S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 29th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #21
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
If you want to know if music can kill a rink? Just watch the floor. When certain song sets come on and no one is skating-- then you know they are not enjoying themselves. And yet, I will hear owners and DJs give a thousand excuses

1. This is a jam night so even though only a few teens showed up we aren't playing that.

2. We know that half the rink is here for slow beats for their jam, but we don't like that music and so we are going to play fast jams all night

3. (telling someone who makes a request) "I dunno. I'll see."

4. If you want to hear a song.. let me know and I'll set it up (and then none of the songs play from anyone).

5. You can't make anyone happy with the music, so you just have to play the songs you know are good.

---

This isn't just jam nights. I have heard kiddie session skates play odd japanime sound tracks, and all sorts of stuff.

IMO a rink's success comes down to
1. Being accessible
2. Being affordable
3. Being clean
4. Good snacks
5. Good floor
6. Good music
7. Friendly service

Any one of those can kill a rink.
This is a very astute observation. It reminds me of when I started skating at our recently closed rink. In 1989 there was a regular crowd of at least 30-40 skaters at adult night. There was even a turntable, you could bring your own records, one girl skated certain songs with a tambourine in hand, and it was great fellowship.

Fast forward a couple of years, new management takes over, and it is all downhill from there. New management lied when they told me when they asked other skaters what they wanted to hear, and the majority said, oldies. None of us were ever asked what we wanted to hear. I was told, "it worked well at another rink..."

Well, our rink was not just another rink, and we were happy with the way things were. The result was, adult night came to and end. One by one, vid skaters just simply quit coming. And, it happened again, and again. Every adult skate was ruined by bad management.

The last operators at our rink weren't friendly, didn't keep it clean, and did not care if the DJ played raunchy crap. In the twenty years they ran the rink, the floor was coated once. It was a formula for failure.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #22
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Good Notes, On to RollOnAmerica Missy

Hi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40SumTing View Post
I see the problem now. The DJ is a guy in his early thirties: cocky, arrogant. He seems to think he's being paid to play HIS music. He doesn't realize that we're not PAYING to listen to HIS music o - o

o-o I'm starting to wonder if they hired him because he's a family friend which IMO is a NEVER a good idea.
Good Post, and Observation is Everything before you request a change.

BTW once again it is great that you are analyzing the problem and caught onto the cockiness of some males and now days some females. You have to ask this family friend question. And it isn't easy.., tread softly.

So Onto Missy an older DJ, young once in the 1980s.

Gosh Dang Missy did a great job this Wednesday, knowing Skating Music and she played requests for skaters that skate, quickly, not on some long drawn out time stamp. And even the fast skaters skated much more than usual to her selection of music plus requests. I told her she did great.

She did stop the girl jumping (girls on the floor) guy spins and jumps over. Good for Missy.

And the DJ whom I can not stand, named Z, for his slow and non skate able stuff came to skating and had a royal blast skating fast and reasonably clever. Side Surfed both ways weak on the left side and did other fun stuff he likes.

Which just shows you Z can skate to great skate music yet CAN NOT PLAY It.. Hey might be trainable.

And Missy asks for skaters to make requests and she will pull them up. Note: Remember what I wrote about the compliant, that do better as DJs. They watch, learn, listen, accomplish

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #23
40SumTing
New SoCal Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
BTW once again it is great that you are analyzing the problem and caught onto the cockiness of some males and now days some females. You have to ask this family friend question. And it isn't easy.., tread softly.
I know, I know. Not sure how to approach this but the owner and I get along pretty well. I'm more concerned about getting the stink eye from the DJ if he gets spoken to. Don't want/need negative vibe on the floor.

Quote:
Gosh Dang Missy did a great job this Wednesday, knowing Skating Music and she played requests for skaters that skate, quickly, not on some long drawn out time stamp. And even the fast skaters skated much more than usual to her selection of music plus requests.
Now that's a quality DJ, one that catering to her clients...the skaters. I'd love it if a DJ like her came to our rink but I think the owners are getting cost conscious (especially with the downturn in attendance) and are unlikely to pay for a professional DJ. Unfortunate.
Old June 5th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #24
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Wednesday RollOnAmerica was Great

Hi Again,

First the Progress,

Well once again Missy a slightly older lady, learning karate/judo, from the 80s was our DJ. And again the Music was great and if I put in requests, for some of the skaters I know on the floor, they were played promptly not on a long time stamp as some DJ's like our very young Z does.

Missy is always great, yet sometimes tougher than I would like.

Skating is for the skaters NOT the DJ's personal boom box, would be how I would describe her.

What was most interesting is that SHE(Missy) knew skate music, so you have to give up asking requests since you got good music to skate. I really need to ask her some of the songs she played since they play good in between some hard skating songs. Hard songs in a row are killers.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. Now our Rink Manager is receptive to improvement criticisms and I hope you can pull off skate music criticisms well. I am fortunate that I do have a Good DJ, and a nice Rink Manager. Our Z

P.S.-2 And yes Z's Stinky Face might bother me too when he plays again, yet bad skate music is bad skate music. And he is a good skater.
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:11 AM   #25
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
That problem exists in a lotta places unfortunately. Just because a DJ is also a skater that doesn't make him or her a skate DJ.

There is so much music out there to skate to it is difficult to fathom why songs would be repeatedly played week to week or even worse in the same session. A skate DJ should have some idea about the area surrounding the rink...the culture...the musical culture of the people in the area...the people who attend the rink and what they are used to skating to...a history of the rink...a skate DJ should have a playlist and change or morph it based on the requests he or she gets and that list should be specific to that particular session...I could go on and on.

Take a look at www.skategroove.com. Notice the names of the skate DJs from skate jam to skate jam. Notice how many of them are repeated from skate jam to skate jam. Why? Because they have those traits and more. These DJs are provided round trip air and hotels. Paid for transportation. Paid for meals and paid a salary on top of all that. Why? They understand skate music, skate culture, how to manage skaters on a skate floor, the speed of skaters, skate music from different parts of the country...they understand all of these things and keep in contact with skate clubs across the country to find out new trends in music and skate routines so that they can better manage the skate jam from the DJ booth. They put in work. Now contrast that with a neighborhood DJ who does the job for 50 dollars a night because they like music and wants everyone to hear what he or she likes. Getting the picture? Even a DJ that only skates JB is gonna play mostly JB music.

The problem you speak of is systemic because most so called DJs don't want to put in the work. Can bad music kill a rink? Probably not but a DJ that doesn't put in the work necessary to help grow the business will.
Mr. Williams said it all here!

Some are saying play organ music. A Bee Gees song (in the rinks I skate in that song would not be a favorite. I like the song but not for skating.) was also recommended as well as someone suggesting that oldies might not be the best music while another saying that the classics are bullet proof. For me this Bee Gee"s song is one I remember as one of my favorite slow skate songs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jhyHBoG-uZA

A good DJ learns his/her audience. What goes for one audience is taboo for another.

I was at a rink 2 nights ago (I frequented that rink 35 years ago - my first time back) and the old rink DJ was there. He played a good mix of music (my kind of skating music). At 11pm he made way for another DJ (the rink was to close at 1am). That DJ played more modern rap/mix music. Some of the music where the beat goes on and on and on. The beats were ok to skate to but not fully my cup of tea. The younger group who appeared to be regulars seemed to like the music. For me I had to realize that I wasn't the only person skating. No one can make me 100% happy -I can't even make me 100% happy. If I get 60% music I like that's a win. As old as I"m getting, I need the other 40% of the time to rest.

BTW - 35 years ago sometimes I would complain about that old DJ who did an excellent job a few nights ago.

Learn your audience, listen to both praises and complaints. Be open to change and remember that all top 40 music isn't necessarily good skating music. Lastly, don't discard late 70s/early 80s R&B music.