of that :-) Is it more than a rec skater can handle?

While I want to skate the best time possible, I understand my role and place in the event and look forward to watching the pros do their thing.

Anything else you guys can think of that might help a first timer? I'm driving race morning from Philly. Anything logistics wise you can think of? I assume parking is just a short walk to the start/finish. I saw the directions to the park entrance on Facebook. That was helpful. Are the expo tents still around after the race, when I ready to upgrade? Anything race-wise or travel-wise would be appreciated.

DC
Philly
I agree with OI, the hill is not too daunting. Not super steep, and no big turn at the bottom or anything like that. But you'll get some good speed going for sure -- my favorite section of the course. The vendors will be there throughout the race and for awhile afterwards. So you'll have plenty of opportunity to check out new gear.

The parking lot will be on the left, just a few hundred yards after you enter the park at the southeast corner. There is a building right off the parking lot with bathroom facilities. It's a modest walk from there to the starting area, where you can pick up your race packet.

The entrance can be deceiving. It's not really what you may visualize. Fairly narrow and not really marked as a park entrance. In case you haven't done so already, here's a street view of the entrance with Parkside to your left and Ocean Avenue to your right. If you're approaching from Parkside you'll need to make a very sharp left at that intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...11,292.63,,0,5

Good luck. Driving up from Philly Saturday morning?! Man, what time are you leaving?
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #30
2old2sk8t

Default Getting better

Well, it's been a struggle all week healthwise, but I think I'm going to make it. Was on my skates for 20 minutes today, first time since Saturday, just to see how it felt. Energy was low, my lungs were burning getting air due to a touch of bronchitis I developed, and I was sweating like a pig when I finished, even though I didn't push it hard. But I already feel a lot better than I did last night or even this morning. So things are looking up for Saturday. At this point, if I can just finish the race without killing myself or making myself worse, I'll be content. Hope to make it (think I will) and meet you guys.

The high for Saturday is supposed to hit 80F. Even the low at race time should be mid-high 60's. And pure sunshine all day. Going to be a perfect day for a race. Good luck all!
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #31
Dcrozier

Default 3:00am departure time :-)

Hey - Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to bring my bike and do a quick lap just so I know what's coming...

It will be an early morning..I just wasn't sure about hotels. It's a shame the host hotel, day before expo, awards, post-race events aren't a little more centralized....I'm sure that's way easier said, than done...

Many a running marathon morning has start before some Friday night parties are done :-)

Thanks again!

Darren
Dcrozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #32
Veganpotter
Eat your veggies!!!

This is one event I'll definitely do next year too. I'm pooped and my season is now over after my first skating race(too much bike training...not from the skating). I have a feeling the longer distance would suit me better than a marathon as well.
Veganpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #33
Brianwheelies

is there a safe place to stow belongings at the event and is there a water station planned for the event or do you carry water with you?

I will be coming to the event on my motorcycle and will not be able to lock up my stuff. It would also be great to skate without carrying water.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #34
edgeburner

at the last minute i became free and i'm going to make this race! it's my first inline event...ever, and i'm pretty excited. i decided to do the half marathon even though i train at a further distance, just because i want to ease in to it, and ive honestly never really skated in a group with more than 1 other person before. even though i don't feel "advanced" since i run speed skates, that's the division i signed up for. i'm running bont jets with MPC VT XFirm 110mm. my goal is to not come in dead last!
edgeburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #35
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeburner View Post
at the last minute i became free and i'm going to make this race! it's my first inline event...ever, and i'm pretty excited. i decided to do the half marathon even though i train at a further distance, just because i want to ease in to it, and ive honestly never really skated in a group with more than 1 other person before. even though i don't feel "advanced" since i run speed skates, that's the division i signed up for. i'm running bont jets with MPC VT XFirm 110mm. my goal is to not come in dead last!
Great! Sounds like a reasonable approach and goal. Good luck!
Old September 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #36
2old2sk8t

Quote:
is there a safe place to stow belongings at the event and is there a water station planned for the event or do you carry water with you?

I will be coming to the event on my motorcycle and will not be able to lock up my stuff. It would also be great to skate without carrying water.
Brian, You can throw your stuff in my car if you need to.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #37
Brianwheelies

Bob, thanks!

One more issue, will wrist guards be for sale at the event? Didn't realize they were a requirement!
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #38
edgeburner

Are wrist guards necessary? I have skating gloves with hard plastic pieces on the palm area, will that suffice?
edgeburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #39
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Bob, thanks!

One more issue, will wrist guards be for sale at the event? Didn't realize they were a requirement!
A lot of the pros didn't wear any wrist guards at last year's event, so they don't really enforce it. Go look at the photos on the race website, and notice how few wore wrist protection. Foolish IMHO. My observation is all they really care about is the helmets. I have a spare set of Rollerblade Lux, wrist guards I can bring in case anyone makes an issue of it -- but I seriously doubt that.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #40
2old2sk8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeburner View Post
Are wrist guards necessary? I have skating gloves with hard plastic pieces on the palm area, will that suffice?
Those skate gloves are what most of the pros who bothered to wear anything on their wrists at all use. You'll be fine, especially given the lack of enforcement, anyway.