S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old January 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Slam Iam

Default Snyder's Super Deluxe Skates Question

Doc,
I have my mom's skates on the bench. (a first for everything, mom always did her own fixin' she's 63 and finally at age 42 she trusts me) Anyhow, I noticed that her Super deluxe trucks have RF, RB, etc stamped on them ( I understand this is Right Front & Right Back etc...) What I'm wondering is, what, besides the stamp, makes them a RF or RB? Is there any geometry difference etc? Or is it so you can remember where you put them back?

I am teaching my kids to skate and this has mom ready to start again. She skated with us yesterday and man I forgot just how good she is. I guess I never respected how nice her skates are either, almost like I was the only one who knew anything... you know how childern can be

Anyhow her skates haven't been cared for in a while, and she asked me to do it, and I am honored to do so. I'd just like to know a bit more about the plate and trucks. Stamped on the plate it says Snyder's Super Deluxe Skates, jump bar says Douglass-Snyder Custom Built Skates.

Thanks
Slam
Slam Iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam Iam View Post
Doc,
I have my mom's skates on the bench. (a first for everything, mom always did her own fixin' she's 63 and finally at age 42 she trusts me) Anyhow, I noticed that her Super deluxe trucks have RF, RB, etc stamped on them ( I understand this is Right Front & Right Back etc...) What I'm wondering is, what, besides the stamp, makes them a RF or RB?

Nothing..

Is there any geometry difference etc?

No sir...

Or is it so you can remember where you put them back?

I believe that is the theory..

I am teaching my kids to skate and this has mom ready to start again. She skated with us yesterday and man I forgot just how good she is. I guess I never respected how nice her skates are either, almost like I was the only one who knew anything... you know how childern can be

Yeah it's always quite a shock when we realize our parents were a whole lot more on the ball than we gave 'em credit for...

Anyhow her skates haven't been cared for in a while, and she asked me to do it, and I am honored to do so. I'd just like to know a bit more about the plate and trucks. Stamped on the plate it says Snyder's Super Deluxe Skates, jump bar says Douglass-Snyder Custom Built Skates.

Those are Dayton parts.. Snyder was in Dayton Ohio years ago.. They moved it to California in the early 80s if I have my dates correct..

Thanks
Slam
The Super D and the Advantage use the same truck geometry, but your Mom's probably have the heavy weights on 'em.... The Advantage is lighter than the Super D by a good margin..

If they have not been worked on in a while they can probably use some new bushings in the suspension ASAP.. That is the one thing that does not hold up well on a Snyder..

I have converted a few to urethane cushions and reverse king pins. Works out well..
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Slam Iam

Default Thanks a Million!

Great information Doc. The bushings are pretty nasty, they are definatly holding the shape they have been stuck in for a long time...and it aint the shape you'd like. I kinda like this plate and if I can get my hands on a set, I may just do a build with them. Thanks again!
Slam Iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #4
ricw91756

Default I rebuilt my Snyder SD's

During my skating era, after 5 years on a set of Sears skates, I was finally able to talk my mom into a set of Snyder skates. They were used cause my mom couldn't afford the $350+ for some new ones. (I'm talking back in the late 60's-70's). Boy was I proud of those Snyders!!!! Well now I'm almost 58 and 75lbs. overweight. So I decided to start skating again to lose weight. I recently purchased a pair of vintage Snyder SD with Riedell boots from ebay. When I got them, they were in worse shape than I thought. The tongue was the worst. Cushions colasped, jump bars bent, bearings wornout, etc. So here's what I did to mine. After a complete disassemble, I sent the boots to Riedell and had the tongues replaced. Completely cleaned and polished and lubricated the plates. I replaced the cushions, jump bars. Remounted the plates, new Qube 8 Ball bearings in Fo-Mac Velvets (99A) new insoles and strings and a pair of the vintage Triangle toe stops. I spent about $300 including the skates themselves. Out on the floor for the first time and they feel as good if not better than new. Just wanted to share...
ricw91756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I'm glad you are a happy sk8r. That is what is all about after all.