S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 10th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Speed wads up neck muscles

Got with some adult fast skaters. When I was done my neck was all wadded up. My posture must be wrong for speed. Should I be up over my skate or slightly bent over or some other thing?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Derrick, proper form in an isometric (static) position requires you to bend at the knees, with your weight back like you are sitting in a chair. This will naturally bring your upper body down, and feel like your chest is nearing your knees. Curve your back, relax your shoulders, and you should have a C-shape with your upper body. This is the "professional" position. Based on your described pain, you probably aren't bending your knees enough, rather, bending at the waist. This will cause you to look up more so you can see forward, and work those neck muscles. Also, if you aren't used to this position, and your helmet is heavy, even good form can cause a bit of neck soreness at first.

This is a good example, though keep in mind the guy on the skates is a multiple time world champion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclRy_eSzVg
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
Derrick, proper form in an isometric (static) position requires you to bend at the knees, with your weight back like you are sitting in a chair. This will naturally bring your upper body down, and feel like your chest is nearing your knees. Curve your back, relax your shoulders, and you should have a C-shape with your upper body. This is the "professional" position. Based on your described pain, you probably aren't bending your knees enough, rather, bending at the waist. This will cause you to look up more so you can see forward, and work those neck muscles. Also, if you aren't used to this position, and your helmet is heavy, even good form can cause a bit of neck soreness at first.

This is a good example, though keep in mind the guy on the skates is a multiple time world champion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclRy_eSzVg
Yes that describes it well. I'm sure I was bent at the waist quite a bit.
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
WJCIV

By "with", do you mean in a pack? A lot of people who aren't use to packs keep a lot of tension in their upper bodies to keep their arms ready to push other skaters out of the way or put a hand on a back to maintain their distance. Often that tension is held in the shoulders and causes neck pain.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default Putting for aside...

if you got into exertion that your not accustomed to regularly you probably tensed up, its quite normal. Think about weight lifting as an example. The first times I ever remember benching close to my limit (10/8/6 sets of reps and such) I couldn't help but tense my neck up during the push. You may have experienced the same thing during your skate, while turning your neck.

I'm sure some form adjustment will also help, but the key to skating fast (or any speed/strength output really)is to relax. A relaxed muscle is a fast muscle. its hard to relax while your cranking out near limit power and speed. try working on that.
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
if you got into exertion that your not accustomed to regularly you probably tensed up, its quite normal. Think about weight lifting as an example. The first times I ever remember benching close to my limit (10/8/6 sets of reps and such) I couldn't help but tense my neck up during the push. You may have experienced the same thing during your skate, while turning your neck.

I'm sure some form adjustment will also help, but the key to skating fast (or any speed/strength output really)is to relax. A relaxed muscle is a fast muscle. its hard to relax while your cranking out near limit power and speed. try working on that.
I'm sure my form needs work, but I was trying to stay out of the way of the superfast shuffle line, but if I went to the inside I was faster than the flow. So I was looking forward and backwards all the time. Also, I have an art set up, I can still go pretty fast, but my posture is even more important or scoooooooooooooooot, pow!
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Art boots are hard to go fast on if you ask me. I got to try some over the weekend of EWNB. The axle was pushed back compared to mine with a big lift compared to my freestyle boot.

A "quad speed" style boot would better fit in with the shuffle line. I seriously doubt I could succesfully shuffle at speed with an art setup, not that it ca't be done, just hard to do.
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Derrick

Default You nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post

That position worked great. I'm not going to win any speed competitions, but I went a lot faster with no strain. I'm adding a speed round to my routine. I find it useful for gaining confidence in all my skating.
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Art boots are hard to go fast on if you ask me. I got to try some over the weekend of EWNB. The axle was pushed back compared to mine with a big lift compared to my freestyle boot.

A "quad speed" style boot would better fit in with the shuffle line. I seriously doubt I could succesfully shuffle at speed with an art setup, not that it ca't be done, just hard to do.
It's not my usual crowd, they are a tight nit bunch. But it's after my shift and the DJ's claim that have never seen me skate. They have, they just don't remember it being me. So I thought I'd try it out. It's good to know and push your limits a bit.
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

When I was starting to put in big miles on a road bicycle the neck was the hardest thing to get accustomed to, the torso is pointed at a 45% angle forward and the neck has to be in a position to track progress instead of being in line with the backbone, it's very unnatural and takes some getting used to, not noticeable in normal activities but when doing it for an extended duration the muscles cramp up, with time the muscles will adapt, ibuprofen will help, you really only need to train the muscles once, each season is easier, I mention bicycling because it's a similar position, I once lived on the west coast and used to skate distance along the beach fast, the neck went tru similar uncomfortableness as when beginning a season of bicycling, but it wasn't bad as the muscles were already in place just needed tweeking.
It's something you will adapt to.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote