S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old July 10th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
musicmad

Default Zytel Hubs Vs Metal Hubs ??

Hi to all skaters, for those of you who were familiar with my last post I could do with your advice again...

Ok! I'm looking to go for either the Riedell RONIN 265 or the Riedell Celebrity 120 both come with the same wheel Radar pure 66mm 78A with Zytel black hub. But as an option I can upgrade these in replace for Radar Fuel 66mm 78A with Turbo Metal Hub. In the case of the Zytel Hub Vs the Turbo Metal Hub which out of these by far is best ? The design of the Zytel Hub has separated gaps through it which I donít like whereas the Turbo Metal Hub has no gaps which seems to me to be more solid, am I right?

Bearings!! which is the best brand on the market ? Would I be right in saying Bones Swiss bearings ? Also for the bearing case shielded or sealed ?
musicmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Armadillo

Default They are both mediocre wheels

The hub is not going to mstter much, but SPOKED wheels are better outdoors.
Can you DOWNGRADE the wheels to CRAP ones?
If so, do it, then scrap them out and buy Velocity Race wheels
If not, then WEAR them out quickly!

-Armadillo
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #3
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
Hi to all skaters, for those of you who were familiar with my last post I could do with your advice again...

Ok! I'm looking to go for either the Riedell RONIN 265 or the Riedell Celebrity 120 both come with the same wheel Radar pure 66mm 78A with Zytel black hub. But as an option I can upgrade these in replace for Radar Fuel 66mm 78A with Turbo Metal Hub. In the case of the Zytel Hub Vs the Turbo Metal Hub which out of these by far is best ? The design of the Zytel Hub has separated gaps through it which I donít like whereas the Turbo Metal Hub has no gaps which seems to me to be more solid, am I right?
I'd skip the upgrade, and wear the stock wheels...to get the feel of outdoor skating first. Later, you can get a better outdoor wheel....which will hopefully not be a Radar. They are better known for indoor wheels. E-bay is ripe with with good outdoor wheel deals.

Quote:
Bearings!! which is the best brand on the market ? Would I be right in saying Bones Swiss bearings ? Also for the bearing case shielded or sealed ?
Bones will be fine. I would get shielded and not sealed. You can always take a shield off and clean and lube them yourself if you get the shielded. Make sure to hide the open side of the bearing inside the wheel. If you do not mind spending extra money buying new bearings fairly often, and you do not like the dirty work, then buy the sealed.
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
musicmad

Quote:
Armadillo: The hub is not going to matter much, but SPOKED wheels are better outdoors.

Why!! are SPOKED wheels better for outdoors ?

Quote:
biff: I'd skip the upgrade, and wear the stock wheels...to get the feel of outdoor skating first. Later, you can get a better outdoor wheel....which will hopefully not be Radar. They are better known for indoor wheels.

Whatís wrong with RADAR wheels ? and if there better known for indoor wheels why are Riedell promoting them as an outdoor skate ?

Last edited by musicmad; July 12th, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #5
biffsk8er

Quote:
Whatís wrong with RADAR wheels ? and if there better known for indoor wheels why are Riedell promoting them as an outdoor skate ?
Nothing is wrong with them. I'd say buy the set up skates with those wheels. Try them out and see how they do. Radars were always a big seller for speed skating, but I am unfamiliar with their outdoor wheels. If they work, stick with them. If not, I can recommend some other brands for outdoor wheels.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Armadillo

Default Marketing of "outdoor" skates is by clueless people

Quote:
Why!! are SPOKED wheels better for outdoors ?
Spoked wheels are stronger. Outdoor skating puts LOTS more force & impact loads on wheels, trucks, plates, etc. The hollow aluminum hub flexes & deforms more at these higher loads. This can help with vibration dampening some though.

Quote:
They are too heavy & they have an average quality, mediocre rebound urethane. They are too squishy and steal too much energy. Ridell competes with Pacer, who make best outdoor wheels.

-Armadillo
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
musicmad

Thumbs up

Well i can put a lid on it now boys and call it a day, All research done and all parts chosen. Thanks again for all your advice!!

Boot: Riedell 265 RONIN Black Leather.

Plate: PowerDyne DynaPro Aluminum.

Bearings: Bones Swiss Bearings.

Wheels: Radar Fuel 66mm 78A With Turbo Metal Hub.

PD: Round Black Toe Stop.

Happy skating..

Musicmad.

Last edited by musicmad; July 13th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.