S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 31st, 2014, 09:31 PM   #21
Posey

Daveho- I find 3 hours of derby practice pretty exhausting! I might not be in the best shape (ha!) but it certainly leaves me barely able to function. Im not sure intermittent is how Id describe it as I never seem to get more than enough time to gulp some water before Im getting back on track. Infact yesterday I had to take myself out for a while near the end as I was so wobbly I thought I was going to injure myself. Otherwise, endurance is not something I do much of, Im trying to build myself up as I am definitely more of a sprinter.

I agree I might not actually need any supplements/ additional electrolytes, but it does seem to help. And if its a placebo, fine, but it seems to be a placebo that helps! I will try going back to plain water for a bit and see if the hangovers come back :-S Not sure I could be dehydrated as I drink a fair bit and I always end up peeing all night (sorry tmi!)

Your suggestion I could be hypoglycemic- I have family with extreme issues with reactive hypoglycemia, so I would not be surprised, and for a while I was convinced I was similar and ended up on a crazy restricted low GI diet that did me no good (though I lost a ton of weight). But I started eating more normally again and it didnt seem to affect me much, so I have put that on the back burner. I totally agree about building diets on ridiculous crutches, I ate cheese, meat and lettuce and not a lot else for 3 months, looking back its the stupidest thing imaginable!

Sk8formiles- thank you for the suggestion! That looks like the kind of thing Im looking for

Mort- I cant even imagine working like that. I have food within reach every second of the day! Id be a sobbing mess I agree about avoiding over-fortifying, I probably end up over-diluting everything. I get a bit scared of all the general suppliments people can get with 1000% GDA of stuff on them, I mean, its not like your body can cope with that surely?

bjvircks- thanks, I will have a look for saltstick.

evilzzz- thats really interesting, Id be interested to hear how you get on with it. Im always worried that when someone is talking about carbohydrates that dont act like carbs that it cant be as good as it sounds!

Foot2big- that sounds awful especially if it was caused by the water!

Trailguy- Im scared of spilling milk as I get really shaky by the end of a session, but I will try and give it a go!

Thank you all again, youve given me lots to think about!
Posey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:51 PM   #22
Posey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Maybe try using water during practice but eating a banana and a cup of chocolate milk right after.
Love bananas and chocolate milk not going to be hard to follow that advice! Ill work out what to do after Ive spilt it later.

Ive never used sports drinks with sugars in them- but I have eaten snickers bars in the middle of training (and once half a bag of jelly babies when a friend got worried during a phase where I thought Id inherited reactive hypoglycemia and I was "crashing") and it produces a euphoric high (invincible!) then an almighty low (hysterical sobbing) which is one of the reasons Im looking for low/no sugar drinks.

Given that theres so much advice here, I'll try what youre suggesting and test out some different ones over 2 week periods. Worth trying at any rate!

Thedonnybrook- Mostly 1 hour sessions, some 1.5h and occasionally 3 hour. I dont usually take anything more than water for the 1 hour sessions, except for kettlebells as I know I will be working at maximum for all but 10 of those 60 minutes and I sweat like my body is trying to wring every drop of moisture out of me (or thats how it feels like at the time). The 3 hour sessions leave me shaking and barely functional. Could my inexperience/ poor overall fitness be making what is a slow and short workout for others into a marathon for me? Or I could just be a wimp. also I suppose I had been taking the electrolyte drinks during exercise but with the aim that it would be helping with recovery, but maybe Im just going about it the wrong way.

Thank you again
Posey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:14 PM   #23
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Given that theres so much advice here, I'll try what youre suggesting and test out some different ones over 2 week periods. Worth trying at any rate!
Things you want to track:
  • Soreness the next day.
  • Energy level the next day/ability to work out 2 days in a row.
  • General feel two days later.
  • Ability to get to sleep that night.
  • Quality of sleep (you can get an app on your phone that uses the accelerometer to track how much you move around at night, or you can just rate how tired you are/how hard it is to convince yourself to get out of bed).
  • Any nausea, upset stomachs, problems swallowing, etc.
  • Level of hunger.
  • Any cravings - this is your body telling you that your need some nutrient.

There are other things which will help you dial in on your exact needs, but these points should be more than enough to get a general idea if an approach is working.

As for staying hydrated, the standard check is urine color. Unfortunately this doesn't tell you anything until a couple of hours too late. It also doesn't work as well if you have unabsorbed B vitamins. Headaches and skin that doesn't snap back when pinched are more indicative and real-time, but only happen when you already have a more serious problem. Overhydrating (and, more severely, water poisoning) is also a problem, but I've never had to deal with it, so I don't know much about it.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:42 AM   #24
PBLsQuad450

No, it's not a lack of conditioning... Everyone is different. Weather, genetics, you name it, it all causes different reactions to physical stress. I put a scoop of Warrior Blend protein in coconut water and I get everything I want. But it isn't too pricey here in the states. I had to experiment a lot. Whey made my stomach upset for example. If it's crazy hot and I go for a 20 mile skate I will need a Cliff Shot in cold water. It has sugar and electrolytes and I need it. You can literally feel the difference immediately. But that's in the heat of the summer only. Your timing is a tough one, that would be hard on me too. I like to be done and showered by 8:00 at the latest. Watermelon is awesome, as suggested! Try it at night and in the morning, it might shake out those cobwebs. Eat something before bed too, light but with protein. I track my diet periodically to see what I'm getting. I don't get crazy and do it all the time, but a few weeks here and there. It is quite an eye opener. Derby is sprint work and kettle bells are strength work... Try for 1.5g protein per lb. of body weight or a little more... I was anti-engineered nutrition for a long time, now I employ it all the time I just don't substitute it for real nutrition. I eat 165g protein when I'm lifting and that's just not easy to get. I think Eric Heiden's book is great, I'd suggest you check it out, it's a quick read and great on the basics. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing great stuff!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:11 PM   #25
ese002

There are some advantages to separating your calories from from your electrolytes. For pure electrolyte drinks I have used Nuun and Electromix.

Nuun comes in a tube of fast dissolving tablets. Fast and effective but not exactly cheap.

Electromix is less convenient but much cheaper. It comes in small packets of powder.

Both are essentially sugar and calorie free and provide a better mix of electrolytes than just adding salt to your water. I can get Nuun at some sporting goods stores but I have only been able to find Electromix online.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #26
evilzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post

evilzzz- thats really interesting, Id be interested to hear how you get on with it. Im always worried that when someone is talking about carbohydrates that dont act like carbs that it cant be as good as it sounds!
Well - you asked.

Superstarch claims to have a molecular weight of 500,000-700,000 (vs 180 for Glucose or 300-3000 for maltodextrose). Result? Slow absorption in your gut that doesn't trigger an insulin response which would typically inhibits fat oxidation in standard sports drinks.

You may find this interesting:
http://ironmanin10.blogspot.co.uk/20...tion-ucan.html
http://ironmanin10.blogspot.co.uk/20...n-vs-heed.html

FWIW I use it and find it GREAT.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #27
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Well - you asked.

Superstarch claims to have a molecular weight of 500,000-700,000 (vs 180 for Glucose or 300-3000 for maltodextrose). Result? Slow absorption in your gut that doesn't trigger an insulin response which would typically inhibits fat oxidation in standard sports drinks.
The other way to avoid an insulin response is to not eat sports foods when you are sitting around watching TV. Any even moderately intense workout will burn more calories per unit time than your digestive system can deliver. Result: no insulin response because the glucose is taken up right away. Slowing down the absorption just means that most of those calories will not be available until after your workout or race are over.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #28
shesk8

I'm a fan of coconut water too. during skating, I use a mix of water and zero calorie vitamin water(containing electrolytes). sometimes just a packet of emergen-c in water (contains electrolytes and a mix of vits) - both a re low or zero calories drinks.

pre-skate I mix an emergen-c into fruit smoothie of: coconut water, ice, mixed fruits (banana,mango, pineapple, orange), and a little kefir to cream it up. I am not a fan of eating lots before working out so, a light smoothie for breakfast followed by real food post-skate.

there are tons of electrolyte drinks out there, just read labels, and steer clear of sugars and food colorings, and you 'll be fine.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote