S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #1
markewallace

Default Good set of pads / guards for fitness inline skating?

Hello. I have recently (as in, today) gotten back into inline skating after a 20 year hiatus. I have a brand new pair of K2 V02 100 BOAs waiting for me at home right now.

I'm finding it really difficult to figure out what the best pads and guards are for what I want to do.

I plan to use the skates for fitness skating; probably starting with just a few miles at a time until I get my skate legs back under me and get accustomed to the 100mm wheels. Eventually, I want to be doing sessions more in the 5-15 mile range.

Can anyone recommend good, legit, non-toy, adult-sized skate protection for distances in that range? The cooler (as in "non-hot") the better, as the Texas heat gets pretty rough at times.

Thanks!!

Mark
markewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:13 AM   #2
WJCIV

Some of it depends on your technique. If you are prone to falling forward at low speeds knee pads are a good thing. I personally wouldn't bother because they hinder bending and it isn't an area I bang up much.

Definitely get a helmet. I recommend any bicycle helmet that fits your head well. More/bigger vents means a cooler head, but you pay for that (with money, not in some sort of tradeoff). A helmet should be considered a necessity.

The second piece of equipment to consider are gloves/wrist guards. Hard plastic is not allowed in many races, but if you never want to race wrist guards are great. Sprained and broken wrists are among the common injuries sustained by recreational skaters, with "common" being a relative term. If you might want to get into racing someday, it will be odd just taking off the wrist guards. You may look into gloves with a velcro plastic plate. That gives you the wrist guard protection when the plate is on, but you can take off the illegal part and still have the same feel on your hands for a race. I go bare handed these days.

Beyond that knee pads, elbow pads, and hip pads are things to consider. They all hinder movement to some degree to give you protection. More hindrance means more protection. Whether you want them is personal preference. I don't use any of them and never have.

If you really get into it and have a fear of falling you can shave your legs. Contrary to what pop culture thinks this is not for aerodynamics. Cleaning out road rash full of hair is tedious and painful. Cleaning out road rash is painful anyway, but picking out the hairs makes it worse. You probably are not at this level.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 02:34 AM   #3
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Full pads. O'neil crash girdle (dirtbike) Helmet and such.

My stuff isn't aerodynamic, but it's all I trust. 187 and ProDesign. Triple 8 is decent too. ProTec helmets.

Of course I eat it real good 2 or three times a day. lol

Google knee gaskets. They're what I wear if I'm trail/rink skating.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:46 AM   #4
markewallace

OK. Good feedback so far. Thank you.

I expect that at least for a little while, I will probably be a little fall prone. I haven't skated for ~20 years, and back then it was on Macro Equipes. I don't recall the wheel size, but I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near the 90/90/100/100 on these new skates. And, in those 20 years, I have gone from age 28 to, well, not 28.

So, I'm thinking wrist guards and knee pads for now. Probably won't go elbow or hip pads. And I have a recent (and good) cycling helmet already that I can use. I don't plan to race, so I'm not worried about transitioning off of wrist guards.

In terms of brands, 187, Prodesign, and Triple 8 have been mentioned. Is one of them (or any other one) particularly recommended for longer distances? I'm guessing that I can be comfortable in pretty much anything for a few miles, but I want to choose something now that I will be comfortable (enough) having on for 10+ miles.

- Mark
Old September 23rd, 2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

http://www.allsportprotection.com/Sm...yCphoC397w_wcB

These knee's will be your most comfy and still have some protection. (Rink trail, etc...)

The triple 8 wrists are super light, so that won't be an issue either.

Good luck!
Old September 25th, 2014, 03:31 AM   #6
markewallace

Well, I went with the Triple 8 Saver Series package off of Amazon for starters, along with a new helmet. Got the helmet because, even though my current cycling helmet has never had a crash, it is about seven years old. Figured it's time for a new one.

I have the Smith gaskets in my shopping cart though in case I decide that I hate the pads in the Triple 8 kit. Thought I'd try to keep things relatively inexpensive to start with by getting the T8 kit. If I'm happy with the stuff, then I got away with it inexpensively. If not, then I have no problem with moving to something else better.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Oh...and the new skates arrived. Since the T8 kit hasn't arrived yet, I haven't tried to do anything real on the skates, but I did take them out into the street for a tiny, tiny little test drive.

Let's just say that this is going to take some time. `Nuff said.

- Mark
Old September 27th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Awesome! Strap up and get to posting in the "What did you do today?" Thread.

Old October 1st, 2014, 02:46 AM   #8
markewallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
Awesome! Strap up and get to posting in the "What did you do today?" Thread.

In due time. At the moment, my WDYDT posts would be more than a little embarrassing.

Have been out three times so far and survived them all, so that's good.

- Mark

Tags
fitness, pads, protection, skate