S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #21
JandKLarson

For me, the first outdoor practice of every season (like right about now), as well as the first indoor practice in September, my lower back hurts. You'd think doing one or the other continually throughout the year (in phases, depending on the weather), there wouldn't be any discomfort, but there is. Since I (we) do skate indoors the majority of the year, the outdoor discomfort does diminish quickly, thank heavens... And when we have newer skaters come to our indoor practice, and they say their lower back is hurting, we always say "it's normal" and it will decrease with continued practice.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #22
elgreek84

I'm curious as to how much cardio has to do with all this, for example

If you can run 3 miles
how many miles can you do skating?

I've heard that it's something like half, for example if you can run a half maraton, you can skate a full marathon? Is that more or less (of course not exactly) a good estimate of how much cardio is needed?

If I want to skate 30 miles, do I need to be able to run 15 miles?
elgreek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #23
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreek84 View Post
If you can run 3 miles

I've heard that it's something like half, for example if you can run a half maraton, you can skate a full marathon? Is that more or less (of course not exactly) a good estimate of how much cardio is needed?
I’ve heard it’s around 2:1 to 2.5:1, and that cycling is another 2:1 beyond that. But that’s for effort per mile, not distance or endurance.

Quote:
Fortunately not. I’m not sure I could run 15 miles unless weapons were involved.
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #24
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:

I'd say if you can run 8 miles, you can skate 30. Plenty of caveats involved, though, on form, pace, etc. I mean, I think that I could skate 100 miles, but it wouldn't be pretty. That doesn't mean I could run a marathon (doing the conversion in the other direction).
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #25
jayman

Best gym workout for skating muscles ????????????

I have the one word answer

PLYO'S
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #26
Greenetuckian

Quote:

If you can run 3 miles

I myself have skated 13 miles but know I could not run 1 mile without feeling like someone kicked me in the stomach.

Quote:
Wolfgang wrote
Squats.
Almost everything you do in any form of skating has a lot to do with bending your knees and supporting yourself with your leg muscles.
Doesn't matter if you do them at the gym or at home.
I think I am inclined to agree, I added squats to my workout Thur. and here it is Sun. morning and my glutes and quads are still sore. I had been dead lifting and leg pressing so I was not worried about soreness, boy was I wrong.
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #27
elgreek84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenetuckian View Post
I myself have skated 13 miles but know I could not run 1 mile without feeling like someone kicked me in the stomach.
*CHUCKLE*!

Thanks for all the comments!
elgreek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #28
online inline

Quote:
one form of training will supplement another, but they are not equivalent. I can tell you this for a fact, as my training partners and i avidly cross-train, each a little differently, but we all find, like you Greentuckian, that there are different sets of muscles used in each activity. You get some benefit, but it is not the same thing. It's also important, how you do any one for of exercise. And frankly, elgree, for most people skating a marathon the first time, cardio is not the limiting factor by a long shot, so while a strong cardivascular capabilty will help, it is not a good determinant in any way of whether or not a particular skater can do a skating marathon.

Quote:
...I added squats to my workout Thur. and here it is Sun. morning and my glutes and quads are still sore. I had been dead lifting and leg pressing so I was not worried about soreness, boy was I wrong.
Like i said above. When you add in a new form of exercise, it's not a bad idea to integrate it slowly, becuase stories like this are the norm, not the exception. It's also true that if you want to see continued benefit from the gains you are acquiring in a form of cross-training, doing it at least once per week is necessary just to maintain current levels, but actually progressing or adding to what you;ve gained will take at least twice or more per week (or per training cycle, becuase some people;s training cycle is 10 days long).
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #29
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
for most people skating a marathon the first time, cardio is not the limiting factor by a long shot
I can say “AMEN!” to that. I did my first marathon a week ago and after I crossed the finish line I found some grass and flopped flat on my back. I was completely beat, but not winded or even breathing heavy. It was pretty much my core muscles that were toast, not my chest.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #30
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I can say “AMEN!” to that. I did my first marathon a week ago and after I crossed the finish line I found some grass and flopped flat on my back. I was completely beat, but not winded or even breathing heavy. It was pretty much my core muscles that were toast, not my chest.
yeah, remebering back, it was just pretty much physical exhaustion, based on skating so inefficiently. And i think you are right- it's a lot of core and leg muscles that fatigue out first.

Really, Bryan, the low hanging fruit proverbally speaking of the new marathon skater is..... TECHNIQUE! That's right, improving techjnique at this stage of the game will improve your performance by leaps and bounds. Conditioning gains will obviouksly help, but that is a very hard fought battle, as we all know. Later on, it becomes more important.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #31
kmac27

There are 2 types of stretching

Dynamic stretching: should be done before exercise, anything that is movement is dynamic stretching, body squats, arm circles, lunges etc etc

Static stretching: should be done after a workout such as toe touches calve stretches etc etc. Anything that is stretching a muscle without movement is static stretching.
kmac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #32
Yonah
This Train's Rollin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit View Post
My limiting factor is my hip flexor muscles right where the quads meet the torso in front, from pushing. I am trying some different push-off techniques to minimize this. I've had a tight psoas muscle before, and it's the toughest to stretch.
Lunges are great for the iliopsoas. Also, try putting the knee of the leg you're stretching up on a stool or chair slightly behind you (the stool or chair should only be about knee-high), and then doing the lunge. If it's a rolling stool or chair you can even make the stretch a little deeper in a controlled way by rolling it back with your knee.

As with most stretches, don't bounce, and try to breathe into the muscle as you're stretching it. Also, hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds, especially if you're very tight.

Check out Bob Anderson's book, "Stretching" for more good stretches. It's a classic, it's in all the bookstores, and it's only about $16.
Yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #33
coyote39

I find that training legs in the gym a couple of days a week helps to lessen my shin problems. It also helps make bigger quads which are a pleasant side effect.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #34
evilzzz

Quote:
When I started on inlines my lower back would give me fits on long skates. Not like injury pain but muscle fatigue. I would concentrate on your core muscles (abs, back and obliques) for stability and of course your legs. Use higher reps for endurance instead of lower reps for strength. For balance stand on one leg as long as you can to help strengthen your ankles. As you get better on your skates and are able to go faster and longer you probably will need to concentrate on upper body at the gym as skating will really work your legs.

Top advice - that would be my view also!
Unless you really want to focus on a specific area (eg ankle strength), start out with the core and stretch out to include legs and upper body.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #35
Npawn

Quote:
Thanks a lot for that! I was a afraid about the "fanny pack" deal, maybe I'll get one of those hydration packs, I guess I can use it when I run or bike as well. Good deal.

Its not a "fanny pack" okay!! Its an urban hand bag
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM   #36
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Default Stretches befor skating

Quote:
can someone talk about the pre-exercise routine warmups? I just went skating for 4 miles right now and my back and shin were really stiff, I just realized I didn't do any stretches, what kind of things do you guys do before you go on a long skate? helmet? knee pads? or do these things just get in the way? Also, what do you do about water? do you guys carry any? how? Thanks in advance!
I did dynamic stretching yesterday before I skated 10 + 10K with a short rest between them. I recommend http://www.teamfast.net for a well illustrated guide for static and dynamic stretches.

[URL="http://www.albanygtspeed.com"]GT Speed (Albany)[/URL]

Last edited by albanyinline; May 23rd, 2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo
albanyinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM   #37
albanyinline
GT Speed (Albany, GA)

Default Sore Back muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedLimit View Post
For me, my lower back does get sore, but mostly after I skate. My limiting factor is my hip flexor muscles right where the quads meet the torso in front, from pushing. I am trying some different push-off techniques to minimize this. I've had a tight psoas muscle before, and it's the toughest to stretch. For my back, I lay on my belly and do the "superman" stretch for strengthening.
As for cardio, I can do the elliptical for hours, which I think is better than any stairmaster. Plus you can set the resistance if you want a more "stairmaster-feel"

The abdominal muscles "abs" work with the deep back muscles in tandem, to keep the torso in the skating position. If one works to make the abs stronger, that will the take some of the load off the back muscles and avoid lower back pain.

[URL="http://www.albanygtspeed.com"]GT Speed (Albany)[/URL]
albanyinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #38
skater_gator

Default youtube vids of gym exercises for skaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPLGXa62qc

made some vids of my favorite exercises that I've learned.
I'm about to do some core and a slideboard one I really love.
skater_gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #39
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater_gator View Post

Please, post away, these look great. Any suggestions on weight training?
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #40
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater_gator View Post

Geez that band looks uncomfortable. Never saw a thing to stand on like that before either. Very interesting.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote