S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old October 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1
JohnJ

Default Introduction and Advice Needed

Hello Everyone!
This is actually the first forum I have found that included quad speed skating and I'm stoked! Yes, I am old. Right up front, let's get that out! I'm 45 and haven't had a decent pair of speed skates in 25 years. Sad really because I had enjoyed it for such a long time, but now like a few of you I have read about, it's comeback time!

I've been skating since the 70's and actively speed skated from 79-85 or so. Spent a lot of that early time at Skate Depot in Cerritos, CA and Skateway in both Cypress and Placentia. The skates would probably be considered ancient by today's standards but I was rolling on Riedell 295's, Lazer plates, Blazer wheels and NMB bearings. Have to say, I absolutely hated the 295 boot. It had some kind of plates in there that took months (maybe years) to callous my feet enough to last a couple of hours in them. Aside from that though, they were light, fast and immense fun!

So fast forward to today. There are line 20 times more of everything available. I remember when there was no internet and the local skate shop and their selection was the best one could do. Now the choices....wow. Riedell seems to have a bazillion models and then trying to consider the best boot/plate combinations....sheesh. I won't even get into the wheels and bearings at this point.

I've been trying to do a lot of reading here to see what is working for you guys and while some of you diehards are still in your original 265's, I'm looking to put together a new set. Budget, would like to stay under 1k but that is flexible. If you tell me that Riedell's boot at $460 is worth it, I am willing to listen. But I would like to hear alternatives as well. I was looking at Bont Quad Racer Carbons. I had never even heard of Bont but I am intrigued.

I would really like to hear about your favorite boot/plate combos if that question is not to broad. One stipulation. Color combos...hate em. Give me black or perhaps black with a tiny bit of white. Other than that, shout out. The wheels and bearings I can deal with later right?

Thanks for the read and look forward to the conversation. Peace.

John -

Last edited by JohnJ; October 29th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

G'day John, welcome to the forum, if you have the budget this is the set up you should consider, Bont quad racer carbon with Boen plates. The photo is down the page, they come in all black if that's what you want.

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...t=31023&page=3

http://bontskates.myshopify.com/collections/quad-boots
Cheers, Nick.

Last edited by Big Nick; October 28th, 2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: links
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #3
JohnJ

Thanks for the reply Nick. Why is it that I get the felling that Aussies have a completely different take on equipment? The Bont is just a great looking boot as I have never worn one and it sure looks like they took the speed skater into account with the design.

If they actively sold Boen new in the USA, I might take a look at them as they are sure discussed here a lot. But from a more practical point, I have been looking at Roll-Line, Powerdyne Reactor and maybe the newer Labeda Pro Line. I'm not sure how the new Labeda line compares to the old, but they made a good plate in the day.

Do all of you do the plate mounting yourselves? I probably have the tools to do it but I am reluctant to spend that kind of money and incorrectly align them. I would have to think that the skate shops online where I am considering buying from, do have the experience to do it right. Well, hopefully!

John -
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #4
scubask8tr

Docsk8 ,and a few others on here do affordable mounting .
The good doctor is also a Bont distributor.
As for plates ,keep asking ,you will probably get many different answers .Try the quad skate forum ,it is frequented a lot more often than here ,by a lot more people.
Good luck in your new quest .
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #5
quadbob

Cool welcome

welcome aboard!
you can still get lasers if you liked them.
i'd just have doc put together a 595 riedell with a new proline, there just as good as the originals. with maybe the exception of the axles. but thats a big maybe, i have a pair of bont quad racers and although a great boot. i believe it is better for outdoors than indoors! but thats just my oppinion. good luck!

bob.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #6
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
welcome aboard!
you can still get lasers if you liked them.
i'd just have doc put together a 595 riedell with a new proline, there just as good as the originals. with maybe the exception of the axles. but thats a big maybe, i have a pair of bont quad racers and although a great boot. i believe it is better for outdoors than indoors! but thats just my oppinion. good luck!

bob.
go with the redline though because the new riedell leather is stiff... the new kangatan riedell leather on the new redlines is much better
Old October 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Armadillo

Default Advice from another "old" speed skater.

Welcome aboard John!

As a 62 year old skater who, until recently only skated outdoor speed, I have recently started to learn indoor quad speed and quad slalom skating.

My indoor speed coach advises LONG WHEELBASE plates with very free turning action. If you still have your Laser plates and they have a decent length wheel base, I suggest you initially just use them on what ever good boot you can find. Then just do a Super Cushion REVERSED cone suspension upgrade:

This will give you a skate build that can do reasonably well with both Quad Speed and with the more turny forms of fun skating too.

-Armadillo
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM   #8
cass38a

No better boot for speed skating than a carbon quad racer from Bont, hands down winner IMO. Australians have been using them for 25 years and the rest of the world is now starting to notice.

We do have a different take on equipment.....we dont use toe stops and like clip/flip axels. If a toe stop is in order then Proline would be my pick, If you like NTS then old school Italian plates (Boen, Galaxy, WIP) are the wat to go.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:36 AM   #9
quadbob

Cool boots

agreed the redline is the way to, at least for indoors. as for outdoors the bonts are great.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #10
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Here's a thought!

If you like the look of the Boen. Flemo004 on here sells a Boen copy, which is quite nice

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...light=flemo004

There is the link to the appropriate thread.

Dillo! Yet again, lol!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote