S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
ThePerambulator

Default Baxter (MN) Inline Marathon

Just signed up for the Baxter Inline Marathon in June. Has anyone done this event before? I'm curious to know what the road conditions were like.
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

How far is that from the Twin Cities? I am thinking about going, but the only way I can afford to is if I can stay with family in Egan. I need a June race, and this would be cheaper than Apostle Island.
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
How far is that from the Twin Cities? I am thinking about going, but the only way I can afford to is if I can stay with family in Egan. I need a June race, and this would be cheaper than Apostle Island.
It's about 2 hours from Minneapolis. Eagan is on the south side of the cities, so it would be a little further, maybe 2.5 hours.
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Alyosha

I'm doing this one for the first time this year. Despite living in the twin cities I've never made it to this race before. I don't think the road conditions are great, but I don't think they're awful either.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #5
mnspeed

This is actually one of my favorite races. Great hometown feel to it, plus since it is early June, it's many skater's first race of the year. So there's always a good turn out. The race itself is a two-lap race with a 180* turn around on a two lane road, no shoulder. The 180 comes twice about 7miles in if you do the full marathon, once if you do the half. The pavement is pretty smooth throughout. The only rough section is when you turn Highland Scenic Road and part of the neighborhood area, but that's only a few miles total. There are manhole covers that you must watch for or be ready for. Most hazards will be marked or have a cone near or on. Overall, this race is really fun, I think, anyone will have fun.
mnspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnspeed View Post
This is actually one of my favorite races. Great hometown feel to it, plus since it is early June, it's many skater's first race of the year. So there's always a good turn out. The race itself is a two-lap race with a 180* turn around on a two lane road, no shoulder. The 180 comes twice about 7miles in if you do the full marathon, once if you do the half. The pavement is pretty smooth throughout. The only rough section is when you turn Highland Scenic Road and part of the neighborhood area, but that's only a few miles total. There are manhole covers that you must watch for or be ready for. Most hazards will be marked or have a cone near or on. Overall, this race is really fun, I think, anyone will have fun.
Thanks for the info! It will be my second race of the year if you count the Metrodome.
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
Thanks for the info! It will be my second race of the year if you count the Metrodome.
If I make it, it will be my third race, counting Metrodome. Metrodome counts, it was supposed to be marathon distance, notwithstanding the timing issue.
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #8
mnspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
If I make it, it will be my third race, counting Metrodome. Metrodome counts, it was supposed to be marathon distance, notwithstanding the timing issue.
I forgot to mention apostle Island to you... In my very honest, humble opinion, if I had to choose between Apostle and Baxter, I'd definitely go with Apostle. Smoothest race course I've ever skated, no lie. It's three laps on perfect pavement. A lot of really good skaters and teams are actually coming to this race because of how nice it is, and really just because of the road. Yes it can get a little spendy doing this race and having a good time management (taking the ferry if you're on the main land, hotel, ferry time, driving, etc) but it is definitely worth one's while.
mnspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnspeed View Post
I forgot to mention apostle Island to you... In my very honest, humble opinion, if I had to choose between Apostle and Baxter, I'd definitely go with Apostle. Smoothest race course I've ever skated, no lie. It's three laps on perfect pavement. A lot of really good skaters and teams are actually coming to this race because of how nice it is, and really just because of the road. Yes it can get a little spendy doing this race and having a good time management (taking the ferry if you're on the main land, hotel, ferry time, driving, etc) but it is definitely worth one's while.
I'm signed up for both! I'm from MN, so why not. We're lucky to have so many races in close proximity.
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Alyosha

http://www.inlineskatempls.com/?p=4315

The race was this morning. The weather was perfect and the skating was great. How'd any participants here do?

I skated as strongly as I was able - finished a ways behind the leaders - but this was probably my best marathon ever. I was able to hang with the surges of the pack I was in the whole time and finish with enough energy to stay ahead of much of that pack.

And the weather was fantastic.
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
ThePerambulator

Nice work Dale. I finished about 2 seconds behind you

Definitely my best marathon ever. It was my first race on speed skates. Upgraded from 100mm Rollerblade speedmachine rec skates to Bont Z with 110s this year, and beat my previous best marathon by 9 minutes already. Got my first taste of the podium as well, though there were only 3 guys in my age group.

Weather was great but I wish the course would have been marked a little better...one 8"x10" arrow isn't ideal, especially on a course that is about as complicated as a marathon course can get. A third of the paceline I was in bit the dust and missed one particular turn towards the end. Overall had a lot of fun. Looking forward to Apostle next weekend.
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Alyosha

Great race - the jump from 1:3X to 1:2X in a marathon is a big one; and one not a lot of people make.

I agree on the course marking. I missed a couple turns during the race while I was skating by myself and, despite pouring over the map beforehand, I never had any idea where I was. But I was one of the lucky ones in your pace line who made that turn near the end - it completely sneaked up on us.