S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 06:18 AM   #281
esef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Welcome aboard Esef! In case you hadn't noticed there are only two of us checking in here monthly, you make THREE! Hope you stick around man. Plenty of room! Cheers.
Thanks!

Had an all-time-best month for May: 300 miles on inline skates.
esef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2020, 07:25 PM   #282
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
Another zero month from a Garmin perspective. From an actual perspective, it wasn't that bad, definitely not the couch potato activity level of Late March/Early April. I've been doing daily fast walks around the neighbourhood of around 4 miles or so. Curiously, Google Fit calls some of those outings "runs". I think the threshold is about 3.25mph.

I'm hoping that, in June I can do something interesting enough to record on the Garmin. It won't happen immediately, though. Cycling is still out because the tail bone. Getting the scooter will require a compelling business reason to go the office. Skates, I have, but I want to see results of a bone density scan first. That was supposed to be today but it has been delayed until Thursday and I may not see the results in Monday. At any rate, I also think I need be free of even transient pain from the ribs and spine before I put wheels on my feet. I'm not there yet.

Skatelog is supposed to shutdown sometime this month so this would seem to be my last update here. I wish it were more positive but that's just the way it is. With July rolls in, I will setup a new thread of SkateDebate.com unless someone else gets there first.

Ha! Skatelog is still here.

For June, I have good news, bad news, and worse news.

The good news is that I actually did record something on the Garmin. The bad news is that none of it was skating. The worse news is that there may not be any skating for the foreseeable future and even beyond.

My fast walks have evolved into a mix of walking and light running. Running wasn't really a goal. I was just hunting for a stride change that would reduce heel impact and it seems that a light and low running stride works. I am very wary of running as I do not have the knees for it. It also challenging to get enough oxygen breathing through my nose and mask.

If did not know otherwise, I would say I was somewhere between two and four weeks from resuming skating. I started the month with the notion that I needed to be sure there was no lingering rib pain that might provoke a repeat of the last crash. So that would mean there should be some skating in July.

But that is not likely. I went in for a bone density scan early last month and came out with a diagnosis of "severe osteoporosis". We're still trying to figure out why this happened and what to do about it. In the short run, it means that even that even a moderate fall could fracture multiple bones and send me to the hospital. So, no skating. In the long run, it may never improve enough to make skating acceptably safe.

I am still not able to ride a bike either. I have ordered an upgrade for my stranded push scooter. It can't arrive too soon. Scootering isn't in the same class as skating but it is still good exercise and I think it is compatible with my body as it is.

Last edited by ese002; July 2nd, 2020 at 07:55 PM. Reason: missing word
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2020, 07:53 PM   #283
Joey

Finally back on skates and skateboards. I also commute by bike now, instead of skates and still do power walks with my wife as she is still working from home and fearful of returning to the gym.

So, for June:

Walking:17 mi
Cycling: 60 mi
Roller Skating: 60 mi
Skateboarding: 23 mi

For a June total of 160 miles and YTD 1,427 with a stretch of 66 skate days in a row!

I'm OK with it. Given the circumstances. Not how I imagined it going down fo sho.

This is what 6 months without a miss looks like:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...95&oe=5F2892CC
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:12 AM   #284
Joey

Quote:
Ha! Skatelog is still here.
My current FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/joey.brooks.10441

If this place disappears you can look me up there. Let me know if you are on FB and active in any skate groups where you may end up posting your monthly totals.

Quote:
So that would mean there should be some skating in July....But that is not likely.
Many, many challenges right now for everyone. Wishing you all the best man! Heal fast, STOP FALLING!!

Cheers,

Joey